New Milltek sounds broken?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Leo-RS
3rd Gear

Re: New Milltek sounds broken?

Post by Leo-RS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:44 pm

Jimpoole12 wrote:I've noticed since I've had the exhaust fitted the car isn't running smoothly, seems to over rev sometimes if that makes any sense. Almost like the engine is unbalanced.

Do I need to get a remap? Wish I'd left exhaust alone now!
Are you just running a catback or are you running a full turbo back setup? ( Catless or sports car downpipes?)

If you are running a full exhaust system, yes, you will require a remap, 100%. If running a catback system, you shouldn't really need a remap but these cars are so sensitive and each car is different so if it's not running great and seems to be over revving/over spooling then you probably could benefit from a remap to resolve. You've added aftermarket parts and expecting the standard software to adjust afterall.
MY16 Audi RS6

Jimpoole12
Neutral

Post by Jimpoole12 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:51 pm

It's a non resonated catback. Been a total nightmare since I had it put on. Makes a strange knocking/ticking noise that Milltek have heard before on a couple of C7 RS6's but can't seem to give me a definitive answer as to what causes it. They've changed the rear silencers which didn't help (and that has completely changed the tone of the exhaust. It is now very basey), and they are manufacturing a new centre bit of the exhaust which they will send to my local fitter. They 'hope' this will work.

It's going back in tomorrow to have the original sports exhaust put back on and I've told them I'll try the new centre bit when it's made, but if that doesn't work we've agreed I'll get a full refund. I hope with the original exhaust on the car should return to 'normal'?

All been a massive pain in the nuts.

Mike, does the mod you have done still let you open/close the valves? Does it produce the Milltek type sound?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Yes. I have deleted the front and centre resonators which gives it much more noise. You can have the valves still connected so they open and close as normal but I have mine permanently disconnected to give that nicer sound in the lower revs of the lower gears when the valves normally close (even in 'open' mode).
I'm not sure what it sounds like with the mod and the valves connected as I had them disconnected from before the mod was carried out.

6psp
Neutral

Post by 6psp » Sat May 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi guys. I’ve got exactly the same issue as the OP. Does anyone know anything further about the fix and if replacing the exhaust solves the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat May 04, 2019 8:50 pm

6psp wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:31 pm
Hi guys. I’ve got exactly the same issue as the OP. Does anyone know anything further about the fix and if replacing the exhaust solves the issue? Any help would be appreciated.
There was a more recent thread where others reported a similar issue which was resolved by squirting a bit of WD40 into the tailpipe. Not sure if it's the same issue for you.

uplandsway
3rd Gear

Post by uplandsway » Mon May 06, 2019 4:33 am

MikeFish wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:50 pm
6psp wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:31 pm
There was a more recent thread where others reported a similar issue which was resolved by squirting a bit of WD40 into the tailpipe. Not sure if it's the same issue for you.
As Mike said, good squirt of WD40 into the tailpipes and work the exhaust valves before doing anything.
Cheers,
Stevie F
2016 C7.5 RS6 Performance

Cook
Neutral

Post by Cook » Tue May 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Mine sounds the same !! Strange chirping noise on overun. I have sprayed copious amounts of every lubricant known to man but to no avail. Stripped it back last week to change the milltek actuators to the audi ones from sports exhaust, and checked the valves at the time. They dont seem to close fully fast enough causing the exhaust gas to be squeezed through a smaller gap in the apperture ??? But anyway still the same noise.
I have given up with it tbh as sick of the drone at higher speeds on the motorway / autobahn as do a lot of miles in europe each year. 100mph is very noticable with excessive cabin noise. Sitting in the back seat is pretty harsh. So now want an Akrapovic so if anyone has one for sale. Please send me a message.
Cook

Alpina B5 touring e61
Audi RS6 Vorsprung
Lancia Delta Evo2 Blu Swaters
Bmw e30 conv. 3.5 ltr M30
Bmw e30 M3 1989
Porsche 911 Turbo X50 2004
Peugeot 205gti 1.9

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Jimpoole12 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:20 am
Had a non resonated milltek fitted last weekend and am not happy at all with the sound!

https://youtu.be/y9nBBbYPpYs

Would you agree that it doesn't sound right at all? There is a terrible sound on the over run, which is there with the flaps closed but a lot more noticable when they are open (as in the vid clip).

I took it back to the garage that fitted it and they said, it is the waste gate on the flaps from the turbo causing the sound? I know nothing about engines, but i just can't believe it is supposed to sound like this!? All the other clips on you tube sound great.

Contacted Milltek direct and am waiting for a appointment date next week to take it up to them.

Would appreciate any thoughts?
When you bought Miltek? Maybe it’s a problem with new exhaust I have 2015 model Miltek exhaust none resonated and sounds brutal no problems at all, sometimes flap stuck but spraying wd40 helps a lot

gary.gary.gary
Neutral

Post by gary.gary.gary » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:11 pm

Hi Guys

I had a new Milltek non-res cat-back fitted yesterday. It sounds awesome in general, exactly what I wanted. But I have the chirpy sounds on overrun too. Noticed this morning while driving in built up area.

The sound seems to last (duration) the same amount of time in all situations. Road or engine speed don't seem to make a difference (I think). I'm assuming its engine/turbo noise that was previously muffled and is now more audible.

I had the guys at Midlands VW install it, and I'm back in on Thursday for a few bits, so I'll be asking them. But by the sounds of this thread, it's a common issue rather than an issue with my particular exhaust (and yours).

Would you agree or should I try to get it sorted??

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:32 pm

Could be that a valve flaps vibrating

nukkiz276
Neutral

Post by nukkiz276 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I just installed a milltek catback non reso exhaust and I hear a very annoying metallic sound when decelerating at ±2500rpm
Here is a link to a video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahr924lddqziz ... 5.mov?dl=0

Possibly a DP failure ?

RS6 C7 2018
Stock DPs
I have 3 years warranty left

Thanks !

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:18 pm

Don’t know very hard to hear from video, but mine sounds similar I also have stock dps and none resonated exhaust, try wd40 exhaust flaps, are they properly closing and opens? In a video you drive in dynamic? How long you had exhaust installed? Which year of production is it?

nukkiz276
Neutral

Post by nukkiz276 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:24 pm

Tadass910 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:18 pm
Don’t know very hard to hear from video, but mine sounds similar I also have stock dps and none resonated exhaust, try wd40 exhaust flaps, are they properly closing and opens? In a video you drive in dynamic? How long you had exhaust installed? Which year of production is it?
my car is a 2018, exhaust I don't know when it was produced but took 3weeks to arrive.

I unplugged the valve, so they're always opened
But the actuator is linked with the coil, so it should not move.
Maybe I should remove them physically ?

Its installed since 2weeks and the noise directly came after installation was done.

MountainMutant
3rd Gear

Post by MountainMutant » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:17 pm

My car also makes this fluttering noise with a non res catback Miltek

I had it on the ramp with a torch looking up the pipes with gentle revving as presumed it was the flaps but they are open and not moving (miltek delete module).

The noise is either an engine noise being amplified or the baffles are broken in the box. Only the offside box is making the noise

MM
2017 RS6 PE Nogaro 💙

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:35 pm

Interesting to see then and to hear how should proper Miltek none resonated exhaust + stock Downpipes sound?

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”