Help - Air suspension failure

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
christianb7
Neutral

Help - Air suspension failure

Post by christianb7 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:33 pm

So, driving along motorway, receive yellow warning regarding air suspension, then quickly amber saying car too low. Amazingly there was a shell petrol station that I got into, parked safely, got out and saw the front right arch coming down to meet the tyre with lots of air hissing. I quickly jacked it up to prevent contact.

The problem now is Audi and the AA are struggling to find anyone that can move the car safely without causing further damage. There is a picture below where I have mostly lowered the jack and it is just before contact with the wing. Does anyone have experience of what can be done next so that I can get the car back to Audi?

Thanks anyone for any help.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PieterZ
3rd Gear

Re: Help - Air suspension failure

Post by PieterZ » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Maybe take the front wheels off and put the brake rotors on a wheel dolly?
All black B9 RS4

christianb7
Neutral

Post by christianb7 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 pm

PieterZ wrote:Maybe take the front wheels off and put the brake rotors on a wheel dolly?
Thanks. I had discussed this with one of the recovery firms. We tried to use the dolly’s but they were too large and couldn’t fit to the brakes securely.

In the end it turns out that with air suspension fully collapsed, the spring also becomes fully compressed and the tyre stops approx 1mm from making contact with the arch liner. There is a few mm if flexibility in the liner. A special dual forklift recovery vehicle then picked up the car by the wheels and lifted it on. I do think it could have gone on dolly’s and pulled onto a flat bed however that would have been tougher than the forklift so may have caused some damage.

Anyway, car is now with Audi and waiting to be inspected.

Overall, AA and Audi didn’t know what to do in this situation which I was quite surprised with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:50 pm

christianb7 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 pm
Overall, AA and Audi didn’t know what to do in this situation which I was quite surprised with.
Lol Audi don’t know what to do? You serious? Do you have idiots working at Audi in uk?

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 pm

Tadass910 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:50 pm
christianb7 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 pm
Lol Audi don’t know what to do? You serious? Do you have idiots working at Audi in uk?
The phrase - couldn't organise a p**s-up in a brewery comes to mind with Audi...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”