Buying advice c7 rs6

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Ojawed
Neutral

Buying advice c7 rs6

Post by Ojawed » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi guys looking at purchasing my first rs product.
I've spotted numerous rs6 on the audi used site for around £60k.
I definitely want a facelift but am not sure whether to go for the performance edition or the standard edition.

I've spotted a few cars with carbon ceramics, what are people's opinions on these?

2Brains
Neutral

Re: Buying advice c7 rs6

Post by 2Brains » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 pm

All depends on the prices I guess but I personally have the facelift, non-performance edition without carbon ceramics.

Absolutely love the car. I personally could never convince myself that the minor additions offered from the performance edition added enough real world improvement for the price increases associated but that’s just me. I’ve also had a number of spirited drives and never wished I had the ceramics either. Again, just my own findings. Either way, with any of the options you will not regret buying one, that’s for sure.

Happy shopping.
Edinburgh Based Nardo Grey C7 RS6

rtd
Cruising

Post by rtd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm

2Brains wrote:All depends on the prices I guess but I personally have the facelift, non-performance edition without carbon ceramics.

Absolutely love the car. I personally could never convince myself that the minor additions offered from the performance edition added enough real world improvement for the price increases associated but that’s just me. I’ve also had a number of spirited drives and never wished I had the ceramics either. Again, just my own findings. Either way, with any of the options you will not regret buying one, that’s for sure.

Happy shopping.
You don’t know how good ceramics are until you’ve tried them. Steel discs are no comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Ceramic must be on such car there is even no need to talk

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:55 pm

But the steel discs still do a good job of stopping the car.

rtd
Cruising

Post by rtd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:01 pm

MikeFish wrote:But the steel discs still do a good job of stopping the car.
I didn’t say they weren’t good at stopping the car but I would have ceramics all day over steel - having had steel then ceramic on my C6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

ChrisYates10
1st Gear

Post by ChrisYates10 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Ceramic brakes still wear don't they? Is the life expectancy much more than steel? Also, the cost of replacing them is far more than steel. What's the price of each from the dealers?

I'm not sure ceramic discs are worth whatever the extra is. Presumably on UK roads the car can't be driven at the speeds where ceramic brake deceleration rates are required?

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 pm

If your budget gets you into a Performance with Ceramics then why on earth not. £60k will certainly get you a Performance model, and if you can get one with ceramics for that price that sounds like a good buy. My car has ceramics and they are really, really good. Haven't driven an RS6 with steel brakes but clearly they work fine too as all cars would have ceramics as standard if steel brakes didn't stop the car well enough. No idea of the replacement cost of ceramics but that certainly won't be my issue. Maybe the next owner, or the one after that (or the one after that) will find out.

In terms of wear, yes Ceramic breaks last longer. If you are not planning on tracking the car (and it wasn't tracked by the previous owner) then the discs should last the lifetime of the car pretty much. Pads around 40k miles is normal, but there are plenty of stories of pads lasting way longer than that - I've heard 70k and above.
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
67 plate RS6 Performance (fully loaded)
66 plate Range Rover Autobiography (for wafting around)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

Favourite car ever owned:
1971 Citroen DS21 - The Goddess (pure art on wheels)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 pm

You can pick up a new set of discs on ebay for about £5 or 6k (so for front and rear about £10-12k)

pteyeo
Neutral

Post by pteyeo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Having ceramic's on my current rs6 yes they are very good. Having driven an rs6 with steel breaks on the road in 'normal' conditions they are just as good. On the track with heavy, prolonged breaking Ceramic are the ones to have obviously. Other advantages they are lighter, last longer, very little or no break dust and resale. Disadvantage....... expensive!! As stated before if you can find a rs6 with them great but it shouldn't be a deal breaker especially if your not regularly tracking the car.......

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”