The Mapping coin

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
fozi.g
1st Gear

Re: The Mapping coin

Post by fozi.g » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Mapping is no big deal really. These engines are so over engineered they can quite easily handle the extra power.

Realistically how many engines have blown in comparison to how many people have actually mapped there cars and haven't had issue.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:29 am

Probably just as many failed standard engines as modified. I don't think mapping makes much difference to reliability, but it can make a difference as to whether Audi will pay for a engine for you or not.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:13 am

Well, that’s not entirely right. The extra power and torque will increase wear across the drivetrain which will ultimately reduce life.

Time old debate of course, but map and blow, don’t grumble about the repair bill.

Alternatively just buy a faster car.

fozi.g
1st Gear

Post by fozi.g » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:41 am

It will increase wear across the drivetrain yes but not enough to reduce its life unless your throwing 800+ through it. As I said previously Audi Have over engineered the RS6 engine and tranny massively as it’s the benchmark engine that they use in most high powered Audi stable cars (Lamborghini/Bentley etc) so having the car mapped to a stage 1/2 won’t really effect the life of the components. They’ve been build to well exceed the performance they have put in the RS6.

As Mike said above there have been just as many failures in cars without maps as with so it’s not down to the map. It seems is just luck if the draw if you end up with an engine that fails.

doodlebug
Cruising

The Mapping coin

Post by doodlebug » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:24 am

It’s not exactly the same engine in the slightly higher output uses. It’s not going to be massively over engineered as that costs. It’ll be built for the use. The days of using inch steel where half inch steel sufficed ended many decades ago.

I’m not saying don’t map, but to say that doesn’t add risk is plainly wrong.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Clearly running a higher tune will put more stress on the engine and drivetrain, but in terms of engine failure risk with the C7 there doesn't seem to be any higher risk whether it is tuned or standard.

fozi.g
1st Gear

Post by fozi.g » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:22 pm

There are certain engines that have been built to withstand higher tolerances than what they have left the factory with. Most of the S/RS cars with turbos or superchargers take very well to mapping. The GTR is another example of an engine that takes very well to it.

Even if you put it into context the difference between an RS6 and RS6 Performance is what?? Correct...simple mapping. As far as I’m aware there are zero differences between their engines or transmissions. So by Audi themselves doing it they are showing you that the engines/trans can absolutely handle the extra power without issue.

535dboy
Top Gear

Post by 535dboy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:50 am

fozi.g wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:22 pm
There are certain engines that have been built to withstand higher tolerances than what they have left the factory with. Most of the S/RS cars with turbos or superchargers take very well to mapping. The GTR is another example of an engine that takes very well to it.
As in the Nissan GTR?

Everyone I’ve known in my group has blown up with a map.

That is ranging from 650bhp to 1400bhp
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

fozi.g
1st Gear

Post by fozi.g » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:16 am

535dboy wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:50 am
fozi.g wrote:
As in the Nissan GTR?

Everyone I’ve known in my group has blown up with a map.

That is ranging from 650bhp to 1400bhp
Is that the legendary ‘blown up map’ group you speak of??

Come on.....that’s a very bold statement. Either your group are the most unlucky bunch around and have had the worst maps installed by back street outfits or there’s like 2 members of this so called group which would make sense.

Thousands of people have had maps installed on their cars. It’s predominantly what keeps companies like Litchfields/MRC/MSL trading. I’m not saying that cars that have had mapping work don’t suffer from engine failure because a bad map no doubt will cause damage to the car.
The fact is go to a reputable company and it’s highly unlikely you will have issues unless the car had problems from the get go which after a map will increase chances of failure.

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:47 pm

fozi.g wrote:

Even if you put it into context the difference between an RS6 and RS6 Performance is what?? Correct...simple mapping. As far as I’m aware there are zero differences between their engines or transmissions. So by Audi themselves doing it they are showing you that the engines/trans can absolutely handle the extra power without issue.
560 standard and 600 performance model, only 40 hp difference that’s really low, I also don’t think that rs6 c7 can make engine failure if you do it 700hp more than 750 maybe is a risk in tear.

gsc
2nd Gear

The Mapping coin

Post by gsc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:20 pm

I’ll pipe up for the remap camp, even though I’m not in an RS6.

Being honest I did mine just before my warranty ran out, do I regret it no. It does make the car completely different, you’d need to drive one back to back against stock to see if it’s what you want but it was for me.

Yes it does run extra boost but then it depends on whether you are mashing the throttle all the time. Seen as many people rag standard cars to oblivion than those with mapped ones who now don’t feel the need to.

All that differs is that I change my oil more regularly as well as plugs, ensure engine is warmed up before giving it full beans and to date I haven’t felt the need to launch it, it is now quick enough.

BTW it’s not the bhp, more the 1000+ NM of torque over the standard 700-750 NM so over a third more that makes it all worthwhile.

Like Mike said, getting a used engine or a rebuild in Europe is 6-10k, not the 40k Audi would want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anth
3rd Gear

Post by Anth » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 pm

gsc wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:20 pm
I’ll pipe up for the remap camp, even though I’m not in an RS6.

Being honest I did mine just before my warranty ran out, do I regret it no. It does make the car completely different, you’d need to drive one back to back against stock to see if it’s what you want but it was for me.

Yes it does run extra boost but then it depends on whether you are mashing the throttle all the time. Seen as many people rag standard cars to oblivion than those with mapped ones who now don’t feel the need to.

All that differs is that I change my oil more regularly as well as plugs, ensure engine is warmed up before giving it full beans and to date I haven’t felt the need to launch it, it is now quick enough.

BTW it’s not the bhp, more the 1000+ NM of torque over the standard 700-750 NM so over a third more that makes it all worthwhile.

Like Mike said, getting a used engine or a rebuild in Europe is 6-10k, not the 40k Audi would want.

Classic age old debate on mapping . I've had a few other cars mapped with great results I think gsc is correct the character of the drive changes. Throttle response without doubt and the boost is more eager meaning it's more available without really flooring the car when you need that big power .

Do I want to do this? Yes ! It's not the power its the way the delivery changes with that boost its down to the individual user obviously but who doesn't like more on tap power !

And then the downside and that risk reward scale. Personally I like that if I need to use my warrenty its there to always have and there's no stress waiting for the call to say it's not covered. The RS6 is great stock and a real power house so I dont feel the need , Id imagen if I had a week with a correctly mapped 6 and went back to stock ! .... It would have to happen! For now I'm staying safe in the bottled zone .
2017 C7 RS6 PE Nardo
2014 911 991 C4S PDK White
2013 M6 Cab Blk
2012 911 997 MK2 PDK Silver
2007 RS4 Cab Grey

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:47 am

Naive question - but is there a common point of failure for the engines that could be upgraded for a reasonable cost at the same time as a map?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

gsc
2nd Gear

Post by gsc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:59 pm

FaisalJ wrote:Naive question - but is there a common point of failure for the engines that could be upgraded for a reasonable cost at the same time as a map?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really, common faults are turbos starved of oil so change PCV, screen and pipes to turbos and plugs /injectors. But how many relative to the number mapped vs stock is anyone’s guess

drhex
Neutral

Post by drhex » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Mapped mine after warranty expired, has 680 HP on Shell with all stock but air filter. Changes the car imho, still very driveable but proper fast now. Surges a bit under full throttle but can live with that.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”