Updating MMI to get CarPlay report

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Edmond
1st Gear

Updating MMI to get CarPlay report

Post by Edmond » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:40 am

Hi All,

Various threads on doing this via @carplay_audi on telegram - just thought I’d add a quick report on my doing this over the weekend to my 65 plate car.

Basically super simple and took about an hour.

Contacted him over telegram (he’s in China) and ordered the d link adapter he recommended )’(£8) and downloaded the .rar file of the 2017+ MMI software from the link he sent. I used on old windows 10 laptop I don’t use for anything else as a security precaution but watching him do the process I can confirm he didn’t do anything dodgy bar forget to re-enable the firewall settings after he finished which I did.

You’ll need an Ethernet cable to connect to the d link and a usb stick to get the software onto the car.

Sat in car with laptop plugged into Ethernet into d link which is plugged into USB port. MMI software on usb stick plugged into second USB port.

All he does (via teamviewer - use a free trial that you can delete the moment you are finished) is convince the car that the d link adapter is an official Audi piece of kit. Once that’s done the car reads from the USB stick and the whole update process is done from the MMI controls in the car.

Takes about 20 mins from there.

So I now have CarPlay and Android auto “officially” and all for $160 paid by PayPal. Happy with that!

Cheers All.

Edmond
1st Gear

Re: Updating MMI to get CarPlay report

Post by Edmond » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:41 am

To add - you do all the updating on the MMI - he just tells you what button to press when and uses pictures you send him to show exactly which button with super clear arrows etc.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”