Heavily leaning towards an RS6 C7.5...

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Technoholic
Neutral

Heavily leaning towards an RS6 C7.5...

Post by Technoholic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Hello all

New member here but been browsing for a while.

I've recently sold my Merc CLS Diesel, and my TVR, with the view to combine into a single car that "does it all". Until the last week, my plan was to trade my CLS Shooting Brake for a CLS AMG 63 S Shooting Brake. I love the CLS SB, for me and the family it has the perfect blend of comfort, luxury and space. However it was actually a couple of people on the Merc forum that suggested that as an all rounder daily driver, the RS6 might be a better choice.

Getting the negatives out the way first, and this isn't to offend anyone in any way. I don't love the styling, I feel it's a little too understated for my tastes. I don't hate it, I just think the CLS looks better. Secondly, even my highly specced diesel merc, and my BMW 6GC I had before were luxurious inside, every surface covered in nappa leather, massage seats, the works. I see that the RS6 isn't specced in the same way.

My first question is, in reality how is the interior of an RS6, especially as compared to a similar Merc if anyone knows. I'm looking for someone to give me an objective opinion about whether when sitting in it, you notice those things or not. I like to spend my time inside somewhere I feel nice looking at too, that's just how I am!

So on to the actual car, I'm leaning towards it mainly due to Quattro and the ability to actually use the power rather than leaving rubber behind, plus the fact it's hugely practical.

Again, objectively, is there anything I should specifically be looking for in a car? I'm ideally looking for a facelift model if my budget can make it, I don't know what options are important, nice to have, or just pointless. Budget is probably around 42-45k

Come Friday I will have no car once the TVR goes to its new owner, so I would like to find something asap, but not rushing until I've made my mind up and driven one of course, but any advice would be great.

Thanks and sorry for the long first post!

innercry666
3rd Gear

Re: Heavily leaning towards an RS6 C7.5...

Post by innercry666 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:35 pm

The RS6 is a nice place to sit in and cover miles, the seats are fantastic and the spec as standard is excellent. However, as good as the interior is, the engine, drive train and the driving experience are what the RS6 are all about. The RS6 demolishes miles in a way I don't think many other cars could and the engine is epic. I know nothing about the Merc CLS Diesel but I guarantee there will be no comparison. Please don't take my word for it though. Go and find one to test drive.

In terms of selecting the right car I would be looking at facelift as a minimum and if you can stretch to it, a Performance Edition. Options wise, dynamic pack is a step up from air for the overall handling and for a big car it handles well. Parking pack is a must and Pan roof is good for enhancing the interior and for resale. They were my three must have options. If you can find a car with Head Up Display, even better and the assistance pack with adaptive cruise is great for motorway journeys.

Just ensure that all of the servicing has been kept up to date with the service schedule. Let us know how you get on.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Technoholic
Neutral

Post by Technoholic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks for that, I wasn't comparing the RS against my Mercedes diesel, more against the Merc CLS AMG 63 S, which is my current other choice and which I've driven a number of times. Thanks for the information though, helpful to know

Technoholic
Neutral

Post by Technoholic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:02 pm

what would be a better choice, all things being equal, a 2014 pre facelift Performance, or a facelift standard?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:49 pm

Performance was only available from 2016 onwards (I ordered the first week they opened the books early December 2015), which was 1 year after the facelift so there are no pre facelift 2014 Performance cars.

Technoholic
Neutral

Post by Technoholic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:51 pm

Ok, I see a lot of cars advertised as 2014 models being performance with 605hp. What are those?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:54 pm

I'm surprised you prefer the look of the Merc especially when you say the RS6 is understated. Along with the B7 RS4, I think the C7 RS6 is one of the meanest looking family cars around. Those arches on the 6 are big. Even more so when lowered with some spacers or different wheels.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Technoholic wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:51 pm
Ok, I see a lot of cars advertised as 2014 models being performance with 605hp. What are those?
No such thing. All 2014 and 2015 cars came with 560hp. 605hp wasn't available until the Performance version in 2016.

Technoholic
Neutral

Post by Technoholic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:00 am

I’m definitely not doubting you but therefore this example is incorrectly labelled? What’s the benefit of people doing this as this isn’t the only one

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... obcid=soc4

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:39 am

You have to be careful with some of these sellers. That description is not of that car;
It says it's a Performance, it isn't.
Titanium wheels, no they're not
Titanium trim, no it's matt Alu
Matrix LED headlight, no it doesn't
Dynamic LED front and rear indicators, no it doesn't.

The milage and colour are right though.

crapbag
2nd Gear

Post by crapbag » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:25 pm

And puts pictures of it outside a dealership in a similar position to how the dealer would take pics. Some dodgy Fcuks out there!

Technoholic
Neutral

Post by Technoholic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:27 pm

It appears so. So I can ignore anything saying performance pre 2016. Is there a version of a vin decoder for Audi like there is for Merc and BMW?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:45 pm

You can just type the reg into one of the online checkers and it will tell you the BHP.

https://www.rapidcarcheck.co.uk/results ... u&SPEC=Yes

This confirms it is 562BHP.

Not aware of a VIN decoder; the first few letters will tell you if it is an RS or not, but not sure if there was a different sequence beyond that for the Performance version or not. There is a VAG decoder that will convert the options list to actual options.

syndrome
Neutral

Post by syndrome » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:16 pm

My 2p as I recently went down the same route.

Style: One of the most imposing cars I've seen on the roads and the difference between a standard A6 and an RS6 is really noticeable in the massive arches. For me the CLS63 is a much more subtle looking car with only a modest amount of external difference vs a standard CLS. Dark colours with dark plastics do look moody and a bit more menacing to my eye, brighter colours and matte silver trim still retain presence but look a lot more striking.

Interior: Lovely, particularly in light leather which I don't usually like. Everything inside is Tonka toy strength and feels luxurious. I've looked at newer Mercs such as C63 pre-FL and C43 and to me the interior felt a bit plastic and dare I say Korean vs the Audi. The boot on the CLS I found a PITA particularly due to the shape, the RS6 on the other hand is very accessible.

Handling: Will wuffle along happily without being too shouty and chomp miles like a trooper, or it will behave like a bomb has gone off under the bonnet if you prod it. It's very much a Jekyll and Hyde. With the Quattro you won't get tail happy handling like you would in a CLS63 or a TVR, but it will grip and just fire off like a missile. That being said I've found it's a much more RWD biased feel than other AWD systems I've driven.
A big one you haven't mentioned and this is going to be a can of worms is air suspension (standard) vs springs dampeners also known as DRC. Everyone has a preference, DRC being the firmer/sportier setup but personally I've found that air is great in comfort, nicely firm in dynamic and it leaves the option of towing things which isn't technically a possibility with DRC.

My advice would be try a "standard power" RS6 on air, a Performance model on DRC and see what you would like to live with. Also try viewing one in a dark paint & plastic colour scheme then something a bit brighter and see what you prefer, you might find it makes a much bigger visual impact than you thought in a different colour, I certainly did. I wasn't awestruck with the colour inside and outside of mine until I viewed it in the flesh.

That being said a CLS63 is still a very fine machine and would get a nod of approval from me, I just fell in love with the RS6.
Attachments
unnamed (4).jpg

Technoholic
Neutral

Post by Technoholic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:25 pm

very good points thanks.

It's funny you say that about the Merc's interior as I kind of felt the same about the Audi. Bear in mind I have had an A6 of this generation before, not an RS though. I do agree that the newer mercs you might have seen look a little plasticky, but my CLS I've just got rid of didn't have an ounce of plastic in sight, leather and high quality brushed metal everywhere and really well screwed together and just felt premium. I guess the Audi would "feel" similar but maybe not look as good to me, but again that's just my opinion. I don't think pictures of the Audi do it justice to be fair, I think it looks better in the flesh to show off the muscular lines on the exterior.

I never had a problem with the boot on the CLS but I do admit it's not quite as easy as the Audi or even a E63.

In terms of suspension, I think I'd prefer springs having lived with full air on the CLS, but I think that's a question that needs to be answered by some test drives.

I think that's the next step really, test drive both although with the world going back down the hole it may not be easy for a while.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”