Intermittent Misfire

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Paulm
Top Gear

Re: Intermittent Misfire

Post by Paulm » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:53 pm

Leo-RS wrote:
doodlebug wrote:Come on, this isn't hot. OEM plugs should be fine. This engine is used in many applications.
Okay, I wrote that for the good of my health there Doodlebug, just made it up and I'm lying. You caught me out :thumb:

Simply relaying what the chaps at MRC recommended and as to the reason why. The standard plugs even running standard boost have a tendency to throw up misfires but then I guess I'm lying there too.

1.2 bar upto 1.6 bar, not just in the RS6 but a lot of tuners change out the plugs for a grade cooler on all platforms. What's strange about this? Have you ever modified a car before? :shock:

Paul, if you follow MRC's Facebook/Instagram page you will see them comment frequently how Tesco 99 outperforms Shell's V power. They afterall have a dyno which is a little more accurate than your butt dyno and have won tuner of the year for about the last 8.

As to times, my car was hitting 0-100 in 6.2 back in February, yesterday when I tested, 6.6. You're seriously not trying to tell me that you're rewriting the physics books are you? You never tested Summer vs Winter performance Paul? Surprising seeing as you're a tuner yourself.

RS6's in Australia or Dubai, or California will not run the same performance times as we do here in Europe without running better cooling or higher octane. Best running NA cars in hot climates

ooooh, feisty :lol:

Yes I agree engines produce less power in hotter conditions and / or at altitude but @ 25c they don't all melt and fall apart.

Best fuel in the Uk is a difficult statement to justify no matter how you look at it. One of the better readily available fuels at preventing det is a better description surely??

That pic of the plugs has nothing to do with heat (well it kind of does). Overly aggressive octane booster and too much ignition advance caused that mess.

Take it back to basics, karting. When we run minimal squish and very tight tolerances on our kart it is a right bitch to fuel properly, popping, banging and farting. Open up the squish (less compression ) and a monkey could get the fuelling good enough for it to run ok. Same goes for these new breed of engines. High compression (for forced induction) high boost and optimised ignition advance for power and fuel economy. Things are getting tricky even on standard spec never mind throwing in some ecu tweaking. Everything component has to be spot (plugs included) on for them to run right. When they do, they perform very well compared to the old cossies etc with huge lag and poor of boost running.

On a standard C7 RS6 they will run with any fuel and standard plugs, after all I guess other than they guys on the forum most spend their time on 95 ron going to the shops with the odd blast for fun.

Not meaning to have a go but some of your statements and rather sweeping in nature.
BMW 540i
2018 GTR
F90 M5
X3MC
RS3 Saloon
RS7 FL best car I've owned. No faith in turbo oil screen (turbos failing) or sticking oil scraper ring causing missfires.
F10 M5 LCI still no rear grip lol
S7 black Edition Too big and heavy
S3 8V FL DSG 310ps, road noise is a joke
RS3 8P Rubbish
C7 RS6 Fantastic car but missed playing
GTR R35 800bhp, too extreme, crazy fast though
911 Turbo Remapped. Hated it
F10 M5, awesome but no rear grip
RS6 V10 700BHP crazy
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 600bhp

andywaddy
1st Gear

Intermittent Misfire

Post by andywaddy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:12 pm

UPDATE....

It turns out Audi have recognised there is an issue and have released a technical bulletin on the 13th July about a software irregularity causing a cylinder 5 misfire. Apparently there is no fix as yet but I'd assume a software fix is imminent. I've attached the bulletin. Does anybody know of the irregularity which could possibly cause this?
I'll update the thread again when I've had notification of the software release.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Thats good news right? Audi have acknowledged there is a software problem so there nothing actually wrong with your car and they are working on a solution most likely of the software variety.

robf
3rd Gear

Post by robf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Good news. But then i have a 16 plate PE too, so guess that will be done at next service if not a recall?
Current Fleet:
2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2015 Porsche 991 GT3
2015 Porsche 991 Carrera 4 Cab
2012 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2010 Land Rover Defender 5.0 V8

wildbore
4th Gear

Post by wildbore » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Interesting it only occurs at torque in excess of 750Nm. Presumably, any car with these faults logged in any number can be assumed to have been flashed.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:23 pm

wildbore wrote:Interesting it only occurs at torque in excess of 750Nm. Presumably, any car with these faults logged in any number can be assumed to have been flashed.
Yes.....and there's an interesting note at the bottom around warranty. Unless the torque limit being exceeded is part of the problem. Could get ugly though for sure.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:44 pm

My standard car dyno'd at 888Nm at MRC.
Dont forget Audis under estimate for the PE is 750Nm on overboost.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:49 pm

I bet that changes if it is a factor.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:56 pm

I'll check my car when I'm back in the uk to see how many misfires its had. Not noticed any obvious problems so far.

andywaddy
1st Gear

Post by andywaddy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:57 pm

MikeFish wrote:Thats good news right? Audi have acknowledged there is a software problem so there nothing actually wrong with your car and they are working on a solution most likely of the software variety.
Definitely good news yes!
Saves me swapping any more coils and sparks Image
Just awaiting the software fix now but the funny thing is, after swapping the coil out for a brand new one, it hasn't missed a beat since...typical ey!

andywaddy
1st Gear

Post by andywaddy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:10 am

MikeFish wrote:I'll check my car when I'm back in the uk to see how many misfires its had. Not noticed any obvious problems so far.
Mike,

Just wondering if you'd gotten round to checking those misfire values on VCDS? Curious as to what your cylinder 5 is up to, being a similar age to mine.

Thanks,
A

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:47 am

Sorry I forgot. I'll do it tomorrow night if I dont go out drinking otherwise I'll check on Saturday.

andywaddy
1st Gear

Post by andywaddy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:24 am

MikeFish wrote:Sorry I forgot. I'll do it tomorrow night if I dont go out drinking otherwise I'll check on Saturday.
Haha, sounds like you've got your priorities in perfect order!Image

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:14 am

Sorry for the late response, its been manic this week. Anyway, I just went out to plug it in and this is what I saw:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:17 am

Looking back at yours, mine seems worse!

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”