Which Exhaust Guide?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Which Exhaust Guide?

Post by h4rvsingh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm

So I have milltek system on my RS6 with custom downpipes. I get that with a car like this there should be an element of theatre and I may get shot down for this but I find the car a little too loud at times and have started to look at what I could change to make it slightly tamer or at least have the option to switch between modes. I have a feeling its the downpipes that may be making it louder than your average RS6 with the Milltek system - but I would need to find someone local to hear the difference to know.

Looking for 1st hand opinions on aftermarket performance exhausts please.

Oh and on a side note - my milltek could be for sale if I can justify the spend on something else soon.

EmilA
2nd Gear

Re: Which Exhaust Guide?

Post by EmilA » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm

I think downpipes will be the cause of the noise, is your miltek resonated or not?
I may also be interested in it depending on price

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:26 pm

EmilA wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm
I think downpipes will be the cause of the noise, is your miltek resonated or not?
I may also be interested in it depending on price
Non Resonated. Would be a shame to remove the downpipes as they really are a work of art!

No Idea what the market rate for one of these is - its only 6 months old and approx 3k miles.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm

I appreciate this may be controversial due to the cost but I think the Akrapovic Exhaust sounds awesome. Starting the car never gets old and I think adds character that was missing initially.

Only heard the Milltek via YouTube which does sound good. Certainly very loud and quite raspy sounding. However, the Akrapovic has a certain quality to it which doesn't come across in videos. The sound is something else when on it. Below 3K revs it's totally unobtrusive inside the car but still sounds loud enough outside to ensure the V8 sounds are enhanced over the sports exhaust.

It is expensive for what it is but it looks and feels like a quality item which is what you would want for a circa £100K car.
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:32 pm

innercry666 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm
I appreciate this may be controversial due to the cost but I think the Akrapovic Exhaust sounds awesome. Starting the car never gets old and I think adds character that was missing initially.

Only heard the Milltek via YouTube which does sound good. Certainly very loud and quite raspy sounding. However, the Akrapovic has a certain quality to it which doesn't come across in videos. The sound is something else when on it. Below 3K revs it's totally unobtrusive inside the car but still sounds loud enough outside to ensure the V8 sounds are enhanced over the sports exhaust.

It is expensive for what it is but it looks and feels like a quality item which is what you would want for a circa £100K car.
I had an Akra on my E92 M3 so I know about the quality of the sound, build and weight saving was immense.

Is that what you have on yours? where are you based - would love to hear it. I couldn't justify the spend on a new one so would need to wait for a 2nd hand one to come up unfortunately.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:47 pm

I've heard a lot of combinations side by side. The best I thought was the Fourie downpipes which you have with the standard backbox. This sounded great to me and gives a good power increase. The downside is that you need a remap to run this combo (not a problem for you as you already have it) and you need a friendly garage every year for the MOT.
If you go back to standard downpipes with milltek you will probably have the sound you are after. Will lose a bit of power though.

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:56 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:47 pm
I've heard a lot of combinations side by side. The best I thought was the Fourie downpipes which you have with the standard backbox. This sounded great to me and gives a good power increase. The downside is that you need a remap to run this combo (not a problem for you as you already have it) and you need a friendly garage every year for the MOT.
If you go back to standard downpipes with milltek you will probably have the sound you are after. Will lose a bit of power though.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that - I was trying to find out who made my downpipes - thanks for confirming. I may consider losing the downpipes but depends what the trade off is - I may contact MRC for a discussion and quote.

What are you running out of interest?

Thanks

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 pm

I have chopped out the front and centre resonators of the standard exhaust. Sounds almost as loud as a milltek non res but only costs a few hundred pounds. I've disconnected my valves so they are always open so I don't need to go into dynamic or sports mode for them to open. Perfect for me.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:01 pm

And yes, those Fourie Fabrications downpipes are a work of art.

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:04 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:01 pm
I was hell bent on removing them as I suspected they were the cause of the additional noise but when I saw them I changed my mind - flawless and some monstrous diameter!

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm

h4rvsingh wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:32 pm
innercry666 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:28 pm

I had an Akra on my E92 M3 so I know about the quality of the sound, build and weight saving was immense.

Is that what you have on yours? where are you based - would love to hear it. I couldn't justify the spend on a new one so would need to wait for a 2nd hand one to come up unfortunately.
Yes I have the Akrapovic on mine. I'm based in the midlands. Happy to meet up at some point so you can hear it. interested to hear what your's sounds like as well...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 pm

h4rvsingh wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:04 pm
MikeFish wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:01 pm
I was hell bent on removing them as I suspected they were the cause of the additional noise but when I saw them I changed my mind - flawless and some monstrous diameter!
4 inch I think.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 pm

And I think you are right, the downpipes certainly add a bark to the standard exhaust.

bn8959
3rd Gear

Post by bn8959 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:54 pm

You could try swapping the Milltek centre section for the new ‘Road+’, which has a resonator, but it’s half way between the non-res and fully resonated one. This is what I have on mine

You could also consider the Cete Value Control module. This make the valves stay closed in Comfort mode (up to 5k rpm and closed on cold start too), but open all the time in dynamic.

This combo gives me nice control of ‘tame’ and ‘fierce’!
2016 C7 RS6 - Panther Black
Previous:
2008 B7 RS4 Avant, Phantom Black

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:54 pm

bn8959 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:54 pm
You could try swapping the Milltek centre section for the new ‘Road+’, which has a resonator, but it’s half way between the non-res and fully resonated one. This is what I have on mine

You could also consider the Cete Value Control module. This make the valves stay closed in Comfort mode (up to 5k rpm and closed on cold start too), but open all the time in dynamic.

This combo gives me nice control of ‘tame’ and ‘fierce’!
That's a really sensible idea and probably the most cost effective for now. I'll look into it....any recommendations in terms of dealers for Milltek products ?

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”