Dunlop tyre repair / replacement

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:40 am

I've had my 2016 RS6 for a month now and unfortunately now have a screw in my rear tyre. It seems to just be within the limit for a repair as it isnt to close to the edge. It doesn't seem to be loosing pressure any more, or at least very slowly.

The question is can the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT R01 285 30 R21 actually be repaired?

This tyre seems to include Dunlop's Noise Shield Technology which includes a layer of a foam like substance on the inside of the tyre to reduce road noise.

Any thoughts?

The tyres are the original tyres, done 9k miles and about 50% worn.

I've looked around and it seems you may be able to get the Audi specific tyre (are there any that aren't Audi sport specific at this size and modle??) for approx. £250 fitted, Audi want £100 more! Trouble is I am off to Le Mans on Wednesday and not sure the non-Audi places would be able to get a tyre in that quickly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Markp
5th Gear

Re: Dunlop tyre repair / replacement

Post by Markp » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:52 am

They can be repaired. Here is Conti service bulletin on repairing their equivalent.
https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www ... t-data.pdf

Option 2: buy a good used off eBay - there are plenty for sale.

Option 3: if tyre is only got 4mm or less get a new one. There are new ones on eBay so can’t think a tyre place will have an issue getting you one for Monday.

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 am

This is what I wrote about a couple years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=116073&hilit=RS6+specific+tyres
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks for the advice! Car in a tyre Shop at the moment for a repair, they aren't too talkative but I think the guy knew about the silent tyres and commented on them being a pain to repair so fingers crossed it will be fine.

Audi said they couldn't be repaired yesterday when the car was in with them for warranty work. They also gave me incorrect information about the foam, suggesting that the foam expands when you get a puncture. I didn't think that was the case when he said that to me, likely the service guy on the phone misinterpreting the technician.

Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:10 am

Screw in the tyre... Don't know where that would have come from, not small though! Apparently all fixed, small section of foam removed and glued back into place.Image

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 pm

I had a puncture on my Dunlop too. Some garages wouldn't repair it but I found one that would.

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:38 pm

This silent running thing is just a length of stuck on foam that you could probably buy down your local carpet Shop. 😂😂

harrier
2nd Gear

Post by harrier » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:52 pm

When this happened to me in early 2017, local Audi service department were non pluses about Cont Silent and confused it with Cont Seal. Local Picador garage, who have been very helpful when I needed a set of tyres swapped, were also baffled. Audi garage suggested I ring Audi UK technical department, but Audi UK told me they don't have one! in the end, with the help of Google and Linked In I managed to catch a director of Continental PLC (in his car on the road). He said he didn't have the answer, but would get someone to ring me who did. Within minutes a technical engineer guy from Continental Tyres rang me back. He directed me to the technical bulletin sheets info referred to above by MarkP.

Interestingly the technician stated that cutting out a small patch of the foam and moving aside the underlying sealant goo (perhaps a 1/4 of the size of that in Conti Seal tyres) is of very little consequence overall and it does not have to be replaced afterwards.

In regards to tyre repair in general, the last couple of repairable punctures I had didn't involve removing the tyre from the wheel (no threat of alloy damage here). Instead a rubber patch on a stalk was inserted through a large hollow needle like device. The stalk then protruded through the hole and was cut off at surface tread level. All good so far.

Yes, a long wide threaded screw in your case, but it seems a very plausible explanation is that front tyres throw up the item they run over. which lifted from horizontal then imbeds itself in the rear tyre tread, leading to more rear punctures than front. Is that what other members on this forum have found found?
RS6 PE DMS, Daytona, Pano., 21" 5-V-Spoke Tit.Alloys, C/Ceramics, Dynamic Pack +, Parking Pack Adv., Assist. Pack, TV (MMI only), Road Angel (essential) + Python, A. Connect & Phone Box + S/phone Interface, Head-up Display and Night Vision Assist., RS6 Proj. Puddle Lights, Clear 3M Wrap.

Mini Cooper S ("hot"Chili) 265BHP; VW Fox 59BHP; Citroen C1 68BHP!!

RS4 (B7) w. TTS S/C, C/Ceramics - sold
Audi TT Coupe won at model launch, for 3 months, from Audi UK !

Moonmonkey831
3rd Gear

Post by Moonmonkey831 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:37 am

I’ve had two punctures on the right hand side recently. Front tyre the screw was in the wall so needed a new tyre which came next day for fitting. Have only done 4K miles so a bit crap but what can you do? Tyre was £264

The rear tyre was a screw again but well in the middle of the tyre so that was a repair. The silencing foam was there but the tyre Shop had done many and removed a small section to repair and glued it back. Apparently it’s really only there to reduce road noise for the outside world rather than for you in the car.

Both were Dunlop GT sport max 285 30 R21

I then remembered the dealer had also given me tyre insurance when I got the car so I claimed on that and that fully covered the costs (claim limit is £300) but surprisingly straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current: 2017 RS6 Performance in Nardo Grey
Previous: 2014 RS4 in Sepang Blue; 2011 Q5 3.0TDi Sline Plus in Ibis White; 2007 Audi S5 4.2 V8 in Phantom Black; 2006 VW Golf GTi in Tornado Red; 1998 VW Golf 1.9 TDi in Navy Blue; 1988 VW Polo 1.0 in Gold

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”