Brake Pad Warning Lamp

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
2Brains
Neutral

Brake Pad Warning Lamp

Post by 2Brains » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:20 pm

Afternoon All,

Recently my brake pad warning light (yellow) came on; read the manual and it says that you should take it to the dealer without delay.

Phoned my dealer today and they said that there’s no rush unless it goes red - there is normally around 1500miles between yellow and red but there’s no sign of a red brake warning light.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

ThNks guys.
Edinburgh Based Nardo Grey C7 RS6

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Brake Pad Warning Lamp

Post by MikeFish » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Never heard of a red pad warning sign. Not sure howthe car would know the difference between a yellow and red situation as there is only one sensor on the brake pad and once it has reached metal it sets the yellow alarm off.
Be warned, the rear axle has a pad warning sensor too so it could be the rear that need changing.
Normally, the warning comes on early to give you plenty of time to check the pads and book them in for a change. However, I have read reports (on here I think) that the pad without the wear sensor was much lower than then one with the sensor (if that makes sense) i.e. one of the pads was very low and possibly down to the metal / damaging the discs by the time the other pad had worn down to the sensor.
Either way, my advice is to whip the wheels off and check how much meat is left on the each pad so you can judge for yourself if it needs doing straight away or can wait a while. Or, if you are not comfortable doing that, take it an independent garage for a check.

2Brains
Neutral

Re: Brake Pad Warning Lamp

Post by 2Brains » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:25 pm

As always, thanks Mike - much appreciated.

I’ll do exactly that.
Edinburgh Based Nardo Grey C7 RS6

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”