Help pricing a car i'd like to buy

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Re: Help pricing a car i'd like to buy

Post by zappy-chops » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:37 pm

batmanreturns wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:31 am
I'm looking at buying an RS6, not had one for a few years and now need to get one due to family commitments which means the M5 is just not practical!
The one i'm looking at is a 2016 (June) car, it was very highly spec'd from new with a retail price of £116k ie dull carbon pack, performance edition, dynamic pack plus with ceramics, alcantara headlining pano roof, exclusive paint, night vision etc etc. The owner then spent 5k on PPF for the entire car and another 8k on a Akrapovic exhaust. The issue is that it's a high spec but it's done big miles ie 33k in 2 years which makes it hard to price.
It's for sale at 71,995 which i think he's having a laugh at. The issue is that he's not prepared to budge much and in my mind thats a 60k car (tops!) but i wanted to see if i'm wrong and he's right or if you guys think it's perhaps worth less than my estimate? Webuynaycar offer 49k for it, most Audi dealers seem to suggest a retail price between 55-60k.
Help on pricing appreciated!
thanks
Personally, I think this car is priced ok at £72k. Now I don't have an RS6 but I am in the process of buying one and have been looking for months for the right car/spec. I have however bought way too many ridiculously priced flying machines over the years.

I spotted the car in question as soon as it came up for sale and seriously considered buying it myself but I tend to buy cars around a year old and with less than 10k miles in general so decided to let it pass. It's definitely Mr JWW's car so you know it has been looked after. No one spends £5k on PPF (and proper PPF, professionally fitted) and doesn't baby their car. It's the best spec'd RS6 PE for sale at the moment for sure.

Let me put it another way, we can all be guilty of wanting £gazillions when we are selling a car but only want to pay £2.50 when we are buying - and those maths simply don't add up. The car you are looking at cost £117k new (rounded up) and ignoring the PPF and exhaust (even though the exhaust definitely does add value to the car as you can simply take it off and sell it if you want to), let's do some sums.

I don't know when it was first registered but for simple maths lets assume it was mid-2016, so let's assume the car is 30 months old. The figures read as follows:

Cost - £117k
Sale price after 30 months - £72k
Depreciation - £45k
Depreciation % - 38%
Depreciation per month - £1,500

Pretty sobering reading. And if people really do believe that at £72k it is over priced then these numbers tumble further. And if they tumble further then you have all bought dogs and should dump your RS6 asap (selling for £2.50 of course) and buy a Land Rover Defender (as one of the very few readily available cars / tanks that are holding / appreciating in value). And if you feel the numbers only read this way because Mr JWW got carried away on the options and should never have ticked so many boxes then fair enough, but then if everyone thought that way there would never be great-spec cars on the second hand market for you to try to buy for £2.50 - so that circle never squares (if you get my drift). We should all want good spec cars to be worth a bit more. It's in everyone's interest really.

Just my thoughts. Don't hate me. :bigwave:
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
67 plate RS6 Performance (fully loaded)
66 plate Range Rover Autobiography (for wafting around)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

Favourite car ever owned:
1971 Citroen DS21 - The Goddess (pure art on wheels)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 am

But... He didn't pay £117k. Discounts were easily being given at 16% so more likely he paid 98k. And given his "celebrity" status he probably got even more of a discount to promote the car (like how did he even get a UK audi dealer to sell him an Akra and fit it? Most of us would have been sent off empty handed).
my car listed at £94k and I paid £79k. So although my car wasn't as well specced as his, it was brand new and built to my spec, and just 7k more than he is asking for that with 30 something thousand miles on the clock and a year or so old. But I'm sure someone will pay for it as you can't buy them new any more and the new version doesn't look to be coming any time soon.

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:24 am

MikeFish wrote:But... He didn't pay £117k. Discounts were easily being given at 16% so more likely he paid 98k.
Fair point sir. I was of course going on the stated numbers. But that’s all academic now as you can’t go get a new car at a stonking discount

Has that been a common experience for folks on here who bought their RS6 brand new - 15% -ish discount on the build / OTR price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:43 pm

batmanreturns wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:31 am
I'm looking at buying an RS6, not had one for a few years and now need to get one due to family commitments which means the M5 is just not practical!
The one i'm looking at is a 2016 (June) car, it was very highly spec'd from new with a retail price of £116k ie dull carbon pack, performance edition, dynamic pack plus with ceramics, alcantara headlining pano roof, exclusive paint, night vision etc etc. The owner then spent 5k on PPF for the entire car and another 8k on a Akrapovic exhaust. The issue is that it's a high spec but it's done big miles ie 33k in 2 years which makes it hard to price.
It's for sale at 71,995 which i think he's having a laugh at. The issue is that he's not prepared to budge much and in my mind thats a 60k car (tops!) but i wanted to see if i'm wrong and he's right or if you guys think it's perhaps worth less than my estimate? Webuynaycar offer 49k for it, most Audi dealers seem to suggest a retail price between 55-60k.
Help on pricing appreciated!
thanks
Hi batmanreturns. Did you you spot this one that turned up on Autotrader yesterday I think. Not a PE, but amazing spec and even better than the JWW car if you are not bothered about PE and want the B&O advanced stereo. And it has less than half the miles. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... romSA=true
Currently running:

Lewy
2nd Gear

Help pricing a car i'd like to buy

Post by Lewy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Zappy, I secured a discount of 14% on my new car order back in 2015.

The 65 plate car you’ve linked is way too expensive to IMHO.

My 15 plate with 10k miles sold for £68k back in 2016!

Cheers
Lewy

Last edited by Lewy on Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Lewy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:51 pm
Zappy, I secured a discount of 14% on my new car order back in 2015.

Cheers
Lewy

Cheers Lewy. Much appreciated (and well done - great discount).
Currently running:

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:27 pm

10% plus was commonplace from approx a year after launch. And there was a contribution from Audi if you took finance, 4K IIRC.

If you paid list you were mugged.

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:31 pm

doodlebug wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:27 pm

If you paid list you were mugged.
Cheers doodlebug. I'm sure you were also mugged if you took Audi finance. :bigblink:
Currently running:

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm

The finance was cheap.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 am

Yes RS6 finance was much cheaper than rs3 finance too.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:14 am

I got 16% discount on a Performance RS6 on the week of launch. Half the people I spoke to didn't even know what it was. And there were no GFVs for it, they had to base it on a standard 6s value until the car was delivered 8 weeks later and they had a bit better data.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”