Identifying an RS6 Sport Exhaust

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
syndrome
Neutral

Identifying an RS6 Sport Exhaust

Post by syndrome » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm picking up a rather lovely 2017 RS6 in Sepang Blue in the next week, the only problem is it has the standard exhaust and is a little bit muted for my tastes.
I'd quite like a bit more snap, crackle and pop in Dynamic but nothing too crazy, I also want to give it a year or so before I consider anything like the offerings for any of the other exhaust manufacturers, so the obvious option seems to be an OEM Sport Exhaust as these seem to have a bit more life and are pretty reasonable second hand and I think were common fitment to Performance models?

The only problem I'm finding is actually identifying a Sport Exhaust once it's off the car as the centre section, backbox and valve assembly look the same as the stock items, and obviously you no longer have the black oval tips to give you a clue.
Would anyone have any tips on how to identify one once it's off the car, potentially with part numbers?

Oh and before anyone asks, I'll be popping a new car thread up once I get her on the drive :lol:

crapbag
2nd Gear

Re: Identifying an RS6 Sport Exhaust

Post by crapbag » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:59 pm

Hi,

I think the easiest way to tell is that the sports back boxes are black.

Craig.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:29 am

Welcome and FON

The black exhaust tips are part of the car not the exhaust so you won't see them on any second exhaust for sale.

The Sports exhaust is still too quiet in my opinion especially in a facelift car as they have double glazed front windows as standard.
Your best bet is to go to an exhaust fabricator and get them to chop out the front and centre resonators. This will give the car the sort of sound it should of had from the factory for about the same price as a second hand exhaust (£200 to £300).

FYI, ALL Performance models came with a Sports exhaust as it was standard.

syndrome
Neutral

Post by syndrome » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:11 pm

Cheers chaps. Only problem seems to be they all look they same, i.e. black back boxes.
The ones I've seen advertised from a Performance model usually have the P/N stamped on a silver section, however no amount of furious Googling is tying the P/Ns to a Performance/Sport Exhaust. I can't say I want to run the risk of getting one, fitting it only to find I've been BS'ed but might have to take the risk.

MikeFish wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:29 am
Welcome and FON
Lol, those are forum rules I can respect, particularly 35 & 40.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:38 pm

I don't think the back boxes are black. Mine certainly weren't and I never saw any others that were. I think maybe they just look black in that photo. The oval tailpipes on cars that came with Sports exhausts fitted were painted black as opposed to being chrome on non-sports exhaust fitted cars.
I don't think there is any physical difference between the 2 exhausts other than part number.

But I still think you should consider the resonator delete. Great mod for the money.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:53 pm

If you look on any of the part number websites it lists one part number for LH and one for RH front pipes. Then it lists one number for the right rear silencer and one number for the left one. However it lists 2 different part numbers for the centre resonator (4G0 253 409 AR (regular?) and 4G0 253 409 AS (sports?)). The AR version has a data model number of PR-0P0 and the AS version is PR-0P6. If you look further down the page it also lists the part numbers for the black and chrome tailpipes with their data model numbers; the chrome one is PR-0P0 and the blakc one is PR-0P6 which ties up with the AR being the regular version ans the As version being the sports version.

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_single/ ... 280/lang/e
OR
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+rs6+r ... 53-253095/

syndrome
Neutral

Post by syndrome » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:56 pm

Lol, that is a dirty sound but I must admit a resonator mod is probably a bit overkill for my taste. Removing the centre section definitely seems to uncork a pleasant woofle.

Cheers MikeFish, that's actually very helpful. Looks to me like the main difference between regular & sport is the centre section. Unfortunately non of the P/N match up with anything I've seen so far.

The other half who works at the dealer I'm buying the car from managed to stick her phone underneath the back and get some shots of the exhaust. Seems it's also got those silver squares where the P/N are stamped, not good enough pictures to read what was on them but enough to prove that silver squares don't = sport exhaust.
I think rolling the dice on a stock exhaust and having the centre section modified is probably going to be the way I go.

HDPete
3rd Gear

Post by HDPete » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:13 pm

I have a sports exhaust which is surplus to requirements if you need it.

syndrome
Neutral

Post by syndrome » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:16 am

Cheers Pete, PM sent

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”