RS6 engine failures....newbie questions

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

RS6 engine failures....newbie questions

Post by h4rvsingh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:57 am

So I am on the lookout for a facelift RS6 and looking at common issues and having spoken to a couple of people I know and premature engine failure has come up in conversation. Searching the forum and the net I can't find specifics to this so apologies if I am covering ground that has been done to death.

What is the deal with this horror story? is it common and what is the cause? do Audi acknowledge it and cover it under warranty?

Many Thanks

rtd
Cruising

Re: RS6 engine failures....newbie questions

Post by rtd » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:03 am

There have been a few cars with engine issues (mapped and non-mapped) but nothing which points to a trend or an issue with the engine. Just look for a properly maintained car with warranty but beware that if you map your car there can always be issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:10 am

rtd wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:03 am
There have been a few cars with engine issues (mapped and non-mapped) but nothing which points to a trend or an issue with the engine. Just look for a properly maintained car with warranty but beware that if you map your car there can always be issues.

Thanks...I am currently looking at a stage 2 mapped vehicle and these stories obviously concern me! And would prefer a standard vehicle simply to honour the warranty should i need to call upon it!

Removing the map and reverting to standard is always an option even though there will still be traces of evidence.

rtd
Cruising

Post by rtd » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:19 am

h4rvsingh wrote:
rtd wrote:

Thanks...I am currently looking at a stage 2 mapped vehicle and these stories obviously concern me! And would prefer a standard vehicle simply to honour the warranty should i need to call upon it!

Removing the map and reverting to standard is always an option even though there will still be traces of evidence.
Correct Audi will always find evidence of the map then void your warranty!

Personally I would avoid any car with a map just isn’t worth the hassle especially if you still have a warranty on your car or intend on keeping it warranted.

Volvo XC90
C7 - RS6
C6 - RS6
B5 - RS4

superlightr
2nd Gear

Post by superlightr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:34 am

agree with the above - avoid any mapped cars. They are fast enough as standard tbh.

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 am

rtd wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:19 am
h4rvsingh wrote:
rtd wrote:

Correct Audi will always find evidence of the map then void your warranty!

Personally I would avoid any car with a map just isn’t worth the hassle especially if you still have a warranty on your car or intend on keeping it warranted.

I understand what you are saying. There are so many mapped RS6's still under warranty that one hopes that Audi dealers are 'accomodating' warranty claims on modified cars but then again an engine rebuild/replacement is a bit different to a claim for something under £1k! so will probably worm their way out of it even if the cause isn't the map.

h4rvsingh
2nd Gear

Post by h4rvsingh » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 am

superlightr wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:34 am
agree with the above - avoid any mapped cars. They are fast enough as standard tbh.
I agree I don't need 700+ horses. I have found a spec I really like - some may even know the car as its quite unique being a Venetian Purple RS6 with a few modifications. Being a 2016 model still under warranty the modifications are causing concerns if there is a chance that premature engine failure is a possible issue that is raising its head on these cars.

NME
2nd Gear

Post by NME » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:29 am

It all depends though.

The extra power is mind blowing, and if done correctly e.g by MRC you minimise the risk.

It allows the car to be “all that it can be”.

Dealers tend to be different to each other on a case by case basis, and the relationship you have can affect how they are with you and your car.

I tend to take the view that you can buy a second hand engine for between 5 and £10k anyway, and the £30k horror stories are not applicable as I would not pay that figure to have it fixed by Audi.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 am

Dealers’ hands are tied. Data goes back to AG.

As above, be aware of the risk and consequence and be prepared to foot the bill if it goes awry.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:02 am

That's my mates car. Lovely car.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”