Pirelli P Zero

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Ian_C
Cruising

Re: Pirelli P Zero

Post by Ian_C » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:22 pm

MikeBirt wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:55 am
This looks familiar...
My P zero is exactly the same, rest of tyre has good wear, edges are coming apart. I have a set of PSS waiting for me this week.
I have had PSS on my B8 RS4 and the turn in and balance on that car was amazing. The 6 is an understeer disaster (all geo's checked and re-checked). I'm hoping that the the PSS will re-coup some lost ground as I'm no fan of these PZ. Audi tells me they are OEM recommended for my car :-/

https://imgur.com/a/WuU90vW

I will check the pressures though - as wear on the edge and not on in the middle sounds like under pressure to me.

Just as a side note - on full lock do your front wheels 'hop''?
as if the suspension kinematics are all wrong for the wheels... (geo oem stock check 3x now.)
From my experience I've seen this only on cars with oversized wheels.
Yikes!! :shock:

Yeah, all of the permanent quattros grumble on full lock on tarmac.

Several threads on C7 geo - one several pages long headed up by Mikefish I think. If you have tried three times with factory Audi geo and wish to reduce the understeer, one option to consider is to wind the rear axle toe-in back to zero. Virtually all cars come with nice safe boring understeer inducing rear toe in - the C7 certainly does stock from factory. Winding this back to zero will make the car much more pointy. Even going from 0.2 or 0.25 degrees back to 0 each side makes a big difference.

*Mike, please insert link below!
B5 B6 B7 B9

MikeBirt
Neutral

Post by MikeBirt » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks for that info - I may try it.

Rear toe I thought was there to zero it out under acceleration.. Not heard of it reducing understeer (which is worst under zero throttle or brake).
It came as a shock to see that the front wishbones were non-adjustable. Personally think an adjustable set would be a good seller as soon as someone gets a set in production.

I saw that powerflex have an angled bush, but I have had really bad experiences with sloppy fitment in aftermarket bushes before so i would not go near them.

Looking forward to trying the PSS.

Any peeps out there running 20's experiencing hop on full lock?
Anyone moved from 20 to 21 and vice versa have anything to say about differences in handling?

:-)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:18 pm

MikeBirt wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 pm
Thanks for that info - I may try it.

Rear toe I thought was there to zero it out under acceleration.. Not heard of it reducing understeer (which is worst under zero throttle or brake).
It came as a shock to see that the front wishbones were non-adjustable. Personally think an adjustable set would be a good seller as soon as someone gets a set in production.

I saw that powerflex have an angled bush, but I have had really bad experiences with sloppy fitment in aftermarket bushes before so i would not go near them.

Looking forward to trying the PSS.

Any peeps out there running 20's experiencing hop on full lock?
Anyone moved from 20 to 21 and vice versa have anything to say about differences in handling?

:-)
I swap between 20s and 21s and the only difference I can tell is down to tyre choice i.e. levels of grip / traction in the wet (20" Pirellis vs 21" dunlops vs 21" Michelins). No noticeable difference for me with handling, noise or ride quality.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:19 pm

Ian_C wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:22 pm
MikeBirt wrote:
This looks familiar...
My P zero is exactly the same, rest of tyre has good wear, edges are coming apart. I have a set of PSS waiting for me this week.
I have had PSS on my B8 RS4 and the turn in and balance on that car was amazing. The 6 is an understeer disaster (all geo's checked and re-checked). I'm hoping that the the PSS will re-coup some lost ground as I'm no fan of these PZ. Audi tells me they are OEM recommended for my car :-/

I will check the pressures though - as wear on the edge and not on in the middle sounds like under pressure to me.

as if the suspension kinematics are all wrong for the wheels... (geo oem stock check 3x now.)

Several threads on C7 geo - one several pages long headed up by Mikefish I think. If you have tried three times with factory Audi geo and wish to reduce the understeer, one option to consider is to wind the rear axle toe-in back to zero. Virtually all cars come with nice safe boring understeer inducing rear toe in - the C7 certainly does stock from factory. Winding this back to zero will make the car much more pointy. Even going from 0.2 or 0.25 degrees back to 0 each side makes a big difference.

This one?
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=120887

LeeRS6
2nd Gear

Post by LeeRS6 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 am

I’ve been through two sets of Pzeros running 3.1 front and 2.8 rear and both sets have been absolutely fine, just out of interest what is the Dot dates on your tyres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toffeebananas
1st Gear

Post by Toffeebananas » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:05 am

LeeRS6 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 am
I’ve been through two sets of Pzeros running 3.1 front and 2.8 rear and both sets have been absolutely fine, just out of interest what is the Dot dates on your tyres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front and back tyres have been replaced so can’t check the DOT Dates now. I did check them at the time and I think I rembember them to have been a little over 2 years old.

MikeBirt
Neutral

Post by MikeBirt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:58 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:18 pm

I swap between 20s and 21s and the only difference I can tell is down to tyre choice i.e. levels of grip / traction in the wet (20" Pirellis vs 21" dunlops vs 21" Michelins). No noticeable difference for me with handling, noise or ride quality.
Thanks for that.. Interesting.
Same wheel hop on full lock?

Checking pressures and will have a look for dot mark tonight. I have some track time booked for tomorrow.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Wheel hop generally depends on road surface (wet / loose) and amount of grip left on tyres.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:19 pm
Ian_C wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:22 pm
MikeBirt wrote:
This looks familiar...

This one?
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=120887
Yes, I think that's one of several of the more in-depth ones. :beerchug:
B5 B6 B7 B9

MikeBirt
Neutral

Post by MikeBirt » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Dot XT Y8 T-173

Today...
6 laps into a track day at Croft I came in as the car had that treacle feeling. To be fair, I was pushing - just trying to find a feel for the car as this is the first time I've driven it on track, so the tyres were getting some stick, but the front left is destroyed, and the other 3 loosing the fight badly. There were some snotters on the tyre, which may have been from other peoples tyres (maybe not) but 6 laps killed them, and it's 8 degrees and march the 1st on the first day the track has been opened all year.

Not impressed with P zero on the road, let alone before they decided to self destruct.
You see the inside edges in the centre of the tyre?
Could I be forgiven for calling them a re-mould? lol
...appalling :-/

http://flic.kr/p/2eZ1PeR
https://flic.kr/p/2eZ1PiD
https://flic.kr/p/RdCsmD
https://flic.kr/p/2eZ1PqH
https://flic.kr/p/2eZ1PtZ

Oh well, got to look on the bright side. Fuel didn't come the full mark today!
I have to confess there were some serious cars there today including the below... The 6 is a fight to get its weight to the apex, but once there it's pretty good fun out the other side..

https://flic.kr/p/2dT5hNu

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Quality - you finished those off in style!! :beerchug:

Only concern I guess would have been the front left rapidly deflating on one of those two super fast right hand kinks on the back straight (the Jim Clark Esses??? and the corner after it) and the car going straight on...... just like Vettel did at the super fast turn 3 at Barcelona yesterday when the wheel rim came apart.....

Would love to see the look on your tyre fitters face when you turn up and present those shagged Pirellis to have your Michelins fitted over the next few days!
B5 B6 B7 B9

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Wow, you really destroyed those tyres.

MikeBirt
Neutral

Post by MikeBirt » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Bear in mind those PZ saw only 6 laps and I was no way pushing top speed - the jim clark s's are hardly corners.. but the track took the brakes past their limits if I am honest. It's a big car, today drove that lesson home.

Back home with some new PSS on.
MILES better - have not pushed the to the wall but the turn in and agility is hugely improved. On comfort there is some more squirrelling under power, but change to auto and this goes. Car feels alive - will take a pic in a mo. They look much better. Look forward to taking them out when the roads are a bit more quiet.

MikeBirt
Neutral

Post by MikeBirt » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:57 pm

PSS look much better as well..

https://flic.kr/p/2eZeaUz

PZ reminded me of stretched wideboy racer wheels.
I saw a set of PZ being fitted to a 911 today - dual compound version (the slencer is mounted right next to the centre of the wheel to heat the centre of the tyre as soon as you turn the key, thought that was interesting) the fitment on these was perfect, not stretched at all.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:44 pm

What brakes do you have? Stell brake lines, decent fluid and some decent pads make a good difference. I had Ferodo DS2500 and liked them once up to temp. No wear sensors though.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”