Electronic Handbrake

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Jamie_P
Neutral

Electronic Handbrake

Post by Jamie_P » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi all,

Is it 100% necessary to use the electric handbrake whilst parked? My dad insists it doesn’t matter if you don’t use it, but I’m worried about the health of his gearbox long-term. I’ve kept trying to tell him to use it but he won’t listen. :nogarors4:

Tadass910
5th Gear

Re: Electronic Handbrake

Post by Tadass910 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:39 pm

I use it always

LeeRS6
2nd Gear

Post by LeeRS6 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Always use mine, its on auto, I do park on a slope though.

wildbore
4th Gear

Post by wildbore » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 am

Your father should google "automatic gearbox parking pawl" and see the small plate and the weak spring that the auto box uses to implement the gearbox "P-Park" function. It is simply a slim metal plate with a small hook on it held in place by a lightweight spring. Then imagine leaving that to hold 2 tonnes of car stationary on a steep hill. And then compare all that to a full handbrake mechanism with shoes and drums on each rear axle (what is the handbrake setup on the RS6? Is it a separate drum, or incorporated into the rear calipers?).
You would have to be mad - or an American citizen - not to use the handbrake whenever the car is stationary.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:48 am

wildbore wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 am
Your father should google "automatic gearbox parking pawl" and see the small plate and the weak spring that the auto box uses to implement the gearbox "P-Park" function. It is simply a slim metal plate with a small hook on it held in place by a lightweight spring. Then imagine leaving that to hold 2 tonnes of car stationary on a steep hill. And then compare all that to a full handbrake mechanism with shoes and drums on each rear axle (what is the handbrake setup on the RS6? Is it a separate drum, or incorporated into the rear calipers?).
You would have to be mad - or an American citizen - not to use the handbrake whenever the car is stationary.
The C7 has the electronic hand brake incorporated into the main rear caliper.

The only time I don't use the handbrake is after washing the car and parking it back in my level garage.

Jamie_P
Neutral

Post by Jamie_P » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:01 pm

wildbore wrote:
Thanks for that, now that I have a solid reason he might listen to me.

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Post by DaveBee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:41 pm

In the US they call it an emergency brake and consequently that's what they use it for. Never for parking. You don't hear of thousands of US claims because they broke their gearbox. Just sayin' :)
David

wildbore
4th Gear

Post by wildbore » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:08 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:41 pm
In the US they call it an emergency brake and consequently that's what they use it for. Never for parking. You don't hear of thousands of US claims because they broke their gearbox. Just sayin' :)
It's a fair point - but they also put signs on the sides of roads that are steep telling you to park with your wheels pointing hard into the kerb (curb) so that the kerb will stop you when your car rolls off. You don't see that in the UK.

From a point of "mechanical sympathy" have you heard the "bang" you get from your gearbox when you move from Park to Drive on a steep hill if you haven't used your handbrake?

In fairness, the parking pawl will hold in any ordinary circumstances. However, if the vehicle is shunted, the pawl can sheer and let the vehicle roll. A handbrake will continue to grip the vehicle even after it has been shunted. I know where I put my faith!

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:39 am

MikeFish wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:48 am
wildbore wrote:

The only time I don't use the handbrake is after washing the car and parking it back in my level garage.
Because of rust?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Tadass910 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:39 am
MikeFish wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:48 am
wildbore wrote:

Because of rust?
Yes, otherwise they rust together and make a loud noise when trying to drive off.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”