Is the C7 RS6 just too big?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Yossarian
1st Gear

Is the C7 RS6 just too big?

Post by Yossarian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am

Been driving my 2017 RS6 PE for 15 months now and 21k miles, mainly motorway, and love the style (Cete air module, spacers, black optics etc), its presence, the comfort when you just want to cruise home, the attention it receives... but I am starting to feel it's just too big to be a great fast road car in the UK. Am I alone in this?

When I get on a good A or B road (about 30% of my driving) and want to go paddles and use the power, I just can't seem to hustle it like I have past cars (M3 CSL; Porsche 997; AMV8; Mini GP2... even a mapped Golf R) because im either forced over into the verge by oncoming vehicles or its difficult to place the car exactly where I want her on entering a fast bend. Even though I love this car I find myself starting to look at smaller fast cars now, RS3, RS4, C63; Alfa Quadrif-thingy etc.. just to be able to use the power and handling and basically to enjoy the driving experience. Having lusted after the C7 for several years, and on paper it still is a great car for my lifestyle and the journeys I do, I can't get over it may be just too big and heavy to have genuine fun in. I have a BBR MX-5 tuned to 210bhp which is incredible on B-roads but I'm not in it all the time and having tried the multi-car garage several times, it just frustrates the life out of me when I want to do something specific and find myself in the wrong car at that time... I really believed the 6er would be the car for me, but I find myself hankering after something more dynamic... yet i'm terrified of swapping out of what is a beautifully aggressive and powerful wagon into something... errrr... less... there is no car that looks as aggressive as a lowered, spaced C7 RS6 in my eyes.

Anyone else have these thoughts after running the C7 for a while?

Cheers, Steve

Daveperc
Cruising

Re: Is the C7 RS6 just too big?

Post by Daveperc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am

Been running mine for six months now having migrated from a C5 beast.

I did notice the increased size at first, but have got pretty used to it now. My only real "complaint" is that I really notice the tendency of the car to pull when switching lanes to overtake, especially on narrow twisty roads. Reading around the forum it appears this is a geometry issue and I plan to get some of the castor dialled out of the back when I next have the alignment done, which will be once I have the new rubber on it shortly!

Having driven these beasts for the last 12 years I really can't think of a car I would rather have - it's just so good at mile-gobbling, yet is huge fun when the opportunity permits. And as I regularly throw loads of tools etc in the back, it's so convenient too - no need to ponder "what shall I take?", just open the boot and throw it all in!!

Dave :rocker:

rtd
Cruising

Post by rtd » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:20 am

Yossarian wrote:Been driving my 2017 RS6 PE for 15 months now and 21k miles, mainly motorway, and love the style (Cete air module, spacers, black optics etc), its presence, the comfort when you just want to cruise home, the attention it receives... but I am starting to feel it's just too big to be a great fast road car in the UK. Am I alone in this?

When I get on a good A or B road (about 30% of my driving) and want to go paddles and use the power, I just can't seem to hustle it like I have past cars (M3 CSL; Porsche 997; AMV8; Mini GP2... even a mapped Golf R) because im either forced over into the verge by oncoming vehicles or its difficult to place the car exactly where I want her on entering a fast bend. Even though I love this car I find myself starting to look at smaller fast cars now, RS3, RS4, C63; Alfa Quadrif-thingy etc.. just to be able to use the power and handling and basically to enjoy the driving experience. Having lusted after the C7 for several years, and on paper it still is a great car for my lifestyle and the journeys I do, I can't get over it may be just too big and heavy to have genuine fun in. I have a BBR MX-5 tuned to 210bhp which is incredible on B-roads but I'm not in it all the time and having tried the multi-car garage several times, it just frustrates the life out of me when I want to do something specific and find myself in the wrong car at that time... I really believed the 6er would be the car for me, but I find myself hankering after something more dynamic... yet i'm terrified of swapping out of what is a beautifully aggressive and powerful wagon into something... errrr... less... there is no car that looks as aggressive as a lowered, spaced C7 RS6 in my eyes.

Cheers, Steve
The other cars which you’ve listed are a fair bit lighter and smaller than the RS6 so don’t be to hard on the old girl! She makes the most with what she has at her disposal!

And if you do decide to sell let me know and I will have that CETE module of you ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:32 am

Daveperc wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am
Been running mine for six months now having migrated from a C5 beast.

I did notice the increased size at first, but have got pretty used to it now. My only real "complaint" is that I really notice the tendency of the car to pull when switching lanes to overtake, especially on narrow twisty roads. Reading around the forum it appears this is a geometry issue and I plan to get some of the castor dialled out of the back when I next have the alignment done, which will be once I have the new rubber on it shortly!

Having driven these beasts for the last 12 years I really can't think of a car I would rather have - it's just so good at mile-gobbling, yet is huge fun when the opportunity permits. And as I regularly throw loads of tools etc in the back, it's so convenient too - no need to ponder "what shall I take?", just open the boot and throw it all in!!

Dave :rocker:
Dave I've had the same issues on overtaking at speed and had geometry done by Centre of Gravity which improves it, but has not eliminated it altogether... much better though.

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:36 am

rtd wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:20 am
Yossarian wrote:Been driving my 2017 RS6 PE for 15 months now and 21k miles, mainly motorway, and love the style (Cete air module, spacers, black optics etc), its presence, the comfort when you just want to cruise home, the attention it receives... but I am starting to feel it's just too big to be a great fast road car in the UK. Am I alone in this?

Cheers, Steve
The other cars which you’ve listed are a fair bit lighter and smaller than the RS6 so don’t be to hard on the old girl! She makes the most with what she has at her disposal!

And if you do decide to sell let me know and I will have that CETE module of you ImageImage

this is the point... I really, really want to adore the RS6 as in so many ways it is the perfect car for me, it's just the size thing mainly. I have punctured two tyres and buckled wheels having to get right over on a b-road to avoid a passing truck or big SUV, which causes me to be more cautious on roads I don't know now and that's not what I want to be doing. This is by far the most powerful car I have ever run but I cannot access most of it unless on M-way and it's a serious license-loser on there lol.

Steve

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:21 pm

I'd suggest trying the latest RS4, now its gone turbocharged the performance loss is not so great.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:I'd suggest trying the latest RS4, now its gone turbocharged the performance loss is not so great.
Inclined to agree. It's taken a very long time for the engine to grow on me and there's some good exhaust mods coming now. Finally. It seems incredibly capable.

The B8 is my hero. Don't see me giving this up for many years. And actually, the RS6 PE is next on my list. Even though, in the back of my head, I 'know' this size issue is very real. But surely overall, as an experience, as an event, just looking at it and owning it, must cancel out a lot of that size? Probably not. But I'll still get one down the line haha. Then realise the B9 RS4 was the right call.

Anth
3rd Gear

Post by Anth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:32 pm

I took the B9 Rs4 out last month . Felt too small in the cockpit compared to the large C7 . Car felt great and really performs, where it lacks next to the C7 is that top end pulling power so the C7 would really start to show it up regards power after 80mph - but as said already it's really only on the A roads you get to chance your licence and do that ! I wouldn't have a 4 over a 6 personally with the lack of the top end pulling power . That and your upstaged by the 6 at the supermarket !
2017 C7 RS6 PE Nardo
2014 911 991 C4S PDK White
2013 M6 Cab Blk
2012 911 997 MK2 PDK Silver
2007 RS4 Cab Grey

Yossarian
1st Gear

Post by Yossarian » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:32 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:10 pm
Surrey Sam wrote:I'd suggest trying the latest RS4, now its gone turbocharged the performance loss is not so great.
Inclined to agree. It's taken a very long time for the engine to grow on me and there's some good exhaust mods coming now. Finally. It seems incredibly capable.

The B8 is my hero. Don't see me giving this up for many years. And actually, the RS6 PE is next on my list. Even though, in the back of my head, I 'know' this size issue is very real. But surely overall, as an experience, as an event, just looking at it and owning it, must cancel out a lot of that size? Probably not. But I'll still get one down the line haha. Then realise the B9 RS4 was the right call.

It does. The sheer presence of the RS6 is incredible, you just cannot park this car and not look back, several times, in disbelief it looks that good and that aggressive. I suppose I am talking about perfection from a single car and we all know that's not possible... yet. I do love the RS6 and know I would be devastated the first time I clapped eyes on one after selling it. I'll be sticking with her for a while yet... though I might try the B9 RS4 and just see :thumbs:

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Thundercliffe81 wrote:

It does. The sheer presence of the RS6 is incredible, you just cannot park this car and not look back, several times, in disbelief it looks that good and that aggressive. I suppose I am talking about perfection from a single car and we all know that's not possible... yet. I do love the RS6 and know I would be devastated the first time I clapped eyes on one after selling it. I'll be sticking with her for a while yet... though I might try the B9 RS4 and just see :thumbs:
Yeah. It's primarily designed for Germany. That's the problem. You ain't going to lose your license there. And roads are in better nick than ours. RS4 B9 just needs a bit more drama. I'd argue that it suits the perfect car for all situations over the RS6.

But I'd still prefer the 6. Haha. I'll need to get that out of my system one day. V8 to V6...oooft. Not yet.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:38 pm

You can’t park it full stop, part of the problem it’s so fecking long. Multi story a non-starter.

It was the best RS I’ve owned but I don’t miss it.

PSB1
4th Gear

Post by PSB1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:37 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Thundercliffe81 wrote:

Yeah. It's primarily designed for Germany. That's the problem. You ain't going to lose your license there. And roads are in better nick than ours. RS4 B9 just needs a bit more drama. I'd argue that it suits the perfect car for all situations over the RS6.

But I'd still prefer the 6. Haha. I'll need to get that out of my system one day. V8 to V6...oooft. Not yet.

But then, feck it - just buy a B8. <beep> interior build quality and all.
Current 2017 991.2 GT3 - Manual, 918 Buckets / CS pack, Guards, the dog's.
Gone 2016 991.1 GTS PTS Voodoo Blue - best car to date, 2015 911.1 GTS, Carmine, PDK, interior pack, stunning, 2016 Carmine Cayman GTS, PDK + toys, 2015 RS5 Cab, 2012 Discovery 4 family wagon, 2014 Golf R, 2015 Cayman GTS, 2014 RS4, Sepang with most of the toys, SQ5, S4, S5, A5, A6.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm

doodlebug wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:38 pm
You can’t park it full stop, part of the problem it’s so fecking long. Multi story a non-starter.

It was the best RS I’ve owned but I don’t miss it.
I don't have issues with parking it. I guess it depends on where you lived. In London parking street side will be a nightmare as it's long and spaces are rare. Most of my parking is in car park so not a big issue. Yes it's wider so more prone to door jobs, and it might stick out a bit but so do all those great big 4x4 / SUVs. I park in a multi storey almost every day but yes some of them make it very difficult to get in and out without kerbing a wheel.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:51 am
Been driving my 2017 RS6 PE for 15 months now and 21k miles, mainly motorway, and love the style (Cete air module, spacers, black optics etc), its presence, the comfort when you just want to cruise home, the attention it receives... but I am starting to feel it's just too big to be a great fast road car in the UK. Am I alone in this?

Cheers, Steve
Lowering and getting the alignment done made a big difference for me and made it feel much lighter through the bends. But I think you said you tried that already.
What tyres do you have? Have you tried different brands? Others have said the changing lane issue lessened with a change of tyres.

bn8959
3rd Gear

Post by bn8959 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:30 pm

And make sure lane assist is off ;)
2016 C7 RS6 - Panther Black
Previous:
2008 B7 RS4 Avant, Phantom Black

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”