Is the C7 RS6 just too big?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Is the C7 RS6 just too big?

Post by MikeFish » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:31 pm

bn8959 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:30 pm
And make sure lane assist is off ;)
Yes, this too!

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:50 pm

I’ve only had mine a short time and have been on a few spirited runs and the cars been impeccable as far as I see it, my cars a PE with dynamic pack running spacers F12 R15, on Contis and Revolution sorted wheel alignment out when it was in for spacers...

It’s a big unit but if you give it that little bit more concentration on the B Roads and alike it’s rewarding

On the parking and manoeuvrability you just need to pick your spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Stevie F
2016 C7.5 RS6 Performance

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:35 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:21 pm
I'd suggest trying the latest RS4, now its gone turbocharged the performance loss is not so great.
Exactly what I did after 36000 miles in a C7 RS6. Nearly 200kg lighter, smaller and nimbler. I live in the sticks and it has proved a much more useable car. It is less aggressive looking though if that is important to you. I like the understated looks as I use it as a daily (mine is de-badged too).

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 am

Yossarian wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am
Been driving my 2017 RS6 PE for 15 months now and 21k miles, mainly motorway, and love the style (Cete air module, spacers, black optics etc), its presence, the comfort when you just want to cruise home, the attention it receives... but I am starting to feel it's just too big to be a great fast road car in the UK. Am I alone in this?

When I get on a good A or B road (about 30% of my driving) and want to go paddles and use the power, I just can't seem to hustle it like I have past cars (M3 CSL; Porsche 997; AMV8; Mini GP2... even a mapped Golf R) because im either forced over into the verge by oncoming vehicles or its difficult to place the car exactly where I want her on entering a fast bend. Even though I love this car I find myself starting to look at smaller fast cars now, RS3, RS4, C63; Alfa Quadrif-thingy etc.. just to be able to use the power and handling and basically to enjoy the driving experience. Having lusted after the C7 for several years, and on paper it still is a great car for my lifestyle and the journeys I do, I can't get over it may be just too big and heavy to have genuine fun in. I have a BBR MX-5 tuned to 210bhp which is incredible on B-roads but I'm not in it all the time and having tried the multi-car garage several times, it just frustrates the life out of me when I want to do something specific and find myself in the wrong car at that time... I really believed the 6er would be the car for me, but I find myself hankering after something more dynamic... yet i'm terrified of swapping out of what is a beautifully aggressive and powerful wagon into something... errrr... less... there is no car that looks as aggressive as a lowered, spaced C7 RS6 in my eyes.

Anyone else have these thoughts after running the C7 for a while?

Cheers, Steve
Agreed as nothing/s faster than a mapped Golf R, that's a fact & from personal experience :bigblink: :bigblink:

On a more serious note though, i totally get what you mean & applies to other cars. I went from a rather rapid Stage 2 F10 M5 to an A8/Golf R Estate combo & the Golf's that good i've ditched the A8 & actually look forward to driving the Golf more so than many other cars i've owned. Simple reason being it does everything so well & nothing phases it. The Golf can stick with most cars on the road & track, all from a 2L 4 pot that can return 40+mpg when i 'just' need to drive to work.
Paul
03 Black AmD Stage3 C5 RS6 Saloon (Sold)
05 Blue DMS E60 M5 (Sold)
07 Blue DMS B7 RS4 Saloon (Sold)
10 White Nissan R35 GT-R Premium Edition SVM Stage 4 (Sold)
12 White D4 A8 TDi SE Executive (Sold)
14 Grey LCi F10 M5 (Rejected)
14 Blue DMS Stage 2 LCi F10 M5 (Sold)
17 Grey FFRR Autobiography (Rejected)
17 Black D4 A8 TDi Black Edition (Sold)
18 White APR Stage 2 Golf R 7.5 Estate

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 am

she came on Dunlops Mike, rubbish as we all know, swapped to MPSP and that did improve handling, then had two punctures on potholes and couldn't get MPSP as was in deep Devon at the time, so had to have Conti's. As soon as Conti's wear i'll go back to MPSP unless I can get 4S' by then.

Off topic, but is there a 21" winter/all season tyre available does anyone know?

rtd
Cruising

Post by rtd » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 am

Yossarian wrote:she came on Dunlops Mike, rubbish as we all know, swapped to MPSP and that did improve handling, then had two punctures on potholes and couldn't get MPSP as was in deep Devon at the time, so had to have Conti's. As soon as Conti's wear i'll go back to MPSP unless I can get 4S' by then.

Off topic, but is there a 21" winter/all season tyre available does anyone know?
The official winter wheel from Audi is a 20” jobbie wearing 245/40 R20 - sorry could only find a pic of one which I was cleaning
IMG_4752.jpg

Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:45 am

W8PMC wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 am
Yossarian wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am
Been driving my 2017 RS6 PE for 15 months now and 21k miles, mainly motorway, and love the style (Cete air module, spacers, black optics etc), its presence, the comfort when you just want to cruise home, the attention it receives... but I am starting to feel it's just too big to be a great fast road car in the UK. Am I alone in this?

When I get on a good A or B road (about 30% of my driving) and want to go paddles and use the power, I just can't seem to hustle it like I have past cars (M3 CSL; Porsche 997; AMV8; Mini GP2... even a mapped Golf R) because im either forced over into the verge by oncoming vehicles or its difficult to place the car exactly where I want her on entering a fast bend. Even though I love this car I find myself starting to look at smaller fast cars now, RS3, RS4, C63; Alfa Quadrif-thingy etc.. just to be able to use the power and handling and basically to enjoy the driving experience. Having lusted after the C7 for several years, and on paper it still is a great car for my lifestyle and the journeys I do, I can't get over it may be just too big and heavy to have genuine fun in. I have a BBR MX-5 tuned to 210bhp which is incredible on B-roads but I'm not in it all the time and having tried the multi-car garage several times, it just frustrates the life out of me when I want to do something specific and find myself in the wrong car at that time... I really believed the 6er would be the car for me, but I find myself hankering after something more dynamic... yet i'm terrified of swapping out of what is a beautifully aggressive and powerful wagon into something... errrr... less... there is no car that looks as aggressive as a lowered, spaced C7 RS6 in my eyes.

Anyone else have these thoughts after running the C7 for a while?

Cheers, Steve
Agreed as nothing/s faster than a mapped Golf R, that's a fact & from personal experience :bigblink: :bigblink:

On a more serious note though, i totally get what you mean & applies to other cars. I went from a rather rapid Stage 2 F10 M5 to an A8/Golf R Estate combo & the Golf's that good i've ditched the A8 & actually look forward to driving the Golf more so than many other cars i've owned. Simple reason being it does everything so well & nothing phases it. The Golf can stick with most cars on the road & track, all from a 2L 4 pot that can return 40+mpg when i 'just' need to drive to work.
I do have to agree with this about the Golf R. Bloody boring to look at and they are a bit common on the road now, but with a map, lowered and exhaust it was incredible... I couldn't sell it so my son has it now. On the same roads I am using the 6er on the Golf literally flew from start to end of that road because I could place it exactly where I needed it to constantly keep overtaking traffic. It's just so squirty and nicely fits in small gaps between traffic whilst you await the next gap to leave them behind too. I may have entered into RS6 ownership expecting the same experience but on steroids due to the 4L V8 but there is no way I can take the liberties with the 6er I could get away with in the Golf R, it needs much more planning ahead with the RS6. If they bring a Mk8 out with 400bhp standard and a more aggressive look to match the performance I'd be seriously tempted again. It's a strange driving experience from something that looks a bit 'normal' and from a 2L engine, but its brilliant no doubt.

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 am

rtd wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 am
Yossarian wrote:she came on Dunlops Mike, rubbish as we all know, swapped to MPSP and that did improve handling, then had two punctures on potholes and couldn't get MPSP as was in deep Devon at the time, so had to have Conti's. As soon as Conti's wear i'll go back to MPSP unless I can get 4S' by then.

The official winter wheel from Audi is a 20” jobbie wearing 245/40 R20 - sorry could only find a pic of one which I was cleaning IMG_4752.jpg

Oh, OK, so i'd have to get wheels and tyres...

rtd
Cruising

Post by rtd » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:52 am

I don’t know if you could get a winter tyre to fit your 21” wheel worth looking I suppose to avoid having two sets of wheels. But if you decide to buy a winter wheel then look on German eBay loads for sale.

Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:54 am

rtd wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:52 am
I don’t know if you could get a winter tyre to fit your 21” wheel worth looking I suppose to avoid having two sets of wheels. But if you decide to buy a winter wheel then look on German eBay loads for sale.

:thumbs: cheers.

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 am

Mines running the Contis which seem to have held up pretty well in damp slippy and wet conditions...

I’ve got Dunlop winters to be fitted in next two week

Will change to MPSS or alike when the time comes

Cheers,
Stevie F
2016 C7.5 RS6 Performance

Foxy
2nd Gear

Post by Foxy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:24 pm

It is a big car and there's no getting away from it, but I love the comfort and effortless cruising ability and sheer grunt when I want it. Funny that some think the new RS4 is understated, to my eye it's too shouty, whereas my RS6 is pretty much under the radar, which is how I like it.

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Loads of different opinions but I’ve just gone from my third RS6 down to an RS3. Looked at the 4 but don’t like the latest styling. Mainly down to a massive life change but will give the 3 a good go over the coming months and see how I feel with the much smaller car👍

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:11 am

skirs6 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm
Loads of different opinions but I’ve just gone from my third RS6 down to an RS3. Looked at the 4 but don’t like the latest styling. Mainly down to a massive life change but will give the 3 a good go over the coming months and see how I feel with the much smaller car👍
please post your findings, I will be really interested to hear how you feel this change has gone - Steve :thumbs:

GlynRS2
4th Gear

Post by GlynRS2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 pm

rtd wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:52 am
285/30 R21 winter tyres OE Audi
Glyn
Navarra Blue RS6 Vorsprung (C8)
Sepang Blue RS6 Performance (C7) - sold
Sepang Blue S5 sportback (B8.5)- sold
Monza Silver RS6 (C6) - sold
Sprint Blue RS4 (B7) - sold
Polar Silver RS2 (B4) - sold

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”