Warped Front Discs after 6000 miles and less than a year

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
DaytonaMatt
1st Gear

Re: Warped Front Discs after 6000 miles and less than a year

Post by DaytonaMatt » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:03 pm

ChrisYates10 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:54 pm
DaytonaMatt wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:07 pm
Mine were warped, after maybe 10k miles and 10 months. Replaced under Audi warranty
Was that car Audi warranty or parts warranty Matt?
To be fair I don’t know - I had both so don’t know which one they technically claimed under

ChrisYates10
1st Gear

Post by ChrisYates10 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:35 pm

All,

An update so far:

1. Guildford Audi have refused to pay for the replacement of my warped discs due to the following reasons, communicated to me by one of their Service Advisors:

- the brakes are wear and tear items and not covered, despite almost no wear, no signs of misuse and having covered just over 6,000 miles;
- the brakes are not covered under warranty as Guildford Audi paid for them and fitted them. If I had paid for them to be fitted, then they would have been covered;
- the car has covered just over 30,000 miles, so the brakes aren't covered under warranty. I reminded them that the brakes are just over 6,000 miles old having been fitted less than a year ago

and the very best reason;

- the brakes are warped as I have misused them. They are not designed to be used at speeds over 75 miles per hour. At this point I politely asked for a copy of the telephone conversation and bid them a good day.

I've written my letter of complaint to Audi UK and will see what happens next.

In the meantime, I suggest you all drive your high performance RS products around very gently, especially in view of the fact that our discs are soft and apparently aren't up to the job. Come to think of it, a bit like our 21 inch wheels too. :cry:

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:57 am

ChrisYates10 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:35 pm
They are not designed to be used at speeds over 75 miles per hour.
If it wasn't so tragic that would be funny. It will be funny though if they provide a transcript of the conversation! For a main dealer to say that they aren't designed to be used at speeds over 75mph is pure ineptitude. They shouldn't be in the job if they are making claims like that!

I had a similar issue on my RS4 and is now appearing on the RS6. Got similar push back from Audi with the RS4. We had the car on the ramp, wheels off and you couldn't really rotate the off side front disc as it was catching. Its the OSF on the RS6 as well that is catching. I will likely get the RS6 discs skimmed in situ on the car and then when the time comes replace them with a non-OEM alternative.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

ChrisYates10
1st Gear

Post by ChrisYates10 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:56 pm

innercry666 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:57 am
ChrisYates10 wrote:
I will likely get the RS6 discs skimmed in situ on the car and then when the time comes replace them with a non-OEM alternative.
Agree. I'm going to send my front discs to BG Developments and have them ground true for £45 + VAT per disc. When the time comes, I think I may choose the AP bells and rotor option for the front and back. In the meantime, I'll drive around slowly, so not to risk other speed related damage.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:29 pm

ChrisYates10 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:56 pm
innercry666 wrote:
ChrisYates10 wrote:
I will likely get the RS6 discs skimmed in situ on the car and then when the time comes replace them with a non-OEM alternative.
Agree. I'm going to send my front discs to BG Developments and have them ground true for £45 + VAT per disc. When the time comes, I think I may choose the AP bells and rotor option for the front and back. In the meantime, I'll drive around slowly, so not to risk other speed related damage.
Better if done on the car so they are flat AND true to hub (in case there are any issues there).

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:00 am

ChrisYates10 wrote:

In the meantime, I'll drive around slowly, so not to risk other speed related damage.
Driving slowly will cause pad deposits to collect on the disc. You sure that's not the problem anyway? I think I asked already but don't recall a positive answer and can't be bothered to read back. It's not easy to warp discs, especially the size of the RS6 ones.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:03 am

I've read through it again and it still sounds like pad residue to me not warped discs.

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:11 am

ChrisYates10 wrote:
innercry666 wrote:
ChrisYates10 wrote:
Like I said in previous posts i have tried an OEM disc with both a Audi Pad and later the Ferodo DS2500, the front discs just aint up to the job as far as I`m concerned.

Vagbremtechnic do a front disc replacement and are currently on with finalizing a solution for the rears, My front VBT (AP Racing) discs are being fitted over the next day or so with pagid sl29 pads and project mu brake fluid..hopefully see the difference straight away...my rear discs and pads were new in the summer and have plenty life in them but if VBT have solution they`ll be switched over to for a matching set.
Cheers,
Stevie F
2016 C7.5 RS6 Performance

ChrisYates10
1st Gear

Post by ChrisYates10 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:48 pm

[/quote]

It's not easy to warp discs, especially the size of the RS6 ones.
[/quote]

Hi Mike, apologies, I've realised that I've omitted a key piece of information from my last update.

Tetbury Audi told me they were warped (N/S 0.4mm and O/S 0.1mm) and so I checked them myself. I borrowed the required equipment from work, took the wheels off and checked them myself. To my dismay, I found that I agreed with them. The N/S runs out by 0.35mm and the O/S by 0.1mm. The maximum deflection is exactly 180 degrees opposed to the zero point.

I have no clue how this has happened given the way I treat the car. I'm extremely gentle on brakes and tyres. Also, I've been told that a deflection of 0.2mm will shake your teeth out, however, the vibration that I experience isn't anywhere near that bad.

In addition to checking the run out, I checked for pad material on either side of the surface of the disc and found nothing.

I do suspect that Guildford Audi did a rubbish job of fitting the new discs and probably mounted them on contaminated hubs, however, I can't prove that. Since then, the discs have been running out and are now deformed to such an extent that the run out is detectable when I brake.

Guildford Audi also tell me that wear and tear items have a warranty of only 6 months or 6500 miles. I've checked this with the Audi Genuine Parts info. and that's the case, hence their decision not honour my claim. My discs are almost 12 months old. That said, that rationale wasn't part of the their first response to me.

I've written to Audi UK and will see what they come back with. In the meantime, I've found a local garage that has a ProCut machine and they will charge £100 to cut the front discs true.

Maybe the apparent warping issue is due to the way dealers are mounting the discs, i.e. being lazy and chucking them on have not bothered to prepared the mounting faces properly?

I'll let you know what Audi UK conclude.

Thanks for your feedback.

C

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:02 pm

Do they skim the discs on the car? Hopefully so, that way you know they will run true afterwards.

Jiminez
Neutral

Post by Jiminez » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:59 pm

Had the same problem on mine - had bought used @18months/20k miles and turned out it had had multiple warranty claims for vibrating discs. Leicester Audi replaced the front discs and pads when I bought it, but it came back in about 3k miles - they then replaced again on warranty (and I gave a contribution on on rears), but also replaced one of the front hubs - had no problems from then until I swapped it last week at 42k/4 years. I’ve seen someone say something similar on here about the hubs, so maybe worth checking that?

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:10 am

New Vagbremtechnic AP Racing Discs just fitted to the front of mine with Pagid RSL29 pads..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Stevie F

Lig
4th Gear

Post by Lig » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Stevie,

They look good :thumbs:

Is anything else required to fit those discs or is it a 100% straight swap for OEM discs? Also when you get chance could you post a pic with the wheels on..

Any update on the rears, do you think this will be weeks or months?

Ta.
Lig.

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Warped Front Discs after 6000 miles and less than a year

Post by uplandsway » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Lig wrote:Hi Stevie,

They look good :thumbs:

Is anything else required to fit those discs or is it a 100% straight swap for OEM discs? Also when you get chance could you post a pic with the wheels on..

Any update on the rears, do you think this will be weeks or months?

Ta.
Lig.

Hi,

I’ve not seen them yet myself but they look good and I’m sure they’ll be some upgrade over the stock turd.

There a direct fit to the stock callipers @ 390mm.

The rears are custom jobbies and will be a few weeks yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Stevie F

Lig
4th Gear

Post by Lig » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Looking good.

When you say the rears are custom, do you mean for you? Or will then be a production item??

Cheers,
Lig.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”