Stage 1 MRC remap, any other sensible mods to do?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Mr Footlong
Cruising

Re: Stage 1 MRC remap, any other sensible mods to do?

Post by Mr Footlong » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:50 pm

From the email I got from Sarah at MRC -

1. Stage 2 tune at 745ps 1095nm
2. Lower stage 2 at 704ps and 1019nm
3. And stock at 575ps and 797nm

I believe 2 is the less stressful stage 2 option that I will be able to switch to if max attack isn't needed
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Awesome! Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers :thumbs:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Mr Footlong wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:50 pm
From the email I got from Sarah at MRC -

1. Stage 2 tune at 745ps 1095nm
2. Lower stage 2 at 704ps and 1019nm
3. And stock at 575ps and 797nm

I believe 2 is the less stressful stage 2 option that I will be able to switch to if max attack isn't needed
Aha that makes sense, they were testing the 3 stages one after the other. Forget it was a switchable map.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:24 am

He picks its up tomorrow he said. Pay attention Perc.
Nah - with that much power he'll easily travel backwards through time! I reckon he was already home before he posted it!! :oops: :lol:

Interested to know how switching between maps is effected - fob or similar?? Or can you set it up so that you are in max mode for sport, and lower for Drive mode??

Dave

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Just got back and have dropped the car off for the new winter tyres to be fitted.

Didn't get to do a massive amount of thrashing coming back, but when I did and you are in the right gear, it is pretty damn brutal. Absolutely perfect manners for driving normally. I am probably imagining it, but the loud pedal seems a tad Jekyl and Hyde, as in it is pretty sedate/nippy when light on the pedal, but when you push down towards the end of the throw, combined with it dropping a cog or 3, it goes pretty mad.

Doug did his best to dial out the torque steer, but it is worse than ever when in "punch it chewie" mode from say 30, due to the extra power, not Doug's fair touch, just to be clear. Two other outfits had a crack at the alignment before MRC and I already had my suspicions that it is related to my air suspension and how heavily the back end hunkers down when booting it, it really unsettles the front, to the pont where I thought I was going to go in th the central reservation when I did full beans boot her when almost home. Doug is on the same page as me with this one, need to figure out what to do to sort out the rear drop slop on full beans......

With the valves open and the sports cats, the noise level has been cranked up to absolutely comical levels outside! The cabin shields a lot of it, which is good. I think I may now finally have a louder car than my old STI2, that was a 3" Blitz Nur Spec R system, no cats and debunged, that was something else.

Dave, regarding the map switching, it is surprisingly simple and elegant, you cannot do it on the fly, but it does remember the last mode selected. I can't tell you how on here for a key security reason (extra feature they programmed in), ask Doug or when I get the car back later and have the receipt in front me, I will scan it to you as the instructions are on there. Read, print for clarification if needed and then delete, it isn't to be made public knowledge by request of the boys. And when you see the way they did it in the flesh, it is bloody ingeneous and amazing that the car has the capacity for the extra programming built in tbh.
Last edited by Mr Footlong on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:

"Brutus"- C5 RS6 Avant - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats - Wagner ICs - PSS9 - H&R ARBs - OZ Superturismo LM - C6 Custom brakes - HD RNS-E - Various other bits - 555PS/832Nm

Gone:
"Taz"- C7 RS6 - MRC stage 2 - Milltek non-res + 100 cell cats, uprated fuel pumps, race plugs, 745PS/1095Nm
12' Cayenne Turbo, B7 RS4, S3, Cupra R, XJR, EVO VII, STI8,5,2&WRX, 106 GTI&XSI, other crap.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Glad you got it home safe!! Sounds epic. :notworthy: :notworthy: :jump_clap: :jump_clap:

My plan is to do much the same, minus the exhaust upgrade, though I am intrigued as to how much of the 45BHP extra over what most seem to achieve comes from the exhaust mods?

The torque steer is a worry! When I chatted to Stuart a couple of weeks back he confirmed that it is very dependent on the geometry set up, though not as bad as the Q7 apparently. Mine is now pretty negligible following alignment but then I'm not running the power yet plus I'm on DRC, and Mich PS4S. Mike has his lowered - I wonder if that would help?

And yes please to the PM when you have time. No rush - I shan't get mine done till the spring - no point in killing it on winter roads.

Must drop round and see you - maybe after Christmas :beerchug:

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Daveperc wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:37 pm
Glad you got it home safe!! Sounds epic. :notworthy: :notworthy: :jump_clap: :jump_clap:

My plan is to do much the same, minus the exhaust upgrade, though I am intrigued as to how much of the 45BHP extra over what most seem to achieve comes from the exhaust mods?
The exhaust noise is shockingly different to anything remotely OE imo, time will tell if the novelty wears off, but having the valving is a lifesaver for when you don't want to to be going everywhere sounding like an angry spinning Taz from Looney Toons.

After initially seeing the OE cat schematic when MRC sent it through to me and then my actual OE cats in the flesh, it did look to me like the OE setup is horribly restrictive. I took a shot of my OE cats below, doesn't really show just how much the pipework had been hammered fairly flat in various locations to pass around the bulkhead, along with the fairly aggressive flow bends. Spot the difference -

IMG_20181208_173251.png
Milltek's take on it -
SSXAU554_1.jpg
Current:

Gone:

GlynRS2
4th Gear

Post by GlynRS2 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 am

Is there a 1 week on update?
  • power delivery
  • exhaust noise: mad max & cruising comfort
  • fuel economy :drink:
Glyn
Navarra Blue RS6 Vorsprung (C8)
Sepang Blue RS6 Performance (C7) - sold
Sepang Blue S5 sportback (B8.5)- sold
Monza Silver RS6 (C6) - sold
Sprint Blue RS4 (B7) - sold
Polar Silver RS2 (B4) - sold

Anth
3rd Gear

Post by Anth » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:36 pm

GlynRS2 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 am
Is there a 1 week on update?
  • power delivery
  • exhaust noise: mad max & cruising comfort
  • fuel economy :drink:
Hi Footlong ,

Yep I'll bump this very intrested to hear your thoughts, also to add to Glyn, boost at feed in throttle response is it giving you a lot more than stock? It's all gone quiet you've not snapped the diff have you ! :shock:
2017 C7 RS6 PE Nardo
2014 911 991 C4S PDK White
2013 M6 Cab Blk
2012 911 997 MK2 PDK Silver
2007 RS4 Cab Grey

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 pm

The car is absolutely fine guys. I don't do the launch controls, never will as i don't like the stress it puts on things and god knows how many times previous owners did it.

As the car was primarily for woman, I hardly drove the car before handing her to MRC so it is a bit hard to compare before & after really for me at least. I am only driving her one a week or twice at a push, apart from a drive to Torquay and back in the monsoon rain last weekend, that was hilarious and terrifying at times....

The torque steer/lighness at the front when booting is still utterly ridiculous, to the point that I wish she had functional canards, but she certainly isn't slow. I don't think I have gone over 150 or so yet in her. She has perfect manners for cruising and as the gearbox isn't remapped, I find that it drives in a very similar way to stock (the joys of having switchable mapping) but she is just more urgent when you want her to be if that makes sense? Sick as a dog so possibly talking even more rubbish than usual... As the plots show, there isn't a night and day difference to how the hp/torque delivers, they have just been smoothed out beautifully as the power has been increased.

Fuel economy, shut up, just shut up :D.

For longer journeys, the system is a little boomy with valves closed, but not massively. If you live on the Motorway then I can't recommend or advise against it really as utterly subjective, but stock will obviously be a lot quieter imo. In dynamic, it is one of the loudest and angriest cars I have ever, ever heard and that is no mean feat. When you are in the mood for angry driving, or for people to all turn there heads, or for tunnels, it is utterly hilarious.

If you have seen the OE cats in the flesh, then you will appreciate how potentially restrictive/unfriendly to smooth flow they are compared the with relocated cata on the Milltek system, I can't help but feel that this has helped a surprising amount with the power, along with heavily on the noise front. Bear in mind that the RR results were at 14c ambient I was told, so I have no idea how much she is kicking out at say sub-5c. Could be imagining it, but the system seems louder as it gets colder outside.
Current:

Gone:

Mr Footlong
Cruising

Post by Mr Footlong » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Current:

Gone:

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Nice figures Stretch (waaaay better than yours!). Glad you're happy with it.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Anth
3rd Gear

Post by Anth » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 am

Thanks Footlong, great your enjoying it when you do use it at least . I do find torque steer on mine is also present, you get use to it but under big acceleration you have to be on the ball !
2017 C7 RS6 PE Nardo
2014 911 991 C4S PDK White
2013 M6 Cab Blk
2012 911 997 MK2 PDK Silver
2007 RS4 Cab Grey

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Mr Footlong wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 pm
The car is absolutely fine guys. I don't do the launch controls, never will as i don't like the stress it puts on things and god knows how many times previous owners did it.

As the car was primarily for woman, I hardly drove the car before handing her to MRC so it is a bit hard to compare before & after really for me at least. I am only driving her one a week or twice at a push, apart from a drive to Torquay and back in the monsoon rain last weekend, that was hilarious and terrifying at times....

The torque steer/lighness at the front when booting is still utterly ridiculous, to the point that I wish she had functional canards, but she certainly isn't slow. I don't think I have gone over 150 or so yet in her. She has perfect manners for cruising and as the gearbox isn't remapped, I find that it drives in a very similar way to stock (the joys of having switchable mapping) but she is just more urgent when you want her to be if that makes sense? Sick as a dog so possibly talking even more rubbish than usual... As the plots show, there isn't a night and day difference to how the hp/torque delivers, they have just been smoothed out beautifully as the power has been increased.

For longer journeys, the system is a little boomy with valves closed, but not massively. If you live on the Motorway then I can't recommend or advise against it really as utterly subjective, but stock will obviously be a lot quieter imo. In dynamic, it is one of the loudest and angriest cars I have ever, ever heard and that is no mean feat. When you are in the mood for angry driving, or for people to all turn there heads, or for tunnels, it is utterly hilarious.

If you have seen the OE cats in the flesh, then you will appreciate how potentially restrictive/unfriendly to smooth flow they are compared the with relocated cata on the Milltek system, I can't help but feel that this has helped a surprising amount with the power, along with heavily on the noise front. Bear in mind that the RR results were at 14c ambient I was told, so I have no idea how much she is kicking out at say sub-5c. Could be imagining it, but the system seems louder as it gets colder outside.
Hi

Which Downpipes did you end up using and which sports cats ?

Many thanks in advance
Cheers,
Stevie F
2016 C7.5 RS6 Performance

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:13 pm

uplandsway wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:47 pm
Mr Footlong wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi

Which Downpipes did you end up using and which sports cats ?

Many thanks in advance
Milltek sports cats. Pictures a few posts up.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”