Sensor on the Rear View Mirror

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
becausephilchow
Neutral

Sensor on the Rear View Mirror

Post by becausephilchow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:59 am

Hi Guys,

I recently got my windows tinted, and also installed a Dash Cam. But, the Shop mounted the Dash Cam right under/in front of the Rear View Mirror mount. And, I just noticed there's a sensor there. I've been driving it, so far, I haven't gotten any errors or anything, but anybody have any idea what that Cam/Sensor is for?

Would it be maybe for the High Beam Assist or something along those lines?

DXB_RS6
2nd Gear

Re: Sensor on the Rear View Mirror

Post by DXB_RS6 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 am

becausephilchow wrote:Hi Guys,

I recently got my windows tinted, and also installed a Dash Cam. But, the Shop mounted the Dash Cam right under/in front of the Rear View Mirror mount. And, I just noticed there's a sensor there. I've been driving it, so far, I haven't gotten any errors or anything, but anybody have any idea what that Cam/Sensor is for?

Would it be maybe for the High Beam Assist or something along those lines?
I also installed a dashcam in the same place. Didn't even notice a sensor or any changes prior to the installation of the dashcam.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

feeltheburn
2nd Gear

Post by feeltheburn » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:57 am

I think the sensor on the rear of the mirror is part of the rear view mirror/door mirror dimming function. There is also a sensor on the front of the mirror and it calculates the differential in light between them to decide whether to dim the mirror- otherwise with car lights on as night starts to fall the mirrors would start to dim a bit (iirc). So unless it blocks all light getting to it, it is unlikely to make any difference- most of the clever and expensive to set up driving aids that rely on “seeing the road” have the sensors mounted directly to the the screen at Fixed datum points.
RS6 C7 (2014), Daytona Pearl, 21" Titanium, On Air, LEDs, Sports Exhaust, Dynamic Steering, Red Calipers, ACC, Top View, Connect, Tints, Rear Side Airbags, Rear heated seats; MP4S

becausephilchow
Neutral

Post by becausephilchow » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:11 am

Thanks everybody! Car is currently at the wrap Shop, so haven't driven it much since, but, I'll drive it more to see what happens.

It doesn't completely block it, still gets light through to it. Shouldn't be a huge problem though. Hopefully I don't have to remove it, haha. Worried that it'll take the tint off with it!

harrier
2nd Gear

Post by harrier » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 pm

I too had been wondering what the sensor on the forward facing side of the rear view mirror was for, as I have also been concerned that my dash-cam might obstruct it, although I hadn't noticed any problem at all over the past year or more, so thanks for the heads up.
RS6 PE DMS, Daytona, Pano., 21" 5-V-Spoke Tit.Alloys, C/Ceramics, Dynamic Pack +, Parking Pack Adv., Assist. Pack, TV (MMI only), Road Angel (essential) + Python, A. Connect & Phone Box + S/phone Interface, Head-up Display and Night Vision Assist., RS6 Proj. Puddle Lights, Clear 3M Wrap.

Mini Cooper S ("hot"Chili) 265BHP; VW Fox 59BHP; Citroen C1 68BHP!!

RS4 (B7) w. TTS S/C, C/Ceramics - sold
Audi TT Coupe won at model launch, for 3 months, from Audi UK !

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”