New Milltek sounds broken?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Jimpoole12
Neutral

New Milltek sounds broken?

Post by Jimpoole12 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 am

Had a non resonated milltek fitted last weekend and am not happy at all with the sound!

https://youtu.be/y9nBBbYPpYs

Would you agree that it doesn't sound right at all? There is a terrible sound on the over run, which is there with the flaps closed but a lot more noticable when they are open (as in the vid clip).

I took it back to the garage that fitted it and they said, it is the waste gate on the flaps from the turbo causing the sound? I know nothing about engines, but i just can't believe it is supposed to sound like this!? All the other clips on you tube sound great.

Contacted Milltek direct and am waiting for a appointment date next week to take it up to them.

Would appreciate any thoughts?

RS6chris!
Cruising

Re: New Milltek sounds broken?

Post by RS6chris! » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:30 am

Broken or loose baffles in back boxes??
RS6 C8 carbon black(merlin)
RS6 C8 launch edition
R8 V10 plus
C7 RS6 PE dynamic pack plus
C7 RS6
Porsche Panamera Turbo
C6 RS6 AVANT
RS4 B7
Golf R32 mk 5
BMW M3 E46
Golf R32 mk 5
Golf GTI mk 5
VW Passat 130d 4 motion
VW bora 150pd
Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6
Ford Focus zetec
Rover 214!!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Not sure but it doesn't sound right for sure.

GW2016
Neutral

Post by GW2016 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Yeah definitely doesn't sound right, hopefully you find out whats going on. :thumbsdown:

smanek
Neutral

Post by smanek » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:50 am

mine sounds exactly the same

only done 1500 miles with mine

i thought thats how its meant to be as mine was like that from the start!!!

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Milltek non-res valved on my S6 C7. Afaik this is how a milltek sounds, at least mine sounds like this aswell...and yes i actually like the 'raspy/unrefined' sound.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/977 ... 419138.mp4

RS6chris!
Cruising

Post by RS6chris! » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:43 pm

smanek wrote:mine sounds exactly the same

only done 1500 miles with mine

i thought thats how its meant to be as mine was like that from the start!!!

Not sure if serious??

Believe me I have a non res Milltek and it don't sound like that!!
RS6 C8 carbon black(merlin)
RS6 C8 launch edition
R8 V10 plus
C7 RS6 PE dynamic pack plus
C7 RS6
Porsche Panamera Turbo
C6 RS6 AVANT
RS4 B7
Golf R32 mk 5
BMW M3 E46
Golf R32 mk 5
Golf GTI mk 5
VW Passat 130d 4 motion
VW bora 150pd
Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6
Ford Focus zetec
Rover 214!!

Jimpoole12
Neutral

Post by Jimpoole12 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:56 am

Took the car to Milltek in Derby yesterday for them to take a look at.

Both the Managing director and development engineer had a listen and agreed it doesn't sound right. They said they have had one other instance where a C7 RS6 was making a noise similar to this and changing out the rear silencers to a slightly differently configured pair solved the issue. So they went ahead and changed them and now the rattling/clicking noise is still there but only slightly less audible. They are also ordering a revised centre section as they believe there is a build up of gas causing this noise (?). That should be here in 10 days and they have recommended a local dealer to fit for me. They think this should solve the problem.....

The issue I have now is that the noise is still there and the new rear silencers have completely changed the noise of the car when the valves are open. The raspy, throaty noise with the pops and bangs (which is why I went with a non resonated milltek in the first place) has gone and instead is a deeper, more basey sound (deeper than the Akro sound) and the pops and bangs are hardly audible. I spoke with Milltek when i got home yesterday and told them my concerns and they said wait until we send out the revised centre section and then fit that with my original rear silencers.

It is all a bit of a pain in the balls and I'm totally gutted if i'm honest as I was looking forward to the noise of the non res. What is different about my car to all the other RS6's?! I have a feeling the new centre section won't make a difference and i'll be getting my money back and putting my old sports exhaust back on.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:24 am

I thought it sounded like there was an issue with the car rather than the exhaust system. Maybe try looking at that then you can go back to the original milltek sound.
On the other hand, for the akra loving people I'm sure if milltek did a similar sounding exhaust for the normal milltek price they would sell more.

Jimpoole12
Neutral

Post by Jimpoole12 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:27 am

Nope, the car was absolutely fine with the sports exhaust on. The funny noise only started when the Milltek was fitted.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:49 am

Jimpoole12 wrote:Nope, the car was absolutely fine with the sports exhaust on. The funny noise only started when the Milltek was fitted.
Maybe the fault was always there but disguised by the oem exhaust.

Jimpoole12
Neutral

Post by Jimpoole12 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:02 pm

I've noticed since I've had the exhaust fitted the car isn't running smoothly, seems to over rev sometimes if that makes any sense. Almost like the engine is unbalanced.

Do I need to get a remap? Wish I'd left exhaust alone now!

robf
3rd Gear

Post by robf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:49 am

I am involved in the quality management industry and noticed some years ago that they are 'certified' by a body without accreditation (i.e. you get a certificate if you hand over money). It's then i realised Miltek was more about marketing than actual quality.

They managed to get popular by showing huge gains on turbocharged applications, and they managed to get on the VAG bandwagon as just about anything VW/Audi related uses forced induction. The breadth of exhausts they now provide for VAG cars therefore makes them pretty much a go-to place.

Sadly, every now and then someon will suffer as a consequence of buying the cheaper option. Sorry in this case it's you, but i imagine many have had no issues. I doubt i'll bother with changing mine as Miltek is too cheap and Akra is too overkill!
Current Fleet:
2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2015 Porsche 991 GT3
2015 Porsche 991 Carrera 4 Cab
2012 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2010 Land Rover Defender 5.0 V8

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:47 pm

robf wrote:I am involved in the quality management industry and noticed some years ago that they are 'certified' by a body without accreditation (i.e. you get a certificate if you hand over money). It's then i realised Miltek was more about marketing than actual quality.

They managed to get popular by showing huge gains on turbocharged applications, and they managed to get on the VAG bandwagon as just about anything VW/Audi related uses forced induction. The breadth of exhausts they now provide for VAG cars therefore makes them pretty much a go-to place.

Sadly, every now and then someon will suffer as a consequence of buying the cheaper option. Sorry in this case it's you, but i imagine many have had no issues. I doubt i'll bother with changing mine as Miltek is too cheap and Akra is too overkill!
Rob, you sbould try the mod I have done to mine.

John Johnson
5th Gear

Post by John Johnson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 pm

robf wrote:I am involved in the quality management industry and noticed some years ago that they are 'certified' by a body without accreditation (i.e. you get a certificate if you hand over money). It's then i realised Miltek was more about marketing than actual quality.

You've pretty much summed it up there , a lot are crap and ive seen loads fail .
Current toys in the garage
B7 avant in Daytona with ceramics and a few other goodies and lowwwww miles :-)
Ur quattro. lago Blue
Ur quattro. Mars red

Rs1600i
Transit custom sportvan

http://youtu.be/FWBUl7oT9sA

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”