Stage 1 MRC remap, any other sensible mods to do?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Mr Footlong
Cruising

Stage 1 MRC remap, any other sensible mods to do?

Post by Mr Footlong » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Hi guys.

Love the C7 that we now have, not loving that she is slower than our old C5 though. I know she is down in power when compared directly, but I was somehow expecting the newer tech and gearbox to nullify that or possibly make her faster, even as stock. The aggressive kickdown etc and the fact that the back hunkers down when booting it from lower speeds certainly helps make her feel like she is faster, but I am absolutely confident that at anything above a 20mph rolling start, old Brutus will take her, roughly.

She is having a gearbox service today, the centre resonators are being whipped off and the non-res pipes going in to complete the Milltek. She is at MRC on 05/12/18 for a stage 1 remap.

I asked the guys there if there was anything else that was sensible/worth adding while up there, that wasn't silly money? Nothing sprung to mind for them. Not prepared to chuck 7k at her right now for a stage 2 after just parting with £43k for her last weekend.

I have £900, up to say £1400 floating around that I could chuck at her, if there was anything else worth doing by MRC at the same time that would realistically benefit her? Otherwise, any other particular (non-performance) mods?

Yes, I say she/her a lot.....

I am new to the C7, so apologies if this is particularly n00bish, cheers ;).

She looks like this currently, already booked in for the usual lightest window tints on the front to sort that out -
IMG_20181112_153940.jpg
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

Daveperc
Cruising

Re: Stage 1 MRC remap, any other sensible mods to do?

Post by Daveperc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Welcome aboard - I'll keep my eye out for you on the 331.

I presume MRC are including the high pressure fuel pumps in the Stage 1 - I think they insist now don't they?? If not I'd get them too as there have been a few speculations on here about poor injector spray patterns leading to engine failure :shock:

I plan to get mine done in the spring - need to complete the Audi warranty period first.

Dave

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Where do you get the 7k for a stage 2 from?
The cost of remap is not a great deal more (if you pay for a stage 2 instead of a stage 1).
Pretty sure I saw the cat less milltek downpipes for £800 from LK Performance on ebay. Then add the cost of an air filter and you are there. I know MRC like to include spark plugs too but you could do these later. But even still don't they only add another £600 or so. Not cheap but certainly not 7k unless I've missed something.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:38 pm

MRC only quote for Stage 2 anyway for these beasts - ie a tune specific to your vehicle (whatever the mods on it).

Dave

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:48 pm

stage 1 circa 1k
stage 2 circa 4k
Cheers,
Stevie F
2016 C7.5 RS6 Performance

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 pm

uplandsway wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:48 pm
stage 1 circa 1k
stage 2 circa 4k
Depends what you are including in that price. I assume you have not included any cost for any exhaust in the stage 1 price but included a turbo back system in the stage 2? He already has the cost of a cat back and the cost of a stage 1 so the difference between the 2 for him right now is really the cost of the downpipes.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Other things;
Lowering springs then an alignment made a huge difference to the handling for me.

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Apologies guys and thanks. The £6-7k was quoted by MRC before I got the exact car that I did. I remembered the price, didn't remember the mention about the exhaust, sorry....

"Moving on, stage 2 would involve a full exhaust, race spark plugs, high pressure fuel pumps etc. This would see 740ps+ but would be nearer £6-7k."

RD (the guys doing the gearbox service and resonator delete) told me today that the secondary cats were already removed from the car when the Milltek was fitted. Without knowing what the OE system looks like underneath or mine yet, I can't say for certain.

Not getting rid of the primary cats, too much ballache come MOT time.

Dave, regarding only quoting for stage 2, not the option that was given to me. I was given a Stage 1 option afaic (aka basic map and air filter)first, at a smidge under £1100, but can't complain for what I reckon is the best map around.

I don't have the money spare currently for Sports cats, no matter how much I would want to add them. Sounds like I need a price from MRC that includes a bespoke map, air filters, race plugs and the uprated fuel pumps.

I don't think lowering her is on the cards, but cheers. Funnily enough, I had my usual guy do a full alignment on her on Monday. Only out slightly all around according to him, but I swear it is not as good as it was. May well give another outfit a crack at aligning her and go from there.
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:47 pm

The car doesn't have secondary cats as far as I know. He probably means the front resonators that look like cats and many people still think they are cats. They can normally be seen under the car and in front of the centre resonator (which is a single box for both branches of the exhaust).

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 pm

If you are not going catless then yes it will have to be Sports cats. But to be honest, the cost versus the gains are minimal; to get the full effect of the stage 2 you need to go catless, sports cats will give you a bit more power than OEM cats but they are very expensive.
Sounds like the stage 1 map is the same as the stage 2 map but just with less gains due to still having the cats.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 pm

From the MRC site on mapping http://www.mrctuning.com/index.php/remapping/...

Stage 1 MRC developed generic tune for all standard cars
Stage 2 MRC developed custom tune for a specific specification of mods.
Stage 3 MRC realtime or specific tune for modifications (larger turbos,injectors or supercharger)

RS6/RS7 C7 4.0T Stage 1N/A Stage 2 £1000 +120ps/250nm

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:22 am

Ok, we are nitpicking here, but based on me looking initially at a totally stock C7 I was told as per the above that I posted from them. As a generalisation, certainly to me over the years, a stage 1 remap is for cars that are possibly stock, or have had mild "upgrades", such as air filters or exhaust system. To me at least, without fuel pump upgrades etc, that would very make mine a stage 1 remap, anyhoo.

I am glad you actually found mention of the C7 somewhere on their site Dave, I asked them if their web developer had died.

/Edit, Christ, typos much?
Last edited by Mr Footlong on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current:

Gone:

gsc
2nd Gear

Post by gsc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 am

Mr Footlong wrote:Ok, we are nitpicking here, but based on me looking initially at a totally stock C7 i was told as per the above that I posted from them. As a generalisation, certainly to me over the years, a stage 1 remap is for cars that are possibly stock, or have had mild "upgrades", such as airfilters or exhaust system. To me at least, without fuel pump upvrades etc, that would very make mine a stage 1 remap, anyhoo.

I am glad you actually found mention of the C7 somewhere on there site Dave, I asked them if their web developer had died.
Firstly, good choice in car!

As for what else, it’s all subjective. I am however curious as to why MRC have not recommended their carbon fibre air inlet pipes and the inference during development is these would benefit both stage 1 and stage 2 cars in allowing greater airflow.

I have a stage 1 tune and had deleted the resonators (what some like Mike said think are secondary cats but are not) and the central muffler and had some spare cash like you, so I got a set of used APR Downpipes for around £1k. Cheaper than a cat back, better noise for me than the cat backs I’d heard and possibly more power (haven’t dyno’ed the car to find out, did it for the noise).

Haven’t gone for the stage 2 software only because that means money for the software, fuel pumps but mostly because my current insurance won’t sanction it. But if that changes then I could do so for a a few more £’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:36 am

Daveperc wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:27 pm
I presume MRC are including the high pressure fuel pumps in the Stage 1 - I think they insist now don't they?? If not I'd get them too as there have been a few speculations on here about poor injector spray patterns leading to engine failure :shock:
I am really struggling to get them to do the pumps, they haven't given me a price yet although I have requested them and are talking about just doing race plugs. I have said that I want the uprated pumps regardless, waiting to see what they say. I do love MRC, but do sometimes find that what seems like fairly basic/sensible questions by me and wanting to spend more money with them, seems like a ballache at that end :(
Current:

Gone:

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Gsc, no mention of induction etc. but they have come back regarding the uprated fuel pumps and I have had them added to the list.

Will see how she is when she rolls out of there and then if I think it is worth it, I will stick Milly cats on "down the road" so she is the same as beast.
Current:

Gone:

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”