Trunk cover rattling over bumps

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Hitman70
Neutral

Trunk cover rattling over bumps

Post by Hitman70 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi,

I'm a proud owner of a 2016 RS6 performance since 2 weeks now.

As always with my car, I'm getting sick when I hear an interior rattle and, unfortunately, all the cars I have owned had some rattles at one point.

This RS6 too have some... And one of them is coming from the rear trunk cover. I hear over any imperfection of the road... I could just remove the cover but I don't want to because I like to have my trunk perfectly covered and it looks bad without it.

Just hitting the cover with my hands can easily reproduce the rattle. Here is a video : https://streamable.com/y0phwg

Do you have it too?

morski
3rd Gear

Re: Trunk cover rattling over bumps

Post by morski » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Try some fabric wiring loom tape or similar at the place where the load cover fits into the side panels. It should work
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:15 pm

An aftermarket exhaust should help too. And turn the radio up a bit more.

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 pm

All jokes aside, i had that annoying flapping aswell. Not sure if it is the same but it was the tension on the role that made the most noise, not the flap hitting something. I used some silicone spray and sprayed on the cover and roled it open/close a few times....kinda felt the cover was sticky before. Makes less noise now.
But agree...an aftermarket exhaust fixes A LOT OF NOISES :p (but then you better how COD tuned off or you will get annoyed by that 4cylinder noise aswell haha.

Hitman70
Neutral

Post by Hitman70 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:59 am

Thanks for your answers.

Yeah, It's the tension, or the lack of tension, that do the flapping noise. It's not coming from the clips that hold the cover in the panels, but from the stretched fabric that's moving while driving over bumps.

I have an Akrapovic exhaust, but I still hear the noise lol. Of course I could turn the radio up, but it's a shame to have to turn music on for hide annonying rattle noises on a such expensive car, isn't it?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:39 am

It is easy enough to replace the cover if that is the problem. Have you looked on Ebay to see how much they are going for? I imagine the part is shared with the A6 avant so should not be silly money. I never noticed mine doing this in the first 3 years so maybe this is an age related issue or poor quality control so no guarantee a new one will be rattle free either.

Hitman70
Neutral

Post by Hitman70 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:14 am

For me it's more a design issue, that's the problem. I looked a cover on a S6 and it's exactly as loud as mine. It's a soft material, so for me it's just impossible it doesn't rattle with a such design / material.

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:21 pm

£100-£150 used and £550 new!
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:16 pm

Hitman70 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:48 pm
Hi,

I'm a proud owner of a 2016 RS6 performance since 2 weeks now.

As always with my car, I'm getting sick when I hear an interior rattle and, unfortunately, all the cars I have owned had some rattles at one point.

This RS6 too have some... And one of them is coming from the rear trunk cover. I hear over any imperfection of the road... I could just remove the cover but I don't want to because I like to have my trunk perfectly covered and it looks bad without it.

Just hitting the cover with my hands can easily reproduce the rattle. Here is a video : https://streamable.com/y0phwg

Do you have it too?
Really mystery)

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:31 am

had this on my B8 RS4 i sorted by using some velcro tape i used the fluffy side and fitted into the the location slots at either end and it seemed to cure the issue
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”