Brake disc & pad question when buying AUC

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
EmilA
2nd Gear

Brake disc & pad question when buying AUC

Post by EmilA » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:41 pm

So I have had my car for 4 weeks now, and i’ve had a fair bit of brake squeal but didn’t think to much of it, brake pads have about 1cm depth on them roughly.

Now today i’ve finally had a chance to see my brake discs up close and noticed there is a lip on them, a decent lip too and more than i’d expect on an AUC car, I have done about 1800 miles since I got it, not enough to cause a lip that big IMO.
I remember reading on a thread that the service paperwork tells you the brake life left, now the kicker, I didn’t get no paperwork with my car but did get an e-mail copy of its inspection. No mention of brake pad/disc wear on them.

I can’t take it back to supplying dealer as I’m in Brussels and the salesperson/dealer that I got the car from (in U.K.) were rubbish and IMO lied to me on a few things.
Now, i’ll speak to my local dealer at home in U.K. and can take it back there, but could I have these brakes checked out and what is the chance of them being replaced as again IMO they should have been picked up on AUC. I’ll pay if I need too but I think the dealer tried to pull another “fast one” on me here. Just looking for opinions on what other owners would so

guyneutron
Neutral

Re: Brake disc & pad question when buying AUC

Post by guyneutron » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 pm

What dealer did you purchase the car from?
I have has something similar, squeaky breaks, took into local dealer, they said breaks worn need to be replaced ,
Dealer I purchased from says breaks are
Fine, car has 9900 miles , and is Audi approved used . 2 Wheels were buckled too, but dealer is fixing them. I got Audi UK involved, as I find it very weird that one dealer says one thing, and another says something else. Both Sytner group dealers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:58 pm

I think you’ll struggle with that one as you’ve done 1.8k plus it was a used car so would have disc use already. Depends on the cars mileage at purchase and if discs had already been replaced.
All discs get a lip and that doesn’t mean they are knackered mine have a nice lip yet still got loads of use left in them. I’ve done 33k and still on original set. A lot depends on how you drive on disc wear

EmilA
2nd Gear

Post by EmilA » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:07 pm

skirs6 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:58 pm
I think you’ll struggle with that one as you’ve done 1.8k plus it was a used car so would have disc use already. Depends on the cars mileage at purchase and if discs had already been replaced.
All discs get a lip and that doesn’t mean they are knackered mine have a nice lip yet still got loads of use left in them. I’ve done 33k and still on original set. A lot depends on how you drive on disc wear
I think it’s a struggle too, hence I want to see what the service report says as it may mention the disc thickness. 1.8k miles isn’t enough to put a 2mm lip onto the disc, I drive 85% of my time on the motorway between Brussels & Birmingham, about 1.4k miles is motorway alone with my 1yr old in the back, so it’s all sensible miles.

Car had 43.5k miles roughly if I remember right. I think the pads squealed abit then. I had a drive from the petrol station back to the dealer, about 1.5 miles worth as when I first viewed the car, they lost the keys so I couldn’t look inside..
Last edited by EmilA on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmilA
2nd Gear

Post by EmilA » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:11 pm

guyneutron wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:21 pm
What dealer did you purchase the car from?
I have has something similar, squeaky breaks, took into local dealer, they said breaks worn need to be replaced ,
Dealer I purchased from says breaks are
Fine, car has 9900 miles , and is Audi approved used . 2 Wheels were buckled too, but dealer is fixing them. I got Audi UK involved, as I find it very weird that one dealer says one thing, and another says something else. Both Sytner group dealers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can I share the name without any repercussions for the forum? Some I use don’t let you name them. It’s not to far from the Dartford Crossing though.. Picked up a car that was dirty inside

My dealer someone managed to miss “a massive chunk missing” from the original wheels the car came with after their refurb, they ended up swapping the wheels with another RS6 in their stock after asking me. I reckon the first set were buckled too, even had the salesperson offer to glue the lost bit of rubber from the sidewall back down to the tyre!

EmilA
2nd Gear

Post by EmilA » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:21 pm

The plot thickens, looking over the e-mail copies of the service report (as the dealer had no paperwork to give me apparently, I have to ask my local dealer to print it according to them!), my passenger side front sill trim is missing. I saw it was in their invoice, but it wasn’t on the car when I picked it up as my photos prove. Don’t have much faith in the service being performed either.

An amazing car and I don’t regret buying it, but that dealer is ran like a backyard garage!

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:34 pm

At 43k I would have thought that was a second set of discs but could be wrong unless they are actually totally knackered. It does actually say on the disc the thickness and what you can use down to I had mine measured after Audi said I needed to change them. I’m on second set of pads on original discs. I personally wouldn’t name the seller yet as you may be able to get all these problems sorted with a little diplomacy.

EmilA
2nd Gear

Post by EmilA » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:53 am

The supplying dealer is nearly 3 hours away from home so I wouldn’t be going back there and go to my local dealer in Birmingham instead. Attached a photo of my what brake disc looks like this morning, the round imprints are nearly smooth too.
Attachments
DADB1527-940C-400A-9D52-97E8AA6F548C.jpeg

EmilA
2nd Gear

Post by EmilA » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:53 am

Second photo
Attachments
ED04DC98-F7B8-40CA-866B-16933F08BDB2.jpeg

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:59 am

Doesn't look too bad. They normally have about 2mm of wear on them so anything less than that is OK. And the holes always fill with dust and rust.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 am

On my RS4 with similar wavy discs, I was starting to get squeals and after measuring the discs, they were still within spec. I was on my 2nd set of pads (fairly new) and the squeals are becoming less common now. I think it might be down to the pads rubbing on that inside lip edge which appears with wear - you can see on your pictures, that this is happening too.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

EmilA
2nd Gear

Post by EmilA » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:12 am

Thank you for the feedback :thumbs: . Still interested to know what the measurements where when the car was in the workshop.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:29 am

I've just checked my own copy of the Audi multipoint check (2016) and there is no measurement taken/recorded. It's a visual check, so measurements will only be taken if the tech feels the brakes are close to being worn out.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Cook
Neutral

Post by Cook » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Rs6 brakes. BG Brakes in Stoke Prior, Bromsgrove. Worcestershire. Taken my front discs for skimming as hevy driving and track wears the discs down quickly. Feel very good after and its only a tiny amount. And check out their 390 & the mahoosive 420mm disc and caliper conversion !! Stunning piece of kit 👍
Cook

Alpina B5 touring e61
Audi RS6 Vorsprung
Lancia Delta Evo2 Blu Swaters
Bmw e30 conv. 3.5 ltr M30
Bmw e30 M3 1989
Porsche 911 Turbo X50 2004
Peugeot 205gti 1.9

EmilA
2nd Gear

Post by EmilA » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Cook wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 pm
Rs6 brakes. BG Brakes in Stoke Prior, Bromsgrove. Worcestershire. Taken my front discs for skimming as hevy driving and track wears the discs down quickly. Feel very good after and its only a tiny amount. And check out their 390 & the mahoosive 420mm disc and caliper conversion !! Stunning piece of kit 👍
Got prices on skimming there? Home in the U.K. is the Birmingham/Solihull border so not far if I went down that route

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”