Anyone fitted R8 buttons to the C7 wheel?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
adamstocks
Neutral

Anyone fitted R8 buttons to the C7 wheel?

Post by adamstocks » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:28 am

After looking for a way to get the steering wheel asterisk to control drive select vs the crap options Audi give you... and then finding out you can't just have it programmed in but need to buy the whole button cluster off the performance wheel for ~£300 - I stumbled upon these:

https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AUDI/A ... paket.html

I've seen these on a YouTube video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_llreiqHuk) but always thought it was someone too many ££££'s to spend on ripping the system off an R8 wheel and having a bespoke wheel made along with lots of programming time. However, I'm pleased to hear this is a plug and play system that has a programmed module included in the price (Drive select change only seems to work with FL cars). My only concern is that it requires cutting the steering wheel to mount them.

Has anyone on here done this? Was it a fairly straight forward job? How OEM does it look? How big is the cut away? etc etc

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Re: Anyone fitted R8 buttons to the C7 wheel?

Post by DaveBee » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:17 pm

I had a quote of £1300 to fit those buttons and all 4 will work. The beauty of them of course is that they use your existing wheel and so there's no air bag complications etc. Audi Retrofits know all about them and they work both pre and post facelift. The advertising of them (they're made in Germany) does hint that DS only works post FL, but that's been confirmed to be incorrect. A great buy I think if you really think it's worth it.
David

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:00 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:17 pm
I had a quote of £1300 to fit those buttons and all 4 will work. The beauty of them of course is that they use your existing wheel and so there's no air bag complications etc. Audi Retrofits know all about them and they work both pre and post facelift. The advertising of them (they're made in Germany) does hint that DS only works post FL, but that's been confirmed to be incorrect. A great buy I think if you really think it's worth it.
Who or what source you got that is saying DS does work on pre facelift modules? All sources i checked say you indeed need to change them.
Soon hopefully got my R8 wheel working and custom (that is an other downside, most don't want to look into adjusting codes per button...).

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Post by DaveBee » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:54 pm

dasquade wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:00 pm
DaveBee wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:17 pm
Who or what source you got that is saying DS does work on pre facelift modules? All sources i checked say you indeed need to change them.
Soon hopefully got my R8 wheel working and custom (that is an other downside, most don't want to look into adjusting codes per button...).
Ash at Audi Retrofits. That man knows his stuff and would probably also look into adjusting codes per button for you if needed.
David

adamstocks
Neutral

Post by adamstocks » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks for the replies - It does seem a little step, I just think it'll helps make the RS6 feel that extra bit more special... but more than anything remove the annoying 'Car' > *twist* > *twist* > *Click* - everytime you want to switch from Comfort to dynamic.

Dave, do you know if Ash would be able to make the exhaust button work? On the link I posted above, in mentions that you need to have an extra module/box at the cost of €480 to regulate the exhaust flaps!

jwlanky
1st Gear

Post by jwlanky » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:18 pm

If you just wanted quick access to drive select then you could just swap the existing steering wheel buttons (assuming you have the non-PE car)... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A6-4G-d ... 2241778438

Anth
3rd Gear

Post by Anth » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 pm

Sure a few have fitting the R8 steering wheel to the RS6 I've seen it a couple of times online I fitted a Alcantara M5 race wheel in my M6 was really nice . With the RS6 Theres not too many options, the RS3 has a few nice options I think too.
2017 C7 RS6 PE Nardo
2014 911 991 C4S PDK White
2013 M6 Cab Blk
2012 911 997 MK2 PDK Silver
2007 RS4 Cab Grey

Anth
3rd Gear

Post by Anth » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 pm

2017 C7 RS6 PE Nardo
2014 911 991 C4S PDK White
2013 M6 Cab Blk
2012 911 997 MK2 PDK Silver
2007 RS4 Cab Grey

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Post by DaveBee » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:05 am

adamstocks wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 pm
Thanks for the replies - It does seem a little step, I just think it'll helps make the RS6 feel that extra bit more special... but more than anything remove the annoying 'Car' > *twist* > *twist* > *Click* - everytime you want to switch from Comfort to dynamic.

Dave, do you know if Ash would be able to make the exhaust button work? On the link I posted above, in mentions that you need to have an extra module/box at the cost of €480 to regulate the exhaust flaps!
When I was talking to Ash about it in January the only button he was a little concerned about was the DSC but even that he felt pretty sure about as it already has it's own button. If your car has the sports exhaust, then the flaps are already individually switchable and so yes, the button should work. However, it's little difference to switching to sport mode on the gear shift - after all, you want the best noise, which is when it's revving :)

Give him a call, he's one of the friendliest and most knowledgeable people I've met in the aftermarket/retro fit game.
David

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”