Steering Wheel Upgrade

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
fozi.g
1st Gear

Steering Wheel Upgrade

Post by fozi.g » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Afternoon gents.

I just wanted to know if anyone has successfully swapped their steering wheel over for the new shape FL TTRS/R8/B9 style of steering wheel with the smaller airbag. I think it would uplift our interiors to make them more modern looking.

Thanks.

EmilA
2nd Gear

Re: Steering Wheel Upgrade

Post by EmilA » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:43 pm

That would be interesting. I know there are options out there to have a CF wheel with LED’s but quite pricy IMO

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:41 pm

It is possible :) BUT...
there are only a handfull of 'shops' that provide the needed parts to make it work (but communication and prices are bit cumbersom to say the least).
The main issue is the buttons on the wheels dont share the same LIN code/commands that are send to the cars CAN bus so the wheel doesn't response with the car.
There needs to be a custom module that translates these commands (every platform has a different code etc....).

Anyway, took me 3 years and several 'suppliers' to find someone that can make it work, finally some local friends/retrofitters managed to make their own chip that makes this possible and they actually received their first batch of testchips this week. Hoping to be able to install my steeringwheel (r8 gt multi button wheel with alcantara) very soon.
After that we still need to make a second 'bluetooth receiving relay' module for the additional buttons as the slipring doesn't allow extra wires to controle those.
So in case interested, please have some patience but it will be possible ;).
2 other friends of me got the R8 wheel in their cars aswell (but with limited controles), all i can say is it indeed give the car a very nice updated feel and look.

Anth
3rd Gear

Post by Anth » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Yes, I like where your going Fozi . Sterling wheel upgrade is always a nice addition, things to consider will be do the led options have a available plug in so it's fully functional I think a Alcantara option for the 1/2 & 1/2 perfomance addition has got to be done !

Old post here
viewtopic.php?t=119256

Worth a look ;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rrrr4frldsw

Rs7 with Working R8 wheel ;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qa-yr8eTsg
2017 C7 RS6 PE Nardo
2014 911 991 C4S PDK White
2013 M6 Cab Blk
2012 911 997 MK2 PDK Silver
2007 RS4 Cab Grey

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Last edited by dasquade on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm

...finally some worthfull updates :)...
The guys finally had succes getting their custom from zero selfbuild design to work! Still some finetuning and adjustments to be done but all basic buttons are working including the start/stop. Exhaust buttons just needs some propper recoding (canbus coding with timer counter), same for drive select although plans are on my car to let it behave as gearbox mode toggle swtich. Race button/switch will controle the FIS mmi module (and is basicly covered aswell).
Still need to order an dual stage leather airbag to make it all safe and plug&play.
Kit is still in development and the guys plan to make it as user friendly and plug&play possible so anybody can do the install itself + individual custom ordered coding.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]126029[/ATTACH]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7eT0F8mjKk[/youtube]
For more info and update:
https://www.instagram.com/vandeursenbe/
https://www.instagram.com/ambrace_eu/

Sandy-m2
Neutral

Post by Sandy-m2 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Did this project get completed? Is there a solution now that can be purchased?

Thanks

Sandy
Current
2016 RS6 C7.5 Performance Sepang
2005 Smart Roadster

Previous
Audi Q7
VW Toareg
Toyota Supra Mkiv
and loads of other shitbox's

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 pm

Well, we (well my friends doing the project, i'm just a beta tester for them)...had some sitbacks and still working on it. Finalizing the last coding (yeah sadely it isn't that easy, we have to find it ourself and only a handfull shops doing it and most only stick to the main buttons).
Anyway, still not done but getting very close and we offer a complete plug&play package with individual custom requested coding (all other shops demand you to send steeringwheel and/or car in their Shop) so we can adress international shipments.

NME
2nd Gear

Post by NME » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:13 pm

I’m interested in this, can you confirm which buttons (standard) work upon fitment? Are any of them able to work as a plug and play?

If not, is the chip available from your friends to make them?

I’ve seen a lot of what appear to be either Bluetooth or radio transmitters style buttons on Alibaba to get around the push button start issue.

brunofacl
Neutral

Post by brunofacl » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:05 pm

the steering fits the a6 4g, but almost none of the buttons works. It has to have alot of work done to make it work. but it can be done.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”