Anyone know C17DON?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
ARSEY4
5th Gear

Anyone know C17DON?

Post by ARSEY4 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi, does anyone know this car as I’m thinking of buying it? Thanks.

mrmerle
Neutral

Re: Anyone know C17DON?

Post by mrmerle » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Me too, I've been out in it today and am tempted if I can squeeze a good deal out of them for the end of the quarter, for a supposed fully prepped car it has some disappointing niggles though, curbed alloy, looks like a dog has tried to claw its way out the boot so will need at least one piece of interior trim replaced and I also suspect a punctured tyre as rear off side tyre was at 1.4 bar and the tyre inflater was lying in the boot giving the impression that it had been recently used. The car has DRC, so I'm guessing/hoping that the tyre issue contributed to the overall poor ride compared to other non-DRC cars I've driven?

I think it had been sold late August and has come back on the market over the last week, was the potential purchaser anyone here? And if so was there any particular mechanical / technical reason for passing on the car?

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Just to follow up on this, I am close to pulling the trigger on a similar car that also has Mica paint as this one listed at Leicester (C17 DON) I know very little about this type of paint but with my practical hat on, are there any downsides to having Mica paint on a daily driver? In the flesh C17 DON looked very nice in the sun but the paint work was full of hazing, especially down the sides (the roof and bonnet were covered in dust so it was hard to appraise those areas)

I think pretty much every car I've owned has needed a repair at some point in my ownership so don't see why this would be any different now. Given that assumption, is Mica just as easy to repair as a standard metallic / pearl finish?

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:26 pm

Mica is the colour no? As in Mica Blue. Same as Ford STD performance blue.

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:12 pm

I thought Mica was a type of paint, from t'internet;

"It is also called mica, metal flake and polychromatic paint. Small polished flakes of aluminium and other metals are added to the paint to produce the glittering effect. It also adds a more 3D effect to the surface, reflecting body contours. Metallic paint is sealed with a clear coat to preserve its lustre"

and

https://www.valsparcoilextrusion.com/op ... s_0912.pdf

My overall impression after doing a bit of research and viewing C17 DON (dark red mica) is that mica paint repairs *could* be much harder to match, and thus more specialized and of course expensive, hence why I'm wondering if its really suited to what will essentially be a daily dog and commute hack and all the abuse that comes with that type of car. For reference I'd only really been considering Sepang, Ascari, Daytona or one of the blacks prior, but there seems to be a shortage of well specced cars within the dealer network (PE, HUD, pano, parking are must haves) so am now considering alternatives.

doodlebug
Cruising

Anyone know C17DON?

Post by doodlebug » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 pm

OK it’s mica red. It’s exclusive paint but it’s normal gloss paint. Nothing special. Paint matching is the headache it was ten years ago.

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:20 pm

I took delivery of this car today (C17 DON) the colour has really grown on me, under artificial light its almost a deep claret, almost purple.

Lig
4th Gear

Post by Lig » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:35 pm

Congrats Mrmerle,

Lets see some piccies!!

Lig.

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 pm

My name sake likes the extra space;

I've done close to 3000 miles since picking it, pleasantly surprised to see over 32mpg on a schlep up to Alnwick - I don't / can't drive like a tit when the missus and dogs are onboard. This is about the cleanest its been shortly after picking it up and having a Blackvue front and rear system fitted at TTW Installs;

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3UH6qPpipR ... hare_sheet

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:53 pm

The paint looks very nice, do you have any photos of it in sunlight that you could share?

On the surface TTW Installation's work looks to be of good quality. How was your experience?
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Sunshine? whats that! I got a few quick pics on my first test drive;

On a cloudy day it looks like a giant minstrel... (the chocolate)

I was very impressed with TTW, the job took them about 90 minutes to install (had the power pack battery extender installed too) They've got a decent little lounge above the fitting bay so I just had a coffee, replied to some work emails and before I knew it was back on the road. I'm hoping that I never need to use the camera, I only bought it as in the summer, some dozy tit reversed into my previous car, fessed up to it but then changed their mind after the repairs had been done and are trying to get a 50/50% on the blame.

johnny11
4th Gear

Post by johnny11 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:19 am

Ah you also use use yours as a dog carrier too😂
Did you get yours from Leicester Audi too as thats where I got mine from last year but had some issues!!
Attachments
B051076C-8A24-4B58-AB1A-A51DA70CE7E6.png

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Yes, I have a pair of collies, I would love a third but I need to work on the missus as she gets fed up with all the muck this time of year.

The car was bought from Leicester Audi, not been overly impressed if I'm being honest, poor test drive experience (taken out with a virtually flat tyre) niggles with the state of the car at handover - windscreen washer fluid light was on as drove away from the dealership, got home and found missing dust caps and its taken almost 8 weeks and two visits to get a piece of interior trim replaced, plus the nonsense with the hands free boot system.

johnny11
4th Gear

Post by johnny11 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 pm

That’s funny, as this experience is very similar to my hand over last year, car was not fully prepped for handover, trim needed replacing, front grill needed replacing, drivers seat needed upholstering, and when they delivered it back to me there was a dent on the front wing, not to mention the the water issue that I have in the drivers footwell which has come back.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:58 am

I've had horrific experiences with Leicester Audi in the past. Avoid if you can. I've found Nottingham Audi to be vastly superior.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”