Turbo Failure

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
mikehigham
Neutral

Turbo Failure

Post by mikehigham » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi All

Apologies for posting this here but I have a 2014 C7 S6 and not a lot of people look at that side of the forum so I was hoping for some help from the RS family!

I have an S6 avant that has covered 42,000 miles and wanted for nothing. On Friday driving along at 50 with no warning the car stopped and when i tried to restart it sounded like a metal on metal sound but engine would not fire. Got the car recovered to my local garage and diagnosed dead turbo. It is an indy garage in Surrey that are great and serviced the car last year for me after I got useless service from my local dealer in Walton-On-Thames.

My question is while this is a big expensive job should I have the good turbo replaced as well? I am looking at about £6000 for both to be replaced and labour! OR do I get it done at MRC where those guys have a lot of experience in doing such work- my indy doesn't do many blown turbo's and it is a major job to replace both.

Thanks for any replies

Mike

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Re: Turbo Failure

Post by RS4LAD » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:55 am

You’ll get that much cheaper at mrc.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18 am

Hi and welcome - I think a FON is in order!

The decision on what to do has to be made in the context of your longer term plans for the car. From the brief description below I'm guessing that you want to keep the car for the long term.

If it's a long term keeper then I would suggest getting the car trailered up to MRC is your best bet and then let them advise on the level of work to be done. Clearly with one dead turbo you have the option of upgrading the turbo's and a host of other mods. There may well be a list of other preventative stuff that should be done when the engine is out. Hey - you could end up with it being nearly an RS6!! :FIREdevil:

If however you don't plan on keeping the car then I'd look for the cheapest place to get the one turbo replaced and move the car on ASAP. :piss:

Good luck! :rocker:

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:39 pm

First of all, you might want to check audizine as there has been lots posts and info on blown turbo's (apperently maybe fail in the US...).
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthre ... Turbo-Poll

First, you have several options.In most cases it is just the front part (fines and/or shaft) that is damaged/broken.So in most cases you can go 'cheap' and only replace the front "cold' side of the turbo aka CHRA. Not so many shops sell CHRA's but you have at least one in the US and several in Europe.Not sure if avertisement is allowed, but feel free to PM me.But we are talking about roughtly 1000euro for set of 2 replacement CHRA's. Labor depends on your Shop offcourse.

BUT most important and especially since you have a prefacelift or older model...if is HIGHLY recommanded you let them replace your oil screen with the latest large flow screen.That is a small 2cm filter screen located under the oil seperator deep in the V. Requires some extra labor (including removing the front radiator to get access to the oil seperator connection line) but most likely the oil screen is cluttered with oil slugde and isn't providing enough oil to your turbo's! Not saying that is the issue of your failed turbo...but many found out it was that so bite the money and replace because if you don't, 9/10 they fire the car up and you break brand new turbo's.
While they at it, let them clean or replace the oil return valve aswell (valve that shuts down under low pressure so oil stays in the turbo lines).
Since the oil seperator need to be removed, you might want to replace that one aswell with the latest version as that is a known failure part aswell. It will safe you labor money in the long run while they at it.

Depending on your driving, you might want to do more often oil changes....
Good luck

mikehigham
Neutral

Post by mikehigham » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks for your replies chaps- It's an ongoing decision process to keep the car or not- I have lost a bit of faith in the brand as this really should not happen at 40,000 miles on a vehicle that is serviced when it should be and also it wants for nothing!

Thanks

Mike

wildbore
4th Gear

Post by wildbore » Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 am

Is there any update on this from Audi? There is a Technical Service Bulletin on this, apparently: Technical Service Bulletin (Investigation) 2043881/10 V8 4.0TFSI Turbo failure that appears to point the finger at the oil filter screen (as mentioned above). It seems to me that, if the filter is known to clog up and trash the turbos, this is something that needs addressing with a preventative action, rather than waiting until the turbos let go. Trouble is, it isn't easily accessible. There is a modified filter screen for cars from 2017, it appears, which is also fitted when the turbos are replaced (again, as mentioned above).

welwynnick
4th Gear

Post by welwynnick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:57 am

mikehigham wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:51 pm
Thanks for your replies chaps- It's an ongoing decision process to keep the car or not- I have lost a bit of faith in the brand as this really should not happen at 40,000 miles on a vehicle that is serviced when it should be and also it wants for nothing!
How frequently has it actually been serviced?

Nick

Paulm
Top Gear

Post by Paulm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:05 pm

I know where to get very cheap Cores with billet wheels if anyone's interested :thumbs:

Bit of a joke this, 100k cars and the turbos failing around 40k miles
BMW 540i
2018 GTR
F90 M5
X3MC
RS3 Saloon
RS7 FL best car I've owned. No faith in turbo oil screen (turbos failing) or sticking oil scraper ring causing missfires.
F10 M5 LCI still no rear grip lol
S7 black Edition Too big and heavy
S3 8V FL DSG 310ps, road noise is a joke
RS3 8P Rubbish
C7 RS6 Fantastic car but missed playing
GTR R35 800bhp, too extreme, crazy fast though
911 Turbo Remapped. Hated it
F10 M5, awesome but no rear grip
RS6 V10 700BHP crazy
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 600bhp

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”