Akrapovic / Audi Sport Exhaust More Sound?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Akrapovic / Audi Sport Exhaust More Sound?

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 am

Looks like another thread that needs a dose of reality. I’ll just leave this here...

Milltek “quality”

Yes milltek have been around for years. And their quality was very good in the early days (had a couple of systems off them - one installed at their factory near Nottingham). But looks to me like they’ve been on a vicious cost-cutting exercise since then, and standards have fallen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Akrapovic / Audi Sport Exhaust More Sound?

Post by uplandsway » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 am

FaisalJ wrote:Looks like another thread that needs a dose of reality. I’ll just leave this here...

Milltek “quality”

Yes milltek have been around for years. And their quality was very good in the early days (had a couple of systems off them - one installed at their factory near Nottingham). But looks to me like they’ve been on a vicious cost-cutting exercise since then, and standards have fallen

I second again that picking up a used Milly Non Res for a stock or stage 1 car is the best pound for pound mod you’ll do but in terms of quality please attached (the centre muffler is now gone for a non res / straight pipe)

Cheers,
Stevie F
2016 C7.5 RS6 Performance

gsc
2nd Gear

Post by gsc » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:18 pm

FaisalJ wrote:Looks like another thread that needs a dose of reality. I’ll just leave this here...

Milltek “quality”

Agreed, when Phil took a step back and they went Chinese steel it went a little backward. They used to do a lifetime warranty on systems and tips, they can’t and won’t now.

Good systems on a budget, has a sound that suits some but not necessarily the best out there. And all cat back companies start somewhere, APR already have a decent reputation for Audi tuning so exhaust and wheels is a logical progression for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Shining under your car doesn’t prove any quality)

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Tadass910 wrote:Shining under your car doesn’t prove any quality)
It doesn’t just shine, it’s well put together, well engineered and sounds great

Your life must be nothing more than the workings of a milltek exhaust

Bore off or get some new patter Image

Cheers,
Stevie F

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Not bored at all with my Miltek, would buy it again if needed. And quality just fine for me, no rusting or other big issues so far, using it for 3 years already

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 pm

@Tadass910: As much as i like(d) my milltek, i have to admite it isn't the most quality built as other mentioned.
1. Been having issues with the milltek exhaust valves since the install day 1. They figuered it would be a good design to include a locking mecanisme with an extra small spring under the valve. That gets filled with exhaust stuff and blocks over time. You do NOT want to be driving full rpms with valves closed and locked! Milltek played it hard and told me they never had heard of issues with it, but not the first time i had heard about it. Both valves failed over time....in the end i just bored out the springs...been working perfect ever since, but imho big 'safety' failure!
2. Altough i like the raspy metal sound of the milltek, it is the result of the rather poor quality H pipe (see picture above, very simular to mine). I ended up cutting it out and replace it with a smooth X pipe. I did lost the violant raspy V8 sound but over time i found the smoother sound the X pipe now gives is more refined for this vehicle + the car feels smoother (i guess the X pipe smooths out the exhaust gases between left and right bank better).
3. It has been mentioned by several if not all who have an milltek that the left exhaust pipe on the end is poorly bend and this curve makes the exhaust (almost) hit the crossbar making noise when going over bumps (i had to bend the crossbar).

Do i like the milltek, SURE, after some personal adjustments. Mine is on the car for a good 3 or close to 4 years now and can't complain, but back then there wasn't a big aftermarket.

Anyway, exhaust sound will always be a personal taste....but build quality?

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:53 pm

dasquade wrote:@Tadass910: As much as i like(d) my milltek, i have to admite it isn't the most quality built as other mentioned.
1. Been having issues with the milltek exhaust valves since the install day 1. They figuered it would be a good design to include a locking mecanisme with an extra small spring under the valve. That gets filled with exhaust stuff and blocks over time. You do NOT want to be driving full rpms with valves closed and locked! Milltek played it hard and told me they never had heard of issues with it, but not the first time i had heard about it. Both valves failed over time....in the end i just bored out the springs...been working perfect ever since, but imho big 'safety' failure!
2. Altough i like the raspy metal sound of the milltek, it is the result of the rather poor quality H pipe (see picture above, very simular to mine). I ended up cutting it out and replace it with a smooth X pipe. I did lost the violant raspy V8 sound but over time i found the smoother sound the X pipe now gives is more refined for this vehicle + the car feels smoother (i guess the X pipe smooths out the exhaust gases between left and right bank better).
3. It has been mentioned by several if not all who have an milltek that the left exhaust pipe on the end is poorly bend and this curve makes the exhaust (almost) hit the crossbar making noise when going over bumps (i had to bend the crossbar).

Do i like the milltek, SURE, after some personal adjustments. Mine is on the car for a good 3 or close to 4 years now and can't complain, but back then there wasn't a big aftermarket.

And now APR just released X Pipe ImageImage

Cheers,
Stevie F

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:25 am

dasquade wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 pm
@Tadass910: As much as i like(d) my milltek, i have to admite it isn't the most quality built as other mentioned.

Agreed, I have Miltek for 3 years none issues so far, so is brutal like a monster, but for a quality I do not care unless everything is working fine

Cook
Neutral

Post by Cook » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Ran milltek for 18 months. Sounds good on overun. Lots of pops. But the squeaking from the valves was garbage. Changed back to oem audi valves. No better. The design must be wrong somewhere. So got so sick of the mice in the back box !!

Found an Akrapovic from a 6k mile car. The difference is night and day. More bass. More tone. Less pops. Less crackles. But easier to live with use day to day. Feels so much more responsive and just 100% better. Feel it suits the car if you have to use everyday.
Fitted by mallory performance who were fantastic on the swap over, very thorough. so would recommend if local.
The akra was so light and the quality was stunning once ready to fit.

The APR looks great and look forward to hearing one as the quality looks great.
Attachments
5C9EEFCF-F143-4138-83C0-69317375681D.jpeg
56981F2C-B7D7-4DD2-AA9D-AA443918EFEF.jpeg
BB33C276-EEBB-4CD7-A89A-9BE211146F78.jpeg
Cook

Alpina B5 touring e61
Audi RS6 Vorsprung
Lancia Delta Evo2 Blu Swaters
Bmw e30 conv. 3.5 ltr M30
Bmw e30 M3 1989
Porsche 911 Turbo X50 2004
Peugeot 205gti 1.9

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 pm

But Miltek sounds more brutal than Akrapovic, Akrapovic sounds no better than Audi sport exhaust, it’s a waste of money

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Tadass910 wrote:But Miltek sounds more brutal than Akrapovic, Akrapovic sounds no better than Audi sport exhaust, it’s a waste of money
Do you get anally pleasured from a milltek or mr milltek ? Image

Cheers,
Stevie F

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:21 pm

uplandsway wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:11 pm
Tadass910 wrote:But Miltek sounds more brutal than Akrapovic, Akrapovic sounds no better than Audi sport exhaust, it’s a waste of money

And you need to reply to every my post

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:35 am

Tadass910 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:21 pm
uplandsway wrote:

How about you stop posting, then others wouldn't reply to your sh1t! :nodder:
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:52 am

Tadass910 wrote:
uplandsway wrote:

You posted without talking about the milltek Image.

Cheers,
Stevie F

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”