Manual or ‘S’ mode

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
rs4AAK
Neutral

Manual or ‘S’ mode

Post by rs4AAK » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:34 am

Hi this is my first post for many years.
I had a B5 Rs4 for over 12 years and was gutted when I had to sell it. Anyway I’ve treated myself to a 2015 Fl RS6 as I’ve always wanted one 😀 It’s a custom paint order Nogaro blue similar to my Rs4,I’ve had it for one month and I’m absolutely loving it so far , awesome power.
I’ve never really driven an auto and my question is, is it better/quicker in S mode, or can you get more out of it in M mode using paddles especially from standstill?
Attachments
356E8394-B916-40FC-9CB9-85227B354896.jpeg
D2F1DF26-11FB-41D8-9D75-1C7E3AB0833F.jpeg

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Manual or ‘S’ mode

Post by MikeFish » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 am

Unless you are taking it to the drag strip does a split second really matter? Use whichever mode gives you the most enjoyment.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:55 am

In my experience you are unlikely to beat S mode from a standing start etc.

Where I find manual is vital is when the gear changes need to anticipate road or traffic conditions etc, so preparing for overtaking, sharp bends, sudden incline changes etc.

I think the real answer is have a play, and find what works for you! :boots: :boots:

Dave

rs4AAK
Neutral

Post by rs4AAK » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for the replies I was reading through other posts online and couldn’t get a clear answer. It’s definitely a lot of fun with the paddle but a lot easier just sticking it in S mode. 👍🏼

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:58 am

I struggle to drive an auto in manual mode because I get too lazy and don't concentrate on gear changes like I would have to in a manual car so it pretty much stays in auto all the time.
However, I find the best driving mode for me is to have it in Dynamic and use the gear lever to toggle between D and S as required. Typically, as I approach a junction I pull the lever to select S. This give a lower gear for soke engine braking but also changes the throttle mapping to make it more responsive for a quick pull away should I need it. Once I've pulled off again I will pull the lever back again to change into D and stop it red lining unnecessarily. Unless of course I fancy a bit of red line action and leave it in S. Also, if I am getting ready for an overtaking move etc then I will pull the lever again to change into S mode. The throttle response in D is a little pants. I wish I could have the sharp throttle response permanently but without the red line gear change. Sometimes the gear changes work well in S and it changes up at the right time if you haven't got WOT but other times I want it to change up and it holds the gear so I have to select D and then it changes up. But this works well enough for me and is better than being in M all the time.

rs4AAK
Neutral

Post by rs4AAK » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks Mike, that makes sense and seems it’s best of both worlds. I will give it a try

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Agree 100% with Mike on the approach, and the flick between D and S is really easy and becomes second nature. :jump_clap:

I do still use M though for engine braking (eg coming off m'way and approaching roundabout, or on long descents) and also for places where the car just doesn't have the info in advance, like the approach to a sharp bend where I know I want max torque/power out - if I'm already in S then that's the quickest way to force the down change and avoid the delay (and slight unpredictability) of kick-down. If I'm in D, then the flicking to S usually takes it down a gear or two anyway - but if I'm really hurrying I won't be in D!!
:FIREdevil:

bn8959
3rd Gear

Post by bn8959 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:10 pm

I always drive in S mode and just constantly override with the paddles to downshift in advance when I want. Just leave it to drop back to S mode when it wants.
2016 C7 RS6 - Panther Black
Previous:
2008 B7 RS4 Avant, Phantom Black

Iain
4th Gear

Post by Iain » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:58 am
I struggle to drive an auto in manual mode because I get too lazy and don't concentrate on gear changes like I would have to in a manual car so it pretty much stays in auto all the time.
However, I find the best driving mode for me is to have it in Dynamic and use the gear lever to toggle between D and S as required. Typically, as I approach a junction I pull the lever to select S. This give a lower gear for soke engine braking but also changes the throttle mapping to make it more responsive for a quick pull away should I need it. Once I've pulled off again I will pull the lever back again to change into D and stop it red lining unnecessarily. Unless of course I fancy a bit of red line action and leave it in S. Also, if I am getting ready for an overtaking move etc then I will pull the lever again to change into S mode. The throttle response in D is a little pants. I wish I could have the sharp throttle response permanently but without the red line gear change. Sometimes the gear changes work well in S and it changes up at the right time if you haven't got WOT but other times I want it to change up and it holds the gear so I have to select D and then it changes up. But this works well enough for me and is better than being in M all the time.
Exactly what I do, almost an automated reaction when I go from D to S
2018 Brabus G63 Widestar
2017 RS6 PE -Nardo, Air, HUD, Pan.....Millie Non Res
2015 RS6 - with Added Milltek
2015 RRS - utter sh1te
2010 X5 4.0D M Sport Every conceivable extra
2010 X5 4.0D M Sport
2009 R8 V10 Manual
2004 Lambo Gallarado Manual
3 x 997 C4S / C2s
2003 Fezza 360 Spider - Airfix kit build quality
2007 M3 - car number 2 in the UK
2006 RS4 Avant
2000 RS4 MTM Stage 3 - R55 BYE
2001 RS4 - R500 FOR
1990 Dimma Cosworth H20 COS
2003 996 DMS Turbo
multiple 205's Dimmas

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:49 am

Stunning looking car. Great choice.

I am only a month or so into RS6 ownership myself and have been playing around with driving modes, auto, paddles, D, S etc a lot and I have found myself pretty much just driving the call the entire time in S auto. I actually like the higher revs and better soundtrack in S and find driving the car in manual pretty uninspiring. In comparison to other performance cars I have owned I find gear changes on the paddles are not that quick but what I really hate are the paddles themselves. For such an awesome and well built car the crappy little pieces of small plastic that are the paddles are truly awful. They just don't inspire me to want to use them at all. Personally, I am very disappointed with the experience of driving the RS6 in manual on the paddles. I expected more.

Hey ho. But I do love the car. A lot.
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
67 plate RS6 Performance (fully loaded)
66 plate Range Rover Autobiography (for wafting around)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

Favourite car ever owned:
1971 Citroen DS21 - The Goddess (pure art on wheels)

rs4AAK
Neutral

Post by rs4AAK » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Thanks, I was driving a 2l diesel A4 for a year after selling my B5 so I’m loving being in something more responsive 😆
I have to agree that the gear change did seem to be a bit slow in manual and I kept finding myself hitting the Rev limited!

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 pm

MikeFish wrote:I struggle to drive an auto in manual mode because I get too lazy and don't concentrate on gear changes like I would have to in a manual car so it pretty much stays in auto all the time.
I do the exact same mate. Especially coming up to roundabouts and junctions, like you said ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sedge5
1st Gear

Post by Sedge5 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:46 am

MikeFish wrote:
I am with MikeFish on this. In addition, play with the individual mode to set the attributes you find enjoyable. Otherwise, like most contributors on here, engaging the 'S-mode' is kinda the lazy way to get the most out of the beast called 'RS6'.... Whatever option you go with, simply enjoy your motor. :beerchug:
RS6 C7 PE - current
S6 C7 Avant - too hesitant, not enough power
A6 C7, 2.0 TDI......aghhhhh
A3 , 2.0 BE, tdi, yeahhh...

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:12 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Mike I’ve had one of these fitted from about 1k miles and I’m now on 25k and it’s worked perfectly: DTUK Pedal Box (ignore the diesel word!):

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tu ... 93-ccm/#go

... there are so many settings it’s easy to get the exact throttle response you want. Transforms the response from the car in any mode exactly to your individual liking. Easy to fit and adjust if needed and works faultlessly. No affiliation at all, just a great bit of kit.

Steve

framerob
Neutral

Post by framerob » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:53 pm

zappy-chops wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:49 am
Stunning looking car. Great choice.

I am only a month or so into RS6 ownership myself and have been playing around with driving modes, auto, paddles, D, S etc a lot and I have found myself pretty much just driving the call the entire time in S auto. I actually like the higher revs and better soundtrack in S and find driving the car in manual pretty uninspiring. In comparison to other performance cars I have owned I find gear changes on the paddles are not that quick but what I really hate are the paddles themselves. For such an awesome and well built car the crappy little pieces of small plastic that are the paddles are truly awful. They just don't inspire me to want to use them at all. Personally, I am very disappointed with the experience of driving the RS6 in manual on the paddles. I expected more.

Hey ho. But I do love the car. A lot.
I find driving in D mode around 70mph on the motorway
then flooring it, it will fly off and drop from 8th to 4th gear.

But when driving between 30-50mph its best to pop into sport mode and take over the paddles
And drop to 3rd or 2nd gear.

As Manual sport mode is more aggressive and responsive than manual D mode..

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”