Is this normal brake disc wear?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
LRB23
Neutral

Is this normal brake disc wear?

Post by LRB23 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi All,
I've attached some images of my brake discs and want to know everyone's thoughts on the wear pattern and level of wear to the discs. The reason for asking is that I've recently collected the car from Audi Used Approved and I had 4 shock absorbers failed after one week. I've been disputing that the 145 point check was not carried out correctly for all 4 to fail.

I don't know what Audi should do when it comes to used approved with regard to brake discs and level of wear. It looks like about 1-2mm of wear and the surface doesn't feel perfectly smooth. I'm sure someone will tell me that this is even wear and within limits but with everything going on at the moment I'm clouded in doubt.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers guys!
Attachments
IMG_7486.jpg
IMG_7487.jpg

Lig
4th Gear

Re: Is this normal brake disc wear?

Post by Lig » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi LRB23,

That wear pattern looks normal to me (same as mine), but you would need to have the discs measured too see if they should be changed or not. The tolerance measurements are stamped on the disc. You could go to any garage and they should be able to measure the depth for you with a 'vernier caliper' or the like...

Cheers,
Lig.

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:02 pm

To be honest they look ready to be changed. How many miles has the car done?
On my B8 RS4 I got 30k out of the fronts and 38k on the rears.
You really need to measure them to check.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:52 pm

The top disks...the outer 'not fully drilled holes' are the wear indicators afaik. Once they are flat, like in the top picture, they are bound to be replaced. At least that is what i recall on my RS disks i mounted on my A4 B8. But i also think it is best to replace them per axle...so both left and front.
*damn that is low millage out the steels...glad i went for a second hand S6 with ceramics (heavy wagons with automatic gearboxes => fast brake wear :( ) .

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:00 pm

dasquade wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:52 pm
The top disks...the outer 'not fully drilled holes' are the wear indicators afaik. Once they are flat, like in the top picture, they are bound to be replaced. At least that is what i recall on my RS disks i mounted on my A4 B8. But i also think it is best to replace them per axle...so both left and front.
*damn that is low millage out the steels...glad i went for a second hand S6 with ceramics (heavy wagons with automatic gearboxes => fast brake wear :( ) .
That’s true into ceramics worth to invest

LeeRS6
2nd Gear

Post by LeeRS6 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:15 am

They are all past the wear marks so all need replacing as under the minimum thickness.

Audi is quick enough to point this out when it goes in for a service.

LRB23
Neutral

Post by LRB23 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:43 am

Thanks guys. I feel like Audi just shoved this one out the door without going over it properly. The car is going back to Audi Hatfield to have 4 new shocks after one week of ownership!!! All four are leaking, cause the DRC to rattle at low speeds. They're still trying to assure me that the 145 point check was carried out (by a blind man maybe?) and no issues were highlighted.

Afsimba
3rd Gear

Post by Afsimba » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Look heavy worn to me also
Audi approved used checks not worth paper written on some dealers say they change tyres parts etc if in any doubt to what they calm “ Rs spec “ truth is I pointed out brake judder problems and not great stopping power to my dealer at the time on my first Audi only one I bought second hand b7 rs4 saloon along with cracked headlight above bumper line ! They said they check all and wouldn’t replace headlight or brakes as they fine ! Know warranty never includes brakes !! Anyway do such low mileage that 3 months on threw it back st them they said they would skim them the car had 50 k when bought so asked when had last new discs they said never had ! First owner who was actually my dentist pooled around so much got 50 k out them probably unheard of kicked up so much fuss they put new discs an pads on ! Anyway 3 k miles later due mot and had started juddering again lightly Audi failed mot on it and advised new same garage pulled car out and gave to trusted friend head Subaru tec and had said there were hammer marks and must’ve had sticky piston so Audi hammered them in !!! Anyway I I have set of Audi Rs6 discs n pads for sale front 4k light miles that had on my b8 rs4 and kept for my Rs6 now sold so discs vgc and pads circa 8 mm pm if u want any more info hope u get it all sorted

thomas828200
Neutral

Post by thomas828200 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 pm

I brought my from Audi preston. They change all the brake disk and pads before handing the car to me. And they told me that anything that is use more than 25 percent they need to be change to pass the used car check.

LRB23
Neutral

Post by LRB23 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:10 am

UPDATE:

So finally getting somewhere...

My beloved RS6 has been gathering dust in quarantine at Hatfield Audi since March. It unfortunately arrived a week before the U.K. lockdown and has sat there since the government lifted the restrictions.

It turns out that on closer inspection the front discs were worn to their minimum tolerance of 34mm. The rears still have 1.6mm of wear before they hit their minimum. So they are replacing the front discs and pads.

Still baffled how this was missed in the 145 point check (along with 4 failed shock absorbers - see other thread). I only had the car 11 days before I reported the issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”