After Market discs

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Alex@Fontain
Trader (Expired)

Re: After Market discs

Post by Alex@Fontain » Wed May 23, 2018 11:57 am

To throw another opinion in (and this is second hand) but Marcus of discskimmers.com (who does work on a lot of quick Audis) offered me the explanation that the warping was predominantly caused by people getting the discs really hot then sitting stationary on the foot brake. This causes a hot/soft spot on the discs and in turn the warping.

New Order
Neutral

Post by New Order » Fri May 25, 2018 1:47 pm

No good they are 365mm outside diameter where as the OEM ones are 390mm
EireRS6 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:57 pm
Hi guys,

Sorry to butt in, but have any of you used autodoc before? Have found the following and just wondered if anyone has bought from them before.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/zimmermann/1738376

heers
Avant Black Edition BITDI STG3 @ 460 Bhp 912NM.
Rs6 C7 390mm Wavey brake discs and calliper upgrade.

New Order
Neutral

Post by New Order » Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 pm

How does that workout with the euro parking brake then ? Is that auto brake applied only to the rears ?
Kinda mucks up my launch control fun from traffic lights not being able to sit on the brakes :piss:
Alex@Fontain wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:57 am
To throw another opinion in (and this is second hand) but Marcus of discskimmers.com (who does work on a lot of quick Audis) offered me the explanation that the warping was predominantly caused by people getting the discs really hot then sitting stationary on the foot brake. This causes a hot/soft spot on the discs and in turn the warping.
Avant Black Edition BITDI STG3 @ 460 Bhp 912NM.
Rs6 C7 390mm Wavey brake discs and calliper upgrade.

Alex@Fontain
Trader (Expired)

Post by Alex@Fontain » Tue May 29, 2018 10:53 am

You would assume that the level of heat required would take a bit of provocation; can't imagine it would ever be an issue at normal road speeds.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue May 29, 2018 7:55 pm

shanek wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:17 pm
MikeFish wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:49 pm
What was wrong with the standard discs? Mine have done 24k and still going.
some people have reported aftermarket discs didn't perform any better so best choice is to use better pads and fluid or retrofit ceramics.
The OEM discs arnt vented correctly, VAG in their quest to save money use the same casting for the internal venting of the drivers and passengers front discs meaning only the passengers disc clears the hot air effectively. The drivers side disc (with prolonged hard use) overheats and warps creating the dreaded disc judder felt by a number RS owners on this forum (including myself).
I replaced the OEM front discs with Vagbremtechnic 2 piece discs (an AP Racing disc mated to Vagbremtechnics bell). Now, both driver and passenger discs have the correct internal venting pattern to allow the discs to be cooled correctly during use with almost no chance of disc warping.
20180507_105610.jpg
Vagbremtechnic are currently running a 10% discount event until the end of May should anyone be interested.
Combined the new discs with Ferodo DS2500 Pads to great effect, just waiting to get new brake fluid, braided lines and rear pads installed to get the full benefit.
Do you know if they do them as drilled too? Their website has the option for hook or groove but the text says drilled or grooved. I assume you can just buy replacement AP discs once you have bought this complete set and need new discs?

I have also been looking at the RB Racing discs. They do a 390mm based on the AP design but do a drilled one. They also do a 410mm version that comes with longer bolts and caliper adapters.

Ooooooo, 410mm:

I suspect that is the same photo of the 390mm discs though.

shanek
1st Gear

Post by shanek » Wed May 30, 2018 7:39 am

MikeFish wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:55 pm
shanek wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:17 pm
MikeFish wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:49 pm
What was wrong with the standard discs? Mine have done 24k and still going.
some people have reported aftermarket discs didn't perform any better so best choice is to use better pads and fluid or retrofit ceramics.
The OEM discs arnt vented correctly, VAG in their quest to save money use the same casting for the internal venting of the drivers and passengers front discs meaning only the passengers disc clears the hot air effectively. The drivers side disc (with prolonged hard use) overheats and warps creating the dreaded disc judder felt by a number RS owners on this forum (including myself).
I replaced the OEM front discs with Vagbremtechnic 2 piece discs (an AP Racing disc mated to Vagbremtechnics bell). Now, both driver and passenger discs have the correct internal venting pattern to allow the discs to be cooled correctly during use with almost no chance of disc warping.
20180507_105610.jpg
Vagbremtechnic are currently running a 10% discount event until the end of May should anyone be interested.
Combined the new discs with Ferodo DS2500 Pads to great effect, just waiting to get new brake fluid, braided lines and rear pads installed to get the full benefit.
Do you know if they do them as drilled too? Their website has the option for hook or groove but the text says drilled or grooved. I assume you can just buy replacement AP discs once you have bought this complete set and need new discs?

I have also been looking at the RB Racing discs. They do a 390mm based on the AP design but do a drilled one. They also do a 410mm version that comes with longer bolts and caliper adapters.

Ooooooo, 410mm:

I suspect that is the same photo of the 390mm discs though.
Hi Mike,

AP Racing do Drilled discs in 390mm x 34mm. The discs supplied from AP for the RS6 are AP's upgrade rotors for the Nissan GTR and these come as drilled unit:

Ventilated Ø390 x 34mm Disc & Mounting Bobbin Kit Numbers:
- Drilled Face Disc.
RH = CP8080Y10SD / LH = CP8080Y11SD

Im sure if you contacted VAGbremtechnic and asked if they could supply drilled, they would oblige.

Although the initial cost of these 2 piece discs are higher than OEM discs, because you only have to replace the rotors and not the bell, the replacement costs thereafter are reduced.

So far, I'm really impressed with the J-hook discs I have installed, the initial bite is sooooooo much better than standard but that could also be due to the Ferodo DS2500 pads.
Cant wait to get the braided lines and new fluid in!!

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”