TD1 code

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
bigbaz1974
1st Gear

TD1 code

Post by bigbaz1974 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:11 am

Just got my car back from audi today it was getting a new shock absorber under warranty so all good. They then told me I have a TD1 code on the car which I wasn't aware of. So I'm reckoning any engine problems and my warranty will be void. What exactly is TD1 and is it possible to remove this.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Re: TD1 code

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:31 am

TD1 code is logged when the Engine ECU has been fiddled with, i.e. re-mapped.

Audi now have the basis to refuse any warranty work relating to engine and possibly transmission on your vehicle.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

bigbaz1974
1st Gear

Post by bigbaz1974 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:39 am

Would it be only be a remap? I had an auto watch ghost immobiliser fitted wonder if that's done it?

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am

Doubt it.

I've found this information below posted elsewhere, it's a TSB (technical service buletin) for Audi of America sent to dealerships about TD1.

AU0173-12
Feedback from DISS reports indicates that our networks are seeing more vehicles that have had non-approved power-enhancing modifications made to them by customers (often called ‘chip tuning’).

Make sure your service advisors and technicians check for modifications before starting any work or repairs.

Warranty policy

The warranty policy guide states that vehicle modifications are not condoned and may result in the vehicle’s warranty on parts related to these enhancements being compromised or revoked.

Section one of the warranty policy guide states:

Our products are sometimes subjected to modifications by their owners. When assessing a warranty claim, it must be carefully ascertained whether, from the technical viewpoint, a connection exists between the modification and the damage. For example, a claim regarding the paintwork cannot be rejected because the vehicle concerned has been fitted with a more powerful engine.

Warranty code indicates if vehicle has been modified

The Group Factories have programmed their service systems to indicate if a vehicle has been tuned or modified. Warranty code ‘TD1’ will appear against the vehicle if it has been modified.

This code is identified whenever a request is sent to the software version management database from the vehicle, encrypted data from the engine ECU is sent in with the request which can be used to determine if the engine control unit mapping has been modified – TD1 is displayed in the Elsa system within 10 seconds.

When you should check for this code

When booking a service: We recommend service advisors check for code TD1 in ElsaPro when booking vehicles in for services (part of the Service Core Process) so your business does not submit warranty or goodwill claims that are later rejected.

Before starting any repairs: We recommend that, when the vehicle is connected to diagnostic equipment, the technician also checks ElsaPro for this code before carrying out any repairs, in case the code hasn’t been identified by the service reception.

To do this, you can:

Complete initial GFF with online connection established. Check the software level online via the specified/actual comparison function to identify possible engine chip tuning (TD1) and make sure the online auto upload correctly concludes

The service systems are updated within 10 seconds of the VAS machine communicating with the Factory servers, so there will be a short delay in the checking process.

What to do if the code appears against a vehicle

If code TD1 appears in the vehicle’s records, you must ask the customer what modifications have been made to the vehicle. You should also warn the customer that any repairs required might not be covered by the manufacturer if the diagnosed defect is related to the modification.

How to use service systems to check for code TD1

Guided fault finding (GFF) – checking vehicle software:

Specified/actual comparison
Problem-related update
Code for vehicle modification

You only need to check current software for the TD1 code to log, if applicable.

Q&A

Q. The TD1 code is displayed, but the customer says that no performance enhancements have been made to his/her vehicle. How can you check what has been modified?
A. Only the manufacturer can check if the car has been modified. To do this, the control unit would have to be removed and sent to the manufacturer for testing. This process could take several weeks, and the customer would be charged for the cost of the testing. This cost could not be claimed under warranty or as goodwill.

Q. Can the TD1 code be reversed?
A. Yes. If an approved software update is detected and applied during the diagnosis process, the TD1 code will be removed from our service systems.

Q. If the vehicle has not been online to the SVM database before but an online log has been sent, will this be enough to initiate the TD1 code?
A. No. The encrypted data can only be sent to SVM using the process stated above. The online diagnostic protocol is not part of this identification process.

Q. Is the TD1 code sent to the 5051 tester?
A. No. Currently, there is no message on the diagnostic machine to indicate that the ECU mapping has been altered. It must be checked as stated in the bulletin (Elsa/SAGA2).

Q. Will the data be sent as part of an online key adaption, or other immobiliser work, related to the engine ECU?
A. No. The FAZIT database for online immobiliser adaption has no affect on this process. Only the software version management database can decrypt the data sent by the ECU.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

bigbaz1974
1st Gear

Post by bigbaz1974 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for that Sam, so would there be any way to get rid of this. I take it probably not other than having to car checked to see exactly what has been done to the ECU

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:18 pm

I'd suggest speaking with the dealership to see what they can do. The second question in the QA states the below, but remember that this was back in 2012 for Audi America and Audi UK maybe different and things may have moved on, or even changed.

Q. Can the TD1 code be reversed?
A. Yes. If an approved software update is detected and applied during the diagnosis process, the TD1 code will be removed from our service systems.

bigbaz1974
1st Gear

Post by bigbaz1974 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 pm

They said there was a software update availble but the ghost immobiliser was apparently not allowing them to carry out the update

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Thats because the ghost immo links into the cars CAN system. If its something 'unauthorised' is linked into the CAN system then and scanner will pick this up and probably what the VAS has detected too and flagged up a TD1
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

RS6chris!
Cruising

Post by RS6chris! » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Glad that’s been been posted

Hopefully some of the folk who deny its existence will talk note!
RS6 C8 carbon black(merlin)
RS6 C8 launch edition
R8 V10 plus
C7 RS6 PE dynamic pack plus
C7 RS6
Porsche Panamera Turbo
C6 RS6 AVANT
RS4 B7
Golf R32 mk 5
BMW M3 E46
Golf R32 mk 5
Golf GTI mk 5
VW Passat 130d 4 motion
VW bora 150pd
Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6
Ford Focus zetec
Rover 214!!

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Bump for the non-believers.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm

I seem to recall reading on here that the TD1 can be applied manually by the dealer so if they see the car has an aftermarket exhaust,is lowered etc they can also raise the flag.

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:47 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm
I seem to recall reading on here that the TD1 can be applied manually by the dealer so if they see the car has an aftermarket exhaust,is lowered etc they can also raise the flag.
Don’t think that dealer can say something about aftermarket exhaust, it damages nothing

kmpowell
5th Gear

Post by kmpowell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Modern Audi's have two flash counters. The 1st is partially accessible by tuners, but the 2nd is completely inaccessible/encrypted and increments at every use of an external device which alters/changes the state of the ECU. Audi keeps a record centrally of what the count number should be for each VIN (based on how many times it's been plugged into their systems), if the count displayed sits outside the number expected, then it goes into the first flash counter and looks for the TB1 and TD1 errors. When these are flagged warranties are usually rendered void.

The flash counters serve two different purposes, one counts, one analyses. There is also another bit of the algorithm that analyses 'hardware' modification (tuning boxes and unidentified hardware that’s been plugged into the ECU) which produces a TXD code that is then added to the detection algorithm. It’s simple maths which will then flag the appropriate error (TD1, TG1, TE1 and TB1).
'15 B8 RS4 - SOLD

Terminator_X
3rd Gear

Post by Terminator_X » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 pm

^^ scary!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

S4WON
Top Gear

Post by S4WON » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:23 pm

kmpowell wrote:Modern Audi's have two flash counters. The 1st is partially accessible by tuners, but the 2nd is completely inaccessible/encrypted and increments at every use of an external device which alters/changes the state of the ECU. Audi keeps a record centrally of what the count number should be for each VIN (based on how many times it's been plugged into their systems), if the count displayed sits outside the number expected, then it goes into the first flash counter and looks for the TB1 and TD1 errors. When these are flagged warranties are usually rendered void.

The flash counters serve two different purposes, one counts, one analyses. There is also another bit of the algorithm that analyses 'hardware' modification (tuning boxes and unidentified hardware that’s been plugged into the ECU) which produces a TXD code that is then added to the detection algorithm. It’s simple maths which will then flag the appropriate error (TD1, TG1, TE1 and TB1).
Well said.

Every few months a new bunch of shills for “tuning company X” come on this site telling people they can “reset for free” or “do it via the OBD” or “install a james bond button”.

Next up they’ll be trying to convince you telepathy works, or maybe faith healing.

Facts are:

Tuning is great but you will void your warranty and you must tell your insurance.

If you are happy with both of those things, fill yer boots.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”