Anyone Know This Car

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
ShaneyB
Top Gear

Anyone Know This Car

Post by ShaneyB » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi guys,
I'll be coming back to Audi in an RS6 Avant shortly after 7 years in an E92 and C43 and need a bit of advice.

Have a budget of £60k and I've seen a few that I like but want to know if it's worth the additional £££ going for a Performance? I'm a bloke, so want as good as I can get for my money but haven't driven both so wondered if it was worth the extra bucks for 60BHP and all that torque :biggrin3: ? I will obviously sort test drives out in both in the coming weeks.

What are the 'must haves' ? Best colour choice (not sure on Nardo)? Alcantara?? HUD?? etc.

Just need a bit of advice before taking the plunge.

Also seen this https://www.fontain.co.uk/audi-rs6-avan ... re-6410236 which was originally £59k a few months ago, sold but now back on the market. Also local to me. Seems good spec so is it the colour that's putting people off?

Any comments gratefully received.

Cheers all.
Shane

Current
2017 C7 Nardo RS6 Performance

Gone:
C43 AMG Coupe
Black E92 M3
Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon
B6 S4 Saloon Tip
B5 S4 Avant
8L S3
Lexus IS 200
Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 lsi
Vauxhall Astra 1.6l
Fiat Uno Turbo
Fiat 127 Sport
Ford Cortina MK5
Opel Kadett

Lig
4th Gear

Re: Anyone Know This Car

Post by Lig » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:07 am

Hi Shagga,

I was in your shoes about 3 weeks ago albeit with a smaller budget and so just out of the league of the PE cars, so I cant comment on whether they are worth the extra or not.

I find my standard car plenty fast enough, scary in fact, I really dont know why you would need any more power - But of course if you could find a PE for similar money and spec to a non PE then it would be a no brainer to go for the one that is better value. I used 'webuyanycar' to look at the 'trade' value when comparing cars and it seemed to work. And like you say drive both and then you will see if the PE is worth it to you....

One option at the top of my list was the Dynamic Pack, as I much preferred the DRC to the air suspension (again personal preference) but I drove both and much preferred the feel of the DRC. I think all the PE cars have DRC (but I could be wrong) - so worth checking this out too...

As for colour Riviera is of course the best :D . But yes I think White is not up there at the top of everyones list. Audi have had a white one for months which I was looking at, and is a great spec (for what I wanted) but I do think it was just the colour that was not popular.

I was so close to buying a Misano one, and I still think they look awesome in Misano, BUT I spoke to a few people, one of which the main stealers and they told me that Misano cars are just so hard to shift and so effect the trade price.

The one at Fountain looks nice, but it isn't a PE? I think this ones looks good - but I didnt want a Daytona car... yes more miles, but there has always got to be a compromise, but I suppose it also depends on how many miles you are going to cover....

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/aud ... ICE_SALE,U

ALSO - (not that this is a big issue) but insurance on the PE for me was about 25% higher so worth checking...

Hope this is of some help??!!

Lig.

Iain
4th Gear

Post by Iain » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:39 am

Welcome back to the fold (in advance)

Coming from a Non PE to a PE - there doesn't feel a lot in it performance wise- from a personal perspective, I just wanted the "latest" model having had my previous 6 for 2 years - I also liked the PE wheels more too.

Economy wise, if you drive it sensibly, 35mpg is possible on a run. In town it's around 17mpg and if you're playing with it, single figures. I get around real range 350miles to a tank and £78 to fill it with momentum

As for colours - Riviera is beautiful. Nardos are popular (I went for one) - I'd steer clear of Misano and White (just personal choice and they seem to hang around on forecourts longer) - Nardo being a flat colour is also easy to paint - Mines done 21k and is starting to look a little chippy at the front. As with my previous sepang blue, the base colour is white, so chips can be quite noticeable.

Personally, I love the alcantara interior over the full leather - looks way nicer though the caveat is that your arse doesn't move an inch when you are in them, you can't slide around on the seat. Plus it marks easily.

Spec wise, this has been done to death on numerous threads.....but for me, Pan Roof was a deal breaker as was HUD. As time goes by and come resale, values will all fall into line, therefore when you have your hard earned cash, from a selling perspective, the car with the better spec will be the one that goes first (assuming all other parameters are in line, servicing records etc etc) - wouldn't bother with the OEM sports exhaust as a must have as it's not that noisy and an aftermarket, Milltek will transform the noise, though p1ss the neighbours off

The Golf R, Audi S1 and Audi S3 boys will make your life hell too asking you to blip the throttle. M3 and M4 drivers will be having a go, to prove that their rep mobile with 20's can keep up - (they can't) :biggrin2:

Interestingly enough, my PE doesn't have the DRC, whereas my previous 6 did - as a number of other owners myself included, a % of cars have had their DRC fail, I think it's around £1500 a corner if its not in warranty. I've not really noticed the difference on my current car - the DRC has increased speed limit too, though mine, not having DRC is supposed to be limited to 155mph - (it's not :bigblink: )

I'd steer clear of modded ones that are under 3 years old, purely from the TD1 code it will throw up and the hassle Audi Stealers will give you if something such as DRC were to fail, despite them having to theoretically demonstrate that a Map was instrumental in causing a failure of X or Y parts.

Shout if you have anymore questions. Either way, whichever model you go for you'll love it.....

When you come to buy, ask when the discs and pads were replaced - they tend to last around 20-23k miles and are around £1200 for a front set and £800 for rears. Tyres last circa (mine) around 15k and mine has an easy life. £220 / corner - Costco.
2018 Brabus G63 Widestar
2017 RS6 PE -Nardo, Air, HUD, Pan.....Millie Non Res
2015 RS6 - with Added Milltek
2015 RRS - utter sh1te
2010 X5 4.0D M Sport Every conceivable extra
2010 X5 4.0D M Sport
2009 R8 V10 Manual
2004 Lambo Gallarado Manual
3 x 997 C4S / C2s
2003 Fezza 360 Spider - Airfix kit build quality
2007 M3 - car number 2 in the UK
2006 RS4 Avant
2000 RS4 MTM Stage 3 - R55 BYE
2001 RS4 - R500 FOR
1990 Dimma Cosworth H20 COS
2003 996 DMS Turbo
multiple 205's Dimmas

ShaneyB
Top Gear

Post by ShaneyB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:17 am

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.
Isn't taste weird! The white looked amazing in the flesh but not sure if I'll get the a*se with it after a while trying to keep it clean. Didn't know DRC was with Dynamic Pack only but having owned a B7 RS4 previously I know about the leaking issues they had. I would like a sunroof, heated rear seats, Keyless entry, Hill hold (and 360 camera if they are available for the car? I also think I prefer the standard wheels over the Performance. Never used HUD so feel like I wouldn't be missing anything but correct me if I'm wrong. AAaaarrggh!

Couple of questions:

What is Audi Phone box?
Am I able to get online or send addresses from my phone straight to the NAV?
Are there different levels of NAV?
Any known faults I should know about?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers

Shane
Shane

Current

Gone:
C43 AMG Coupe
Black E92 M3
Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon
B6 S4 Saloon Tip
B5 S4 Avant
8L S3
Lexus IS 200
Vauxhall Astra 1.6l
Fiat Uno Turbo
Fiat 127 Sport
Ford Cortina MK5
Opel Kadett

Lig
4th Gear

Post by Lig » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi Shane,

Yeah its all personal taste and the other thing is that these cars look soooooo much better in the flesh than they do in photos, so I can relate to your point on the white in the flesh.....
DRC is with Dynamic pack, but I also think (could be wrong) that it was a separate option also and I think this did change over the years (not just for pre and post facelift).
360 are available as mine has it, but yes an option 'KA6 Top View Camera'.
HUD I think is great. Mine dosen't have this, but I wish it did. I drove a couple with it and it was great. BUT I think its one of those things that once you have had it you have to have it! As you haven't had it then you obvs wont miss it!

I dont know what 'Audi Phone Box' is? Maybe this is the Mobile Phone Prep - High with Audi Connect???
Yes you can send addresses from phone app to NAV BUT only if your car has Audi Connect..
I 'Think' the NAV is standard....but again Audi Connect helps here with Google maps (or so I am told)... But hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon to clarify....

Cheers,
Lig.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:07 pm

It might be worth ringing Alex at Fontain and asking him what the story is on the white RS6. Speaking from experience Alex only takes car's that are in good condition with good history etc. You could register your interest with a variety of places if you know what you are looking for roughly.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

ShaneyB
Top Gear

Post by ShaneyB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 pm

I went in to see it a while ago with David but thought it weird it sold and then back on sale again a week or so later.
Shane

Current

Gone:
C43 AMG Coupe
Black E92 M3
Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon
B6 S4 Saloon Tip
B5 S4 Avant
8L S3
Lexus IS 200
Vauxhall Astra 1.6l
Fiat Uno Turbo
Fiat 127 Sport
Ford Cortina MK5
Opel Kadett

Iain
4th Gear

Post by Iain » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 pm

What is Audi Phone box? - God knows but I have wireless charging on mine, save for the fact my phone is not compatible
Am I able to get online or send addresses from my phone straight to the NAV? - Not sure
Are there different levels of NAV? - Nope not on the RS
Any known faults I should know about? - Just DRC I think - a couple of peeps have had issues with Pan Roofs leaking into the floor, blockages. The wheels you prefer are "RS4 B5 gate" for those that remember back in the day, in that they seem to bend on a number of cars. I've had 2 6's since 2015 and have had no issues. Compare that to a new Rangey I had which spent more time in the dealers than on my drive.

if you can get HUD then have it. Didn't have it on my 1st 6 but have it on current one, and I'd struggle to go back, if for nothing else the speedometer!!!!! though I got done for 98 so not sure I can qualify what I just said!!!

Camera is a must, I had a std rear facing one on my 15plate 6 - My 67 plate has top view, side view, every fooking corner view including front facing view too. Only ever use rear view. Keyless is nice too,

Pan lets a lot of light into the car, which is why I love it. Have I ever opened them on either car - probably less than 5 times in 4 yrs!
2018 Brabus G63 Widestar
2015 RRS - utter sh1te
2010 X5 4.0D M Sport
2009 R8 V10 Manual
3 x 997 C4S / C2s
2006 RS4 Avant
2001 RS4 - R500 FOR
2003 996 DMS Turbo
multiple 205's Dimmas

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 pm

Here you go - https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/pho ... -box-42314

Nice problem to have mate. £60k will get you plenty of car. My advice would be to be patient. There are plenty of RS6s out there for sale and new ones come up almost daily. I bought mine (a PE) 7 months ago and as I wasn't in a rush I just kept sniffing around the market and going to see the occasional car and then boom - every single thing I was looking for came up in the car I bought and the spec is mega.

This is my first RS6 (and first Audi in fact) so I have nothing to compare it against, but the things I like are:

* Pan roof - lots of light and air in the car. Especially nice for rear passengers.
* HUD - as a previous post mentioned, once you have had it you want it. I have had it on various Range Rovers and am a huge fan. The audi system is a million times better than the Land Rover one by the way.
* Ceramic brakes - holy smokes do these things work well.
* Bang & Olufson advanced sound - I like quality music in the car. I would never pay the ridiculous extra they ask for when new but am sure happy my used car has it. The standard Bose system gets lots of complaints.
* 21" performance wheels - work better for me, and are not immune but seem much less prone to the dreaded buckling issue (if you haven't heard of that just search the forum)
* Black - whilst I actually wanted a grey one, black is really nice (although dirty most of the time). I wouldn't touch white or red on an RS6 personally. Just doesn't work for me. They are much less common for a reason.

The only thing I would have liked that wasn't on my car was rear heated seats. Even though it's a fairly cheap option, it's surprisingly uncommon I found. Sure there are cars that have it, but more that don't.

Hope this helps.
:beerchug:
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
67 plate RS6 Performance (fully loaded)
66 plate Range Rover Autobiography (for wafting around)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

Favourite car ever owned:
1971 Citroen DS21 - The Goddess (pure art on wheels)

onurserkan
Neutral

Post by onurserkan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:38 am

Just been reading this thread I can point out that you guys have put together a very good realistic advise. So i would like to contribute.

I’ve recently bought my facelift non PE after looking around for 5 months before buying. I am very picky with options list and I got a good spec’d one I believe. I do tend to do 4-5 euro trips a year as well as drive around UK to various places from London. Therefore assistance pack was a must for me (Active cruise control, blind spot assist and lane assist) I think its takes away stress on long journeys.

I also had to have pan roof and I’ve been using it more often than I thought I would, especially leaving it tilted to air out the car.

Bose sound system works well for me plus its standard on the RS6.

HUD is great to have too but some people don’t mind not having one.

I have audi phone box but don’t really know what difference it has as mine does come with audi connect, maybe both are linked.

Soft door closure, absolutely love it. Stops the wife slamming the door, and now that i’ve had it I would never choose not to have one again.

High beam assist, works brilliant with matrix lights if you do night driving.

360 cameras are good due to the size of the car, especially to see if you are parked in a bay correctly and not at an angle.

DRC i think drives really well as it takes away the boaty feel as opposed to air ride, yet its still very comfortable in comfot mode.

Keyless is also good to have but if it didn’t have one, I wouldn’t of bothered speccing the car up with one from new.

Rear heated seats is good to have but this depends on how many passenger you usually carry. Wish it transferred the heat to the car seat :-)

Leather seats vs alcantara, i would opt for alcantara as it could get sweaty on long journeys. I’ve always went for half leather on my previous cars and was comfortable on long journeys.

Colour is just personal preference, but as said before white and red is quite rear and usually for a reason. I have a daytona grey with black optics pack combined with 21 diamond cut black insert wheels which I believe is a good combo.

I use my 6 daily to work and do 6miles round trip in central London, I usually average 10-12mpg! Couple times went north and got 28-32mpg on a long run which aint bad. Therefore £102-£105 tank returns me 180miles in town, whereas this figure will reach 320miles on long a journey. I hope these info’s help you with your new buy.

ShaneyB
Top Gear

Post by ShaneyB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:59 am

Thank you all so much for your advice. Fuel economy isn't too different to my E92 so no major shocks there. Last two cars have been black on black and whilst a PITA to keep clean they look fantastic when polished. I will probably consider Daytona (really shows off the curves and arches), black and possibly Nardo. I will also look to get as much for my money as possible and I have time on my side thankfully.

If anyone's in or around the Uxbridge area and fancies giving me a tour please let me know.

Any other advise always welcome and thank you all again.

Cheers

Shane
Shane

Current

Gone:
C43 AMG Coupe
Black E92 M3
Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon
B6 S4 Saloon Tip
B5 S4 Avant
8L S3
Lexus IS 200
Vauxhall Astra 1.6l
Fiat Uno Turbo
Fiat 127 Sport
Ford Cortina MK5
Opel Kadett

ShaneyB
Top Gear

Post by ShaneyB » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:22 am

Hi guys,
I can't believe the thing has come down another £1k? Surely a drop of £7k in 6 months can't just be down to colour?
Quite tempted to go for this if it drives well and in good condition and then wrap it. I must add I have a test drive in a new RS4 on Wednesday for comparison.

https://www.fontain.co.uk/audi-rs6-avan ... re-6410236

Also for the record, I am useless at making decisions.
Shane

Current

Gone:
C43 AMG Coupe
Black E92 M3
Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon
B6 S4 Saloon Tip
B5 S4 Avant
8L S3
Lexus IS 200
Vauxhall Astra 1.6l
Fiat Uno Turbo
Fiat 127 Sport
Ford Cortina MK5
Opel Kadett

Iain
4th Gear

Post by Iain » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Lovely spec and nice miles. It will just be the colour....its a marmite colour - not read al the advert, but at that mileage I'd expect to see new or newish tyres and evidence the pads and discs were replaced as they tend to last only 23kmiles. Having said that the boys in Fontains are great, I'm sure it will be as it should be

New RS4 won't be a patch on the 6 - caveat being if you love tech, then you'll go for the 4 over the 6
2018 Brabus G63 Widestar
2015 RRS - utter sh1te
2010 X5 4.0D M Sport
2009 R8 V10 Manual
3 x 997 C4S / C2s
2006 RS4 Avant
2001 RS4 - R500 FOR
2003 996 DMS Turbo
multiple 205's Dimmas

ab54666
2nd Gear

Post by ab54666 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Basically the same (looks) as my car, colour and wheels etc.

Personally I really like white and was one of 3 colours I was considering on the 6.

Doesn’t seem a bad price either, go for it!

asifg
3rd Gear

Post by asifg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Shagga wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:22 am
Hi guys,
I can't believe the thing has come down another £1k? Surely a drop of £7k in 6 months can't just be down to colour?
Quite tempted to go for this if it drives well and in good condition and then wrap it. I must add I have a test drive in a new RS4 on Wednesday for comparison.

https://www.fontain.co.uk/audi-rs6-avan ... re-6410236

Also for the record, I am useless at making decisions.
Hope you're well Shane - I bought your S3 off you in 2003!

I actually like them in white, but if you're looking to wrap it then Herts Tints in St Albans is a good place. The owner also has a white RS6!

Good luck!

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”