RS6 C7 | 800+ BHP

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
finance-nick
1st Gear

RS6 C7 | 800+ BHP

Post by finance-nick » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 am

Hi All,

Im looking to ultimately achieve 1000 BHP from this unit, i know about the restrictive charge cooler, and know that MRC are currently developing a massive intercooler to replace the charge cooler, BUT that's not available yet, and looks like it may be very costly if it does reach the market.

Ive seen some people upgrade turbo's and achieve a bit more power, but the charge cooler is still the BIG bottle neck. Forge do a charge cooler rad upgrade, BUT told its still not anywhere near solved the problem, and one called the Forge Polar Cooler "a waste of money"

So, my question is, how far has anyone come with their RS6 C7 power wise on this forum, i'd be interested to hear and share experiences, and also kick off by saying that i see a huge flaw in the design myself that's easily fixed - which is the manifolds are positioned so close to all the bits we want to stay cold:

-- cold air intakes (almost touching)
-- charge cooler
-- cold side of turbo

I plan to lay some special recently released 'Manifold Armour' on both sides to stop heat transfer to the above parts, which will reduce heat transfer by up to 80% up to 1000'c and also buy heat sleeve socks for the air intakes just to be extra safe, once done i'll upload pics to show - but this should (im hoping) have a massive impact on the heat soak issues.

Just look how close the 600+ degree manifolds sit to ALL the bit you want to stay cool - amazes me how Audi let this happen, you would have zero chance of getting cold air in to your turbo with this current design !!

Last edited by finance-nick on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

DXB_RS6
2nd Gear

Re: RS6 C7 | 800+ BHP

Post by DXB_RS6 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:21 am

MRC will release very soon.

Try an aquamist system also.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am

There's a 1200hp monster in Russia. From memory they had to cut away front of the car for the cooling solution. Not ideal but shows what the engine is capable of. Think it's about £40k.

viewtopic.php?t=123881

DXB_RS6
2nd Gear

Post by DXB_RS6 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Do you have a link for the manifold armour? Also socks?

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 pm

finance-nick wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 am
Hi All,

Im looking to ultimately achieve 1000 BHP from this unit, i know about the restrictive charge cooler, and know that MRC are currently developing a massive intercooler to replace the charge cooler, BUT that's not available yet, and looks like it may be very costly if it does reach the market.

Ive seen some people upgrade turbo's and achieve a bit more power, but the charge cooler is still the BIG bottle neck. Forge do a charge cooler rad upgrade, BUT told its still not anywhere near solved the problem, and one called the Forge Polar Cooler "a waste of money"

So, my question is, how far has anyone come with their RS6 C7 power wise on this forum, i'd be interested to hear and share experiences, and also kick off by saying that i see a huge flaw in the design myself that's easily fixed - which is the manifolds are positioned so close to all the bits we want to stay cold:

-- cold air intakes (almost touching)
-- charge cooler
-- cold side of turbo

I plan to lay some special recently released 'Manifold Armour' on both sides to stop heat transfer to the above parts, which will reduce heat transfer by up to 80% up to 1000'c and also buy heat sleeve socks for the air intakes just to be extra safe, once done i'll upload pics to show - but this should (im hoping) have a massive impact on the heat soak issues.

Just look how close the 600+ degree manifolds sit to ALL the bit you want to stay cool - amazes me how Audi let this happen, you would have zero chance of getting cold air in to your turbo with this current design !!

Is heat transfer to air coming into the engine really that much of an issue when around 400 litres are travelling through every the air intakes every second at peak revs? And that is before you consider the cooling effect of any external air flow through the engine compartment. I am no engineer - but do have a degree that required too much time studying gas laws and thermodynamics :( - so apologies if being naive. Just curious. Do we know how much cooler Manifold Armour actually makes the air? If so we can work out intake density changes.

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:11 pm

finance-nick wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:13 am
Is heat transfer to air coming into the engine really that much of an issue when around 400 litres are travelling through every the air intakes every second at peak revs? And that is before you consider the cooling effect of any external air flow through the engine compartment. I am no engineer - but do have a degree that required too much time studying gas laws and thermodynamics :( - so apologies if being naive. Just curious. Do we know how much cooler Manifold Armour actually makes the air? If so we can work out intake density changes.
(Again, only stage 2 tuned catless S6 here) but today i was asked to measure my IAT for tuner. Eventough i had installed an aftermarket charged cooler, i actually never really checked out IAT etc...Anyway, i was supprised when actually logging it myself.
Ambiant temps were 4°C today, at cruising speeds the IAT was +-15-20°C (so as good as no heat soak), untill you floor it....it raise quickly (1-2 sec) up too 100°C!
I had no idea, but if you log the exhaust temps (same as turbo's hot side) that goes up to +850°C. I can imagine heat builds up in the turbine and metals quickly....still i was supprised!

Curious about that armour heat paint aswell, but affraid that requires to fulling unbolt the manifolds, same for turbo's hot side...
I put exhaust wrap/tape around my alu intake tubes (some say it doesn't mather a thing).

Maybe a silly/strang number, but so i was infrared messuring temps, after the car had been sitting still in the garage after a ride, maybe half houre later. The intake filter (filter itself) was 130°C...WTF :s. Airbox itself 115°C....that was after 15 minutes driving (some pushes) but already sitting in garage with hood closed.

DXB_RS6
2nd Gear

Post by DXB_RS6 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:17 pm

I found these guys:

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/automotive/

And have been talking to them. On Monday he is going to give me a breakdown of all the products that he thinks the c7 will benefit from.

I'll keep you updated

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm

For what it is worth, i have 3" catless downpipes that are Thermo ZO coated from Russia. Only coasted around 1100€, not sure how much they help (stock cats and shape are a big heat source). Normally plug & play for the RS aswell....(PM for more info if wanted).

finance-nick
1st Gear

Post by finance-nick » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:19 pm

dasquade wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:11 pm
(Again, only stage 2 tuned catless S6 here) but today i was asked to measure my IAT for tuner. Eventough i had installed an aftermarket charged cooler, i actually never really checked out IAT etc...Anyway, i was supprised when actually logging it myself.
Ambiant temps were 4°C today, at cruising speeds the IAT was +-15-20°C (so as good as no heat soak), untill you floor it....it raise quickly (1-2 sec) up too 100°C!
I had no idea, but if you log the exhaust temps (same as turbo's hot side) that goes up to +850°C. I can imagine heat builds up in the turbine and metals quickly....still i was supprised!

Curious about that armour heat paint aswell, but affraid that requires to fulling unbolt the manifolds, same for turbo's hot side...
I put exhaust wrap/tape around my alu intake tubes (some say it doesn't mather a thing).

Maybe a silly/strang number, but so i was infrared messuring temps, after the car had been sitting still in the garage after a ride, maybe half houre later. The intake filter (filter itself) was 130°C...WTF :s. Airbox itself 115°C....that was after 15 minutes driving (some pushes) but already sitting in garage with hood closed.

This info proves my point, and is REALLY helpful thank you, the intake pipe is so closer to the manifold its cooking all the air that passes through it, causing massive heat soak all year round. YOU WONT need to take the manifolds off, this stuff will just lay on top of the manifold, even if you did take manifolds off you can't wrap them anyway due to their shape, my idea is fitted in minutes watch this 750°f down to 140°f:

WATCH ON YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSqbj481S6c

MANIFOLD AVAILABLE ON EBAY:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heatshield-Pr ... SwDkVaEB3X

AIR INTAKE SOCKS:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermo-Tec-Co ... 2321780291

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks for the link and that is indeed 'handy/quick' usefull material. I suppose it is simular to what it currently on the hot side of the turbo's. Makes me wonder why they didn't applied it to the manifolds.....i have looked this up before (hence why i decided to go for the ZO thermo coated pipes)...but i remember a talk about in some case coating the manifold is a bad thing. Can't remember, but i though i trapped heat so it was better to be able to radiant its heat off then capsule it?
Keep in mind, especially from the manifolds, all the heat you keep inside instead of xx% that gets radiated outwards, needs to pass through the turbo's making them even hotter (and wear them out quicker?). Just a wild guess why audi didn't do it maybe?
Also read some said the intake tube might get warm, but air going past it goes too fast to soak up the heat (no rocket builder but i think air can heat up far from radiant heat?), hence why i did put some heat reflecting tape on mine. Just wondering where it still picks up that much heat, i suppose inside the turbo (turbine between cold and hot side and the shell)? I know one guy that modified stock turbo's and coated them (not sure what coat), but on the russian turbo you clearly see they coated the hot side. The product you showed might help build a buffer (even not much room for building a 'turbo blancket') and again not sure where you can and where you cannot.
Definatly interested and following, especially after i messured my IAT!
You could do meth kit, but read that can be pretty tricky and not meant for daily use.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Won't insulating it prevent it being cooled by the air as you are driving? Not sure where all the hot air is going to end up if you insulate it so much.

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:34 pm
Won't insulating it prevent it being cooled by the air as you are driving? Not sure where all the hot air is going to end up if you insulate it so much.
That was exactly what i tough aswell and why i only isolated what doesn't want heat soak (intake pipes) and what much keep it's heat (downpipes).

finance-nick
1st Gear

Post by finance-nick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:44 am

MikeFish wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:34 pm
Its a common misconception to think that you'd want the heat to escape rather than be trapped in, however this is why such products like ceramic coating, turbo jackets and heat wrap were developed. If you contain the heat within the manifold / downpipe / and or hot side of turbo the air can actually escape quicker as the molecular structure changes, causing less back pressure and more power + at the same time you are controlling heat transfer so many other parts can stay cool.

When heat wrap and turbo jackets first came out, the big power GTR's we're making in some cases 80 BHP more simply down to the above facts - heat control is crucial when you get serious about power and efficiency, and can reduce under bonnet temps in general by 50%+

The best ceramic coating (Zircotec white) only reduces radiant heat by 33%
Where as the manifold armour is a whopping 80%

The most ideal solution here would be to find turbo jackets too and fit them, which is definitely what i'll be doing !! you want all this hot air to escape through the exhaust - this is what causes flames more as the exhaust will super heat

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 am

That was what i tought... Afaik there aren't any plug and play perfect fitting turbo jackets for our turbo's out there (mostly because of the shape or ours). Affraid once you go custom on those, it can turn out very expensive (unless they can be made yourself?). Anything is better then nothing i suppose as long it is burnproof.
Definatly interested even it is just heat armour shield plates.
*i got told by the guy who made my thermo coated downpipe it wasn't going to help much if i extra wrapped it (just saying). I could try wrap them bit extra but not planning to take them out again (unless i fail emission tests).
Feel free to post your finding regarding any plug and play products or solutions ;).

Imho even the small pipes like the turbo cooling and lubrication pipes could use some more insulating imho!! (audi did a small job at putting a small heat wrap around the cooling pipes running to the back near the downpipes. Makes you wonder why they didn't do a proper and full line protection).

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:43 pm

The only issue i see (after having an other look inside the engine bay)...SPACE. Stuff is all very very close too each other and will get hard to properly pack things. Space between the manifold and cold side turbo for example is very tights. Never the less, it should be doable (might need to take some stuff off).
Afaik i tought it is closer to 60% for the armour shields. Never the less, if it doesn't hurt, any help is a bonus.
Watching what the guy advises you :).

Some suggested stuff like KillerChiller (standalone) that helps cool down coolant, wish can be a good thing. Still think you need an 'instant' chiller to cool your peak moments (meth?) but there it gets 'dangerous' and read good/bad things and no decent daily use kits afaik.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”