Neutral?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Neutral?

Post by zappy-chops » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Folks, do you put your RS6 into neutral at the lights? I never used to bother putting automatic cars into neutral (just leave it in D and hold on the brakes) but for some reason I seem to have now developed a habit of doing it. Really not sure why, but it got me wondering what others do.

Some say it won't make a difference, or if it does it really negligible, others say that moving from D to N and back actually causes more wear, others say leaving it in D will add unnecessary heat/friction to the transmission, others say that it's good to shift to N to avoid added wear to the torque converter... blah blah blah.
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
67 plate RS6 Performance (fully loaded)
66 plate Range Rover Autobiography (for wafting around)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

Favourite car ever owned:
1971 Citroen DS21 - The Goddess (pure art on wheels)

Daveperc
Cruising

Re: Neutral?

Post by Daveperc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 pm

I put it into N if I think it will be a long light. What I haven't checked is if this then overrides the auto start/stop feature (which I find annoying!)

Not sure of pros and cons, but saves sitting holding the pedal!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 pm

I don't have many traffic lights around here but if I'm stopping somewhere for a while I leave it in D and put the handbrake on. Probably not healthy but I assume if the hand brake is on the car is clever enough to not try and fight against the brake etc.

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Can't imagine it works like that Mike. Surely when you stop and leave it in Drive, both, the engine and transmission are trying to push the car forward (even if only slightly) and the brakes are keeping the car still, so footbrake or handbrake is the same thing.
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm

zappy-chops wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:14 pm
Can't imagine it works like that Mike. Surely when you stop and leave it in Drive, both, the engine and transmission are trying to push the car forward (even if only slightly) and the brakes are keeping the car still, so footbrake or handbrake is the same thing.
Yes you are probably right but I'd like to think otherwerwise.

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Post by DaveBee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 pm

This is exactly what hold assist is for. The switch below the hand brake. It's for stop/start traffic and when on will automatically apply the brakes (not just the hand brake) when the car comes to a standstill. It has the added advantage of overriding stop/start (which I have reprogrammed in my car anyhow) and also not blinding the person behind with your brake lights once stopped.
David

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:41 pm

I don't like the Hill hold assist as I like to roll forward by just releasing the foot brake most of the time.

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:37 pm

So is it ok to just leave it in drive and press hold assist or better (or necessary) to put into neutral? I have used it a bunch but like Mike says, I too prefer to roll forward. I find it can jerk forward as you push through the hold assist. Maybe that's just my club foot!
Currently running:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Don't forget with my method, there is not need actually release the handbrake when you are ready to move off again as the handbrake will auto release as you as you press the accelerator (unless you don't have your seat belt on, but this can be changed with VCDS). Obvious, but as some of you don't read the user manual, you may not be aware of this.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 pm

some of you don't read the user manual
38%

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”