How long are CCB expected to last?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
VARSITY
4th Gear

How long are CCB expected to last?

Post by VARSITY » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:38 pm

To the educated in the above here, I need some help.

If you have been told by the dealer, hearsay or even actual experience, would you tell me your thoughts and knowledge of what distance you think or know that ceramic carbon brakes last.

I'm very interested to hear the thoughts of all. Whether on Audi, RS6 or othe models, Marques etc.

Cheers
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

HYFR
Cruising

Re: How long are CCB expected to last?

Post by HYFR » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:33 pm

Jaguar quote a 4:1 pad:disc ratio, but they use CCM vs. Audi use CCB

danilobandeira
1st Gear

Post by danilobandeira » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:52 am

Mine 5k km (3,1k miles) daily and track days

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

VARSITY
4th Gear

Post by VARSITY » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:43 am

danilobandeira wrote:Mine 5k km (3,1k miles) daily and track days

So, let me get this right, you changed your CCB at 3100miles?

Seriously?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

VARSITY
4th Gear

Post by VARSITY » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 am

HYFR wrote:Jaguar quote a 4:1 pad:disc ratio, but they use CCM vs. Audi use CCB
Do they quote a distance for the discs to last?

Cheers

MartayMcFly
5th Gear

Post by MartayMcFly » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:51 am

100k miles... that's the figure in my head, for some reason.
2001 8L S3 - sold
2008 8P2 S3 - sold
2007 B7 RS4 - sold
2006 B7 RS4 (supercharged) - sold
2016 C7 RS6 - sold
2015 8V RS3 Stage 3 - sold
2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

robf
3rd Gear

Post by robf » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:12 am

If it is purely used as road car, then it's often quoted that the discs will last the life of the car. I have also seen 100k mentioned though (and 40k for pads). However, i've regular cars with normal brakes that have done that sort of mileage so confident the ceramics can easily beat that.

Track use is a different kettle of fish. I would not use a car with ceramics on track unless i was a multi-millionaire.
Current Fleet:
2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2015 Porsche 991 GT3
2015 Porsche 991 Carrera 4 Cab
2012 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2010 Land Rover Defender 5.0 V8

danilobandeira
1st Gear

Post by danilobandeira » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:50 pm

Yes, in track days, you need brakes, i tell to my friends, one lap on the track is 100 miles on the road. Lol

VARSITY
4th Gear

Post by VARSITY » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 am

I know many Porsche drivers that take CCB off and put steele on from delivery. I am not sure this would be an option on the C7?

Even so, why would you do that when you paid £12,500 for the priveledge to have them in the first place? You wouldn't do just to look after the car for the next owner surely....

Cheers

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:59 am

danilobandeira wrote:Mine 5k km (3,1k miles) daily and track days

Humour me here, you track your RS6 that frequently that you need to change the CCB pads & discs every 3.1k miles? As per my earlier question, is that Ceramic compound pads which cost next to nothing or the actual Audi CCB items? Even if you track frequently i think we'd all expect the OEM Audi Ceramics to last much longer than 3.1k miles & it begs the question than at many thousands of ££'s to replace, surely buying a more track focussed car would make more sense?

If you're pushing your RS6 that hard (any road car for that matter) i'd be questioning how long any of the components will last??
Paul
03 Black AmD Stage3 C5 RS6 Saloon (Sold)
05 Blue DMS E60 M5 (Sold)
07 Blue DMS B7 RS4 Saloon (Sold)
10 White Nissan R35 GT-R Premium Edition SVM Stage 4 (Sold)
12 White D4 A8 TDi SE Executive (Sold)
14 Grey LCi F10 M5 (Rejected)
14 Blue DMS Stage 2 LCi F10 M5 (Sold)
17 Grey FFRR Autobiography (Rejected)
17 Black D4 A8 TDi Black Edition (Sold)
18 White APR Stage 2 Golf R 7.5 Estate

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:19 am

I think English is not Danilobandeira's mother tongue, so there maybe a little confusion going on here? 3100 miles for a set of pads, I could just about understand with heavy track use and leaving the ESP switched on.

Audi claimed on the RS4 that Ceramics would last in the region of 150k miles with normal road use. The more advanced ESP systems which are now deployed across the RS product ranges utilise the brakes (torque vectoring) to trim the car for better handling/performance. So I'd expect the longevity to decline a bit more, but I still think approaching 100k miles with normal road use, wouldn't be an unfair ask from the Carbon Ceramics on the RS6.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:I think English is not Danilobandeira's mother tongue, so there maybe a little confusion going on here? 3100 miles for a set of pads, I could just about understand with heavy track use and leaving the ESP switched on.

Audi claimed on the RS4 that Ceramics would last in the region of 150k miles with normal road use. The more advanced ESP systems which are now deployed across the RS product ranges utilise the brakes (torque vectoring) to trim the car for better handling/performance. So I'd expect the longevity to decline a bit more, but I still think approaching 100k miles with normal road use, wouldn't be an unfair ask from the Carbon Ceramics on the RS6.
Agreed, but surely not with the OEM Audi Ceramics, unless the car spends all its time on track? Standard pads with heavy use including track work i'd certainly expect 3100 miles to be realistic if not optimistic as i've killed rear pads on my car very quickly, as you say the ESP applies braking & on the M5 this is biased to the rears when the TC light's flickering. But surely the OEM ceramics should last considerably longer than 3100 miles?
Paul
03 Black AmD Stage3 C5 RS6 Saloon (Sold)
05 Blue DMS E60 M5 (Sold)
07 Blue DMS B7 RS4 Saloon (Sold)
10 White Nissan R35 GT-R Premium Edition SVM Stage 4 (Sold)
12 White D4 A8 TDi SE Executive (Sold)
14 Grey LCi F10 M5 (Rejected)
14 Blue DMS Stage 2 LCi F10 M5 (Sold)
17 Grey FFRR Autobiography (Rejected)
17 Black D4 A8 TDi Black Edition (Sold)
18 White APR Stage 2 Golf R 7.5 Estate

Trups
Trader (Expired)

Post by Trups » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:53 pm

VARSITY wrote:I know many Porsche drivers that take CCB off and put steele on from delivery. I am not sure this would be an option on the C7?

Even so, why would you do that when you paid £12,500 for the priveledge to have them in the first place? You wouldn't do just to look after the car for the next owner surely....

Cheers
Doodle know most things porsches, he may be able to shed light on this but I have heard this too and too find it odd that they remove them, surly if you have the money to buy a 100k+ car swapping ramics ain't going to be a big deal if you ruin the ramics?
Phantom Black C6 RS6 - ex Classba battleship
Mugello C6 RS6 5.0 TFSi AVANT - Gone.

If you have any quieries for interior or exterior LED's then get in touch.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:15 pm

VARSITY wrote:
HYFR wrote:Jaguar quote a 4:1 pad:disc ratio, but they use CCM vs. Audi use CCB
Do they quote a distance for the discs to last?

Cheers

The distance depends on how they are used. The pad to disc ratio takes into account usage

i.e. I am about to replace my front pads on my CCM car at 20k miles ... I've done various track days and hard road driving, so thats about right I would say

normal road use, I wouldn't expect front pads for 30 - 35k at least.

the biggest issue with ceramics is managing the heat - yes they can still perform at high temps, but they need to be cooled down, else you can delaminate the surface of the disk - this is why they are not preferred for serious track day cars

Jaguar actually have optional brake ducts specifically for the F-TYPE that are to be fit before a track day, that channel air to the brakes to cool them, and then should be removed for road driving to avoid road stones being sucked up into the brakes

HTH

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:28 pm

HYFR wrote:
The distance depends on how they are used. The pad to disc ratio takes into account usage

i.e. I am about to replace my front pads on my CCM car at 20k miles ... I've done various track days and hard road driving, so thats about right I would say

normal road use, I wouldn't expect front pads for 30 - 35k at least.
I've not heard of that 4:1 ratio mate, but think it's spot on really from my experience as well :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”