Stop start - rough restart issue

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
rtd
Cruising

Re: Stop start - rough restart issue

Post by rtd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Eddie555 wrote:
Moonmonkey831 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 pm
I would agree but this is violent almost mechanical type unplanned jerk. It’s like the car starts, jumps forwards and the brakes get slammed on all at the same time. I’m likely not describing it properly but it’s not something you would expect to experience especially when it doesn’t feel at all controlled.

I’ll try and write down the actual movement and sequence I do when it happens to see if there is anything obvious I am doing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The other thing I don’t get is why you are actually doing what you are doing. If you just want the car to restart whilst you are stationary just gently lift off the brake then hold brake again. You don’t need to hit the accelerator to restart at all. As I already said there lies the problem which is you actually giving the car gas which is what will set the car into motion.
When I was having issues with my S/S (sometimes) I’d have to take my foot of the brake and then apply the accelerator causing it to lunge forward. And on one occasion I lost all power car started rolling backwards then restarted!

Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Eddie555 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 pm
Question. Does your car have pre-sense city/basic? And also does this happen when there is a car in front of you? If both your answers are yes then what is happening is that the car has detected that you are about to accelerate and sees that an impending impact is possible so it hits the brakes.
This would normally have a warning come up on dash.

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:28 pm
Eddie555 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 pm
Question. Does your car have pre-sense city/basic? And also does this happen when there is a car in front of you? If both your answers are yes then what is happening is that the car has detected that you are about to accelerate and sees that an impending impact is possible so it hits the brakes.
This would normally have a warning come up on dash.
Yes sorry. Like a Big Red Triangle.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

Moonmonkey831
3rd Gear

Stop start - rough restart issue

Post by Moonmonkey831 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Yep sorry my bad. I’m away at the moment so not with my car.

I actually just lift my foot off the brake pedal as you describe and I don’t touch the accelerator pedal at all

The jerking issue I describe happens then

Will try and replicate when I get home

Current: 2017 RS6 Performance in Nardo Grey
Previous: 2014 RS4 in Sepang Blue; 2011 Q5 3.0TDi Sline Plus in Ibis White; 2007 Audi S5 4.2 V8 in Phantom Black; 2006 VW Golf GTi in Tornado Red; 1998 VW Golf 1.9 TDi in Navy Blue; 1988 VW Polo 1.0 in Gold

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Post by DaveBee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:13 am

Moonmonkey831 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 pm
I would agree but this is violent almost mechanical type unplanned jerk. It’s like the car starts, jumps forwards and the brakes get slammed on all at the same time. I’m likely not describing it properly but it’s not something you would expect to experience especially when it doesn’t feel at all controlled.

I’ll try and write down the actual movement and sequence I do when it happens to see if there is anything obvious I am doing wrong.

Previously to the RS6 I had a 3.0ltr Diesel A8. Both have the stop/start technology only in the A8, lifting gently off the brake was enough to restart the engine and hold the car still at the same time. With the RS6 I've found that the restart point of lifting off the brakes isn't sufficient to hold the car as the restarting engine revs a little higher than tickover and so will attempt to Drive the car. I then need to re-apply the brake to hold it still. Perhaps that's what you're trying to describe in which case I assume they all do it :)

I've never been a big fan of stop start tech anyway as I believe you burn just as much fuel constantly restarting the engine (probably not true, but it's how it makes me feel). Consequently I'm much more likely to use the Hold Assist so you don't need to use the foot brake to hold the car and the engine stays running. (I will of course switch off the engine for long stationary periods).

Hold assist (Not hill hold assist which is actually the parking brake with auto release) is designed for this very purpose so you don't have to keep your foot on the brake blinding the people behind you.

Regards,

David.
David

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:08 am

You’ll find it’s called “Hill hold assist” Mr bee. NOT “hold assist”.
Attachments
04ED3C67-EE5F-4D80-BCE9-852B146A9278.jpeg
Current ride’s

Previous rides

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 am

I never use. Can't see it saving that much fuel for me as I rarely stop the car around here, its mainly roundabouts and rarely stop at one, slow creep at worst. If I still lived in London I could see it might be more beneficial but I'd probably still nut use it as it must put a lot of stress on the battery and starter etc.

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:40 am

MikeFish wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 am
I never use. Can't see it saving that much fuel for me as I rarely stop the car around here, its mainly roundabouts and rarely stop at one, slow creep at worst. If I still lived in London I could see it might be more beneficial but I'd probably still nut use it as it must put a lot of stress on the battery and starter etc.
Same here Mike. Even my Mrs hates it on her A3 and it’s the first button we press after the car is started. Personally I always have my A/C on in the summer and heated seats on in the winter which means the s/s doesn’t get a chance to kick in anyways.
Current ride’s

Previous rides

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:38 am

Having now driven Pork for a couple of years the Audi is a tad nanny state. To get pork to hold you have to double pump the brake. Rare that SS intervenes outside of being stopped on hold. Far better solution to me. I don’t have to bother turning stuff off every time I get in.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 am

I set mine with VCDS to remember the last state so I turned it off once and it remains off every time I start the car. I also inverted the light in the button so it's not always on, it comes on when stop start is on ie never.

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Post by DaveBee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Eddie555 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:08 am
You'll find it's called hold assist Mr Eddie... :)

I've highlighted the relevant sections to make it easy for you.

Hill Hold Assist is done using the electro mechanical handbrake auto release funtion... as it says.

18-08-2018 23-14-11.png
18-08-2018 23-16-33.png
David

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 am

DaveBee wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:20 pm
Eddie555 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:08 am
You'll find it's called hold assist Mr Eddie... :)

I've highlighted the relevant sections to make it easy for you.

Hill Hold Assist is done using the electro mechanical handbrake auto release funtion... as it says.

18-08-2018 23-14-11.png

18-08-2018 23-16-33.png
It may say that in the manual which I’ll stand corrected Mr Bee but I’ll challenge you to finding Hold assist on any option choice on any model Audi. It is always offered as Hill Hold Assist and I would say that is what people know it as. At the end of the day people know exactly what I was on about and I dunno why you felt the need to be quite so ANAL and point out that it’s not Hill hold assist and in fact according to you Hold assist. Which takes me to the other point of yours which is, if you believe that Hill hold assist is the electro magnetic brake then that would mean if cars which have not got hill hold assist as a ticked option then that car would effectively have no parking brake. My Wife’s A3 doesn’t have hill hold assist but she has the electro magnetic handbrake so I ask YOU seeing you know it so well. What is on my wife’s car? Now do you see how dumb this debate has become?
Current ride’s

Previous rides

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Post by DaveBee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:47 am

Eddie555 wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 am

It may say that in the manual which I’ll stand corrected Mr Bee but I’ll challenge you to finding Hold assist on any option choice on any model Audi. It is always offered as Hill Hold Assist and I would say that is what people know it as. At the end of the day people know exactly what I was on about and I dunno why you felt the need to be quite so ANAL and point out that it’s not Hill hold assist and in fact according to you Hold assist. Which takes me to the other point of yours which is, if you believe that Hill hold assist is the electro magnetic brake then that would mean if cars which have not got hill hold assist as a ticked option then that car would effectively have no parking brake. My Wife’s A3 doesn’t have hill hold assist but she has the electro magnetic handbrake so I ask YOU seeing you know it so well. What is on my wife’s car? Now do you see how dumb this debate has become?
Oh dear, I didn't realise you'd get so touchy and offended by being wrong for once. Please don't try to be a smart ass with me by misquoting and claiming I only said snippets of what I actually said. There's no need at all for such animosity or rudeness between people who don't even know each other, no matter how long they've been on this forum!

I'm sure you're a font of all knowledge and right most of the time but even perfect people are wrong occasionally :) ANAL in your isolated opinion or not, I pointed out it isn't HILL HOLD ASSIST because IT ISN'T! no matter what you call it. Why not learn something? It'll be better for your health :)

I stand entirely by what I've said in whole (not snippets of it) and I am supported 100% by the manual if you'd ever care to read it. It's NOT according to me, it's according to AUDI.

HILL HOLD ASSIST is provided by the AUTO RELEASE function of the electro mechanical HAND BRAKE. That's not me saying that, or twisting words, or calling something by its wrong name, it's stated for all to see in the cars manual.

HOLD ASSIST for holding the car stationery in stop/go traffic is provided by the HOLD ASSIST button.

Therefore, if your wife's car has an electro mechanical hand brake that will AUTO RELEASE on applying power to drive the car, she does in fact have hill hold assist (whether it was offered, ticked or not). If it doesn't auto release, then she doesn't. It's really not rocket science and it's bordering on insanity if you really believe there's anything in my words that suggests a car without hill hold assist doesn't have a hand brake - That really would make this debate dumb.

Anyway, I've made my point, I already had, and I'm only sorry you took such offence and read my comment so personally, it wasn't. ;)

In this crazy old world with all the technology we have it really does help if we call things by the correct name and I was merely trying to help the OP do so in order to get to the bottom of his problem. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe hold assist applies the hand brake with the same force as using the hand brake button, and in my experience it also releases the car much smoother, whereas using the handbrake button (hill hold) can make it quite harsh. I think that's why the manual contains warnings about hold assist not being able to hold the car in certain circumstances. I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean on a vertical incline or upside down :)

Hope that put's things into more perspective - I'm knackered now :)

Regards,
David

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:05 am

Tell me where in the manual it says the park brake is called Hill hold assist. I think the person confused and twisted the words it is you. Driving away from a slope is that what YOU call Hill hold assist. Because that’s the only thing that related to a hill. And for the record my wife’s car has a parking brake which happens to work when she is driving up a slope. She definitely doesn’t not have Hill hold assist as it has no button next to her park brake button and Hill hold assist was never ticked on the order.
Current ride’s

Previous rides

DaveBee
2nd Gear

Post by DaveBee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Eddie,

I will absolutely agree with you the manual is ambiguous, but it makes more reference to starting on an incline in the electro mechanical hand brake section than it does in the hold assist section, however, it also makes reference there to starting on an incline too. The odd thing is that although they make reference to hill hold assist as an optional extra, absolutely nowhere does the manual refer to HILL hold assist, neither does their on line glossary. I'll therefore accept the anal badge to some extent, but I still think it's important to refer to the functions by their Audi name in this thread in order to accurately define what the OP is doing. No word twisting taking place on my part ;)

All the best.
David

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”