Yet another (potential) new owner with random questions!

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
mrmerle
Neutral

Yet another (potential) new owner with random questions!

Post by mrmerle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi,

I’m close to agreeing a deal on a well specced PE from a main dealer, my last five cars have all been BMW / M’s and this will be my first Audi, I have a few seemingly random questions as I can’t find anything like a user manual on-line;

The car I’m looking at has the Dynamic Pack specced, I’ve read many opinions on the pros and cons of this, the main issue I have with my current BMW (340i without adaptive suspension) is the utterly numb steering feel and crashy ride (although RFT’s are the main contributor to this) In the brief test drive I explicitly asked for a cross country route as much of my commute is on B roads, the suspension seemed supple enough in comfort, the steering still felt a bit detached and woolly, even in dynamic mode when I had a brief blat along a stretch of well laid motorway. My comparison point is an E61 M5, of which I owned for the best part of 8 years.

The car will be my daily work commute / dog taxi, I’m struggling to find a decent rear bumper guard to protect the paintwork from enthusiastic dog paws (they’ll be the fastest Border Collies in the west!) Does anyone know if an A6/S6 compatible bumper guard will also fit an RS bumper (on SE / M sport BMW’s the shape is opening is slightly different between the two model types) I’ve not been able to find an Audi product yet, this is the best I’ve seen so far;

https://www.directcarparts.co.uk/car-ac ... 2018-p4476

The car doesn’t have a reversing camera, I’ve got a pretty tight underground car park at work so would feel more comfortable getting one retro-fitted, I’ve been quoted £800 by a third party to have one fitted and coded (all official Audi parts and integration with the MMI control unit) Seems a bit steep to me as dealer indicated a cost of around £500, realistic cost or just a case of RS tax?

In my current 3 series I’ve got a selection of music on a 32gb memory stick plugged into one of the USB ports, the RS6 I’m looking to buy has a couple of USB ports in the arm rest (assume this is standard?) can I simply do the same and just plug my memory stick in?

What is the purpose of the two SD card slots?

Thanks!

Markp
5th Gear

Re: Yet another (potential) new owner with random questions!

Post by Markp » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:29 pm

I loved the DRC on mine ( once they fixed the knock). Great ride on very poor B roads around here

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 pm

The SD cards can have music / videos on them just like you would have on a USB stick.
I use the 2 USB sockets to plug in 2 x 1tb hard drives that hold all my music. Then use the SD cards for quick updates when I have new music until I can be bothered to get the hard drives out and update them fully.
You can also use the SD cards to update sat nav map.

The USB ports are standard on the facelift cars (all PEs were facelift). Previously they had proprietary sockets so you had t ohave the right type of audi cable i.e. a ipod cable, or lightning cable or USB cable. Much better now as it is a USB socket so you can use your existing ipod cables etc.
Also, as it is facelift (or was this a MY2016 change?) it will play FLAC files for a much better quality than MP3.

None of the cars have great steering. Some find the non-Dynamic steering better.

RS4Kev
2nd Gear

Post by RS4Kev » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:12 pm

The DRC is great, i use mine in two modes. Comfort (or wife) mode and Dynamic when i want a blast. Just a point with the DRC, you can't fit a towbar just in case that's anywhere on the agenda.
Kev
84WR sold not forgotten
00 RS4 sold wished i hadn't
09 R32 sold
58 335i sold
10 X5 sold
59 fiat 500 wife's toy
67 RS6 performance

rtd
Cruising

Post by rtd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 pm

MikeFish wrote:The SD cards can have music / videos on them just like you would have on a USB stick.
I use the 2 USB sockets to plug in 2 x 1tb hard drives that hold all my music. Then use the SD cards for quick updates when I have new music until I can be bothered to get the hard drives out and update them fully.

The USB ports are standard on the facelift cars (all PEs were facelift). Previously they had proprietary sockets so you had t ohave the right type of audi cable i.e. a ipod cable, or lightning cable or USB cable. Much better now as it is a USB socket so you can use your existing ipod cables etc.
Also, as it is facelift (or was this a MY2016 change?) it will play FLAC files for a much better quality than MP3.

None of the cars have great steering. Some find the non-Dynamic steering better.
Not wishing to hijack the thread but can Audi do the updates for the map mike, my car is going in next week for a software update just before the manufacturers warranty expires. Supposedly it carries a fee under the extended warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

DaytonaMatt
1st Gear

Post by DaytonaMatt » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 pm

Re the bumper protector, I’m currently getting a quote for a clear protector thing. Sure it has a name, but the same as what will be across the rear wheel arches. Will let you know the price

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Paint protection film. I had the top of my bumper wrapped for about £20.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:37 pm

rtd wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 pm
MikeFish wrote:The SD cards can have music / videos on them just like you would have on a USB stick.

Not wishing to hijack the thread but can Audi do the updates for the map mike, my car is going in next week for a software update just before the manufacturers warranty expires. Supposedly it carries a fee under the extended warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know. Might be worth asking them. I tried to do it with the SD card but the program wouldn't download.

ab54666
2nd Gear

Post by ab54666 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:33 am

On maps, how do you decipher from the version number what maps you have? Is there a list somewhere?

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks to all for the input so far, one final question, I've always struck a hard bargain with BMW on second hand cars and on average have achieved at least £2,500 off all my M's in the past. This particular Audi garage is part of a larger group from which I've bought 3 BMW's before, however they are not willing to entertain any meaningful negotiation at the moment with the stock line that they don't do deals on RS products (this would essentially be a cash purchase, no dealer finance or PX involved)

Given the colour I have a suspicion that it'll be on the forecourt for a few weeks and i'll walk away if I don't strike a deal I'm happy with. Is it worth the effort of pushing the dealer harder, or, as I've done in the past play two dealers off each other to achieve the best price?

mrmerle
Neutral

Post by mrmerle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Followed my own advice, deal done, deposit left, hopefully collecting in the coming week.

They are actually quite common in my neck of the woods, next village over there are two 67 plate PE's that live literally directly across the road from one another, one in white, the other daytona. On the same stretch of road i also often see an Ascari blue on 20' rims, a Sepang blue on silver 21', a black with full chrome trim with a four digit private plate, another black car and a Nardo grey PE doing the school run.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:16 pm

RS's are not common in my neck of the woods full stop. Imagine my surprise when I turn up to nursery and another one turns up! Rained on my parade...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

johnny11
4th Gear

Post by johnny11 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Had mine now for 2 months and like you it’s the daily commute plus dog and kid taxi, we also got a Border collie who has the fastest ride to the woods. I never went for a wrap for bumper protection as got a hatchbag boot liner with the bumper flap that does the job for us.
Attachments
1A746E3C-6397-4002-AEBF-16C74E35A23A.jpeg

DaytonaMatt
1st Gear

Post by DaytonaMatt » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:05 pm

How well does that stick to the sides of the boot? Had something similar for my wife’s RRS but came with Velcro that didn’t stick to the boot nor the liner itself so kept falling in on itself

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Doesn't stick well. But there is a loop to attach to the hooks and a clip to attach to the seat back fixings so stays up pretty well.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”