Drivers Air Vent Removal?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
JxT
Neutral

Drivers Air Vent Removal?

Post by JxT » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:43 pm

The control wheel on my drivers size air vent has come loose inside the housing - so I need to remove it and reseat the wheel.

I’ve tried the instructions here (http://davidhkblog1.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... t.html?m=1) and bought a hook thing, but even pulling pretty hard I cannot get the vent out.

Has anyone managed to remove their air vents?

Thanks
Attachments
B9F7D487-9D6C-483C-820A-69A7211E70E9.jpeg

morski
3rd Gear

Re: Drivers Air Vent Removal?

Post by morski » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:57 pm

You need to remove the side fuse box trim panel and the 8mm bolt and also the gloss black trim above the vent and iirc there is another bolt there. then you can use the hook to pull it out but watch for the sensor cable as its short
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Also remove the small trim to the lower left of the vent
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

JxT
Neutral

Post by JxT » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Thank you. I’ve managed to get the top and bottom trims off, taken the bolts out behind them, and removed the fuse cover trim.

Can’t see any other bolts to remove that look to be part of it - but the air vent, is loose, but still doesnt want to come free. Can you point me towards what comes off next?
Attachments
87D3DC57-D0D5-4E69-8C0D-9DDBA448A2C8.jpeg
60C67361-36D1-4C21-B7A0-D5634450AF65.jpeg

JxT
Neutral

Post by JxT » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:30 pm

I feel I’m in danger of taking the whole dash apart but don’t need to - and struggling to see what is still holding the vent in place.

Should the black plastic vent come free in its entirety? Or should the silver surrounding trim come away too?

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:56 pm

In your pic of the side panel removed have you removed the top 8mm bolt?
Dont remove the silver trim on its own. Its meant to come off together with the centre vent.
Its got some big metal spring clips which you can see if yo look into the gap from the side.
It should just need a good tug to release it free
A6 BiTdi Avant

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Oh and also the silver trim that is above the steering cowl and is connected to bottom section of the vent needs to be separated from each other. Use a plastic pry tool to pry them apart
A6 BiTdi Avant

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”