Thinking of removing these to increase power

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
finance-nick
1st Gear

Thinking of removing these to increase power

Post by finance-nick » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi all,

Cant help noticing the huge blocked area in each air intake, are they there for a reason? Looks to me like removing them will just increase airflow to those radiators by an extra 40%... Also does anyone know what those radiators are behind the grills?

--
2018-06-27_2012.png

alexrs6plus
2nd Gear

Re: Thinking of removing these to increase power

Post by alexrs6plus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:14 pm

They look like they may be there to stop stones flying into the radiators and damaging them.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 am

How'd you work that 40% out?
No matter where you go, there you are.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:43 am

They are the auxiliary radiators. They help support the main radiator when the car is really hot so most of the time they do nothing.

finance-nick
1st Gear

Post by finance-nick » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 am

I said 40% as looks like their 40% blocked, i thought these were the rads for the charge coolers? so much for guessing

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 am

I'd also think twice about air flow before removing.

Firstly, Audi wouldn't have put the baffles there without reason as it will be a cost and weight penalty - small, but things don't get added for fun!

Secondly, at speed the air flow around the car will mean that a major component of the flow is across, rather than through, the opening. Changing that flow may well affect the way the air follows the corner of the car and adheres down the side. This will increase turbulence and drag increasing fuel consumption and lowering performance at high speed!

However, if you have a wind tunnel handy, then do have a go and let us know the results!

Dave

finance-nick
1st Gear

Post by finance-nick » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am

Daveperc wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 am

Firstly, Audi wouldn't have put the baffles there without reason as it will be a cost and weight penalty - small, but things don't get added for fun!

Secondly, at speed the air flow around the car will mean that a major component of the flow is across, rather than through, the opening. Changing that flow may well affect the way the air follows the corner of the car and adheres down the side. This will increase turbulence and drag increasing fuel consumption and lowering performance at high speed!

However, if you have a wind tunnel handy, then do have a go and let us know the results!

Dave

I agree, too many question marks on this one

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Daveperc wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 am

Dave
The baffles as there as they normally house the radars for the adaptive cruise control.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:42 pm

I have considered bypassing and removing one of the radiators and replacing it with a cold air feed as this was a popular mod for the B7. But this forced induction engine gets pretty hot with those turbos in the Vee and thought that if it was worthwhile or risk free the MRC would be doing it by now.

Daveperc
Cruising

Post by Daveperc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm

The baffles as there as they normally house the radars for the adaptive cruise control.
Could be, though equally it could be that the radar was mounted there as there was a convenient space behind the baffles.

Pretty sure that the baffles were there on the earliest models, and I don't think the adaptive cruise control dates back that far....

Which came first, the chicken or the egg, the baffles or the radar.... ah, the great questions of life!!

Dave

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Could be.

wildbore
4th Gear

Post by wildbore » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:02 pm

Daveperc wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Could be, though equally it could be that the radar was mounted there as there was a convenient space behind the baffles.

Pretty sure that the baffles were there on the earliest models, and I don't think the adaptive cruise control dates back that far....

Which came first, the chicken or the egg, the baffles or the radar.... ah, the great questions of life!!

Dave
The positioning of the ACC radars isn't a haphazard process such that they end up wherever. The radars create a pseudo 3-D view of the road ahead and their spacing and height from the road are critical to their operation. The radiator flow rate will have been calculated with the radars (or blanking plates) as part of the equation.

ACC was available on the standard C7 before the first RS6 was launched.

Chicken or egg? Radar placement + radiator air throughput > front apron design, including grilles and radar mounting plates.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”