Help All 4 wheels buckled

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
innercry666
3rd Gear

Re: Help All 4 wheels buckled

Post by innercry666 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Whatever you do, make sure you report this to Trading Standards via Citizens Advice. This will at least lend some weight to whatever you say to Audi as it shows that you are serious and it will add pressure onto Audi to help resolve the issue. As it's wheels it may even be considered a safety issue. If there are other owners who have reported the same thing, mention that as well and if possible advise them to report.

Also write to Auto Express and see if they can bring some of their influence to help resolve the issue.

It may also be possible to use technical info to back up your case:
I would expect that wheels are manufactured to comply with certain standards (size and durability to name two) and that there must be some kind of testing completed to demonstrate that these types of wheels have met those standards - Fatigue testing etc.

Ask Audi to tell you what standards the wheels should have been manufactured to and what testing they will have completed as that should tell you what they should be able to withstand in terms of forces etc. They should have a fairly significant margin of safety built into them, therefore the force required to buckle the wheels should be fairly significant. You could then argue that to have that level of force applied to the car there would have been other obvious damage to the wheels and the car. That would then lend weight to the argument that it the buckled wheels are caused by a manufacturing defect for that batch of wheels as opposed to 'operator error'.

See if you can also put the onus on Audi to demonstrate how you can buckle the wheels whilst driving. If they can say it's your fault they must be able to demonstrate how it's your fault...

Hope it helps anyway as I hate to see Audi taking the p**s out of their customers, RS or otherwise and getting away with it!
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

robf
3rd Gear

Post by robf » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:43 pm

Some good suggestions there.

You never know, asking them to demonstrate specifics on the wheels may escalate the issue. Surely simpler for them to replace the wheels.
Current Fleet:
2016 Audi RS6 Performance
2015 Porsche 991 GT3
2015 Porsche 991 Carrera 4 Cab
2012 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2010 Land Rover Defender 5.0 V8

Bit_evl
3rd Gear

Post by Bit_evl » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:17 am

Lets not totally roast Audi at this point. As you correctly highlight there are standards. What if there was a bad batch that was not correctly treated from a sub-supplier. Do you test every wheel you fit ?

I agree - get the standards, see if a test is possible. Search for non-distructive testing in google there are surprisingly few but they are good. It might be worth a chat on the phone with them to see if there is anything they can do to test the strength of the alloy. Even a word with one of the F1 guys or race teams at a track to see how they test their wheels.

I do agree that Audi need to be held up for this one until at least a test is performed. Trading standards will need some evidence of the fail.

scottie1979
4th Gear

Post by scottie1979 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 am

Looked into the repair option but it is a no go as all 4 are twisted not buckled (flatspot) so cant be repaired.

Next course of action is to go through the hoops audi uk advised to do next - return to the supplying dealer to inspect. So i have to book it in at LD Audi (3 hours way) to be told the same thing - and then take up the argument with them.

All 4 wheels twisted - cant get my head around it.

scottie1979
4th Gear

Post by scottie1979 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:41 am

if anyone spots a good deal on ebay please post or PM me. Black 21"

superlightr
2nd Gear

Post by superlightr » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:02 pm

scottie1979 wrote:
All 4 wheels twisted - cant get my head around it.

some torque these RS6s have !!! :sekret:

VARSITY
4th Gear

Post by VARSITY » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Sounds like the problems with the RS4 B5 from the past.

I had 2 wheels replaced by the dealer on the C7.

Cheers
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

almoRS
3rd Gear

Post by almoRS » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:32 pm

OK. So i eventually took my car in to have the "judder" looked at today and Audi confirmed that all 4 wheels are buckled. The technician spoke with me directly and reported that it is a common problem they have seen, not just on RS6's. They have put new weights on and re-balanced the wheels and I havn't got any judder at the moment but they did say to come back if I did. I asked about warranty but unfortunately its a tricky one. The roads around the North East of Scotland are some of the worst in the UK (as some of you fellow Aberdonians will agree!) Just google the outstanding roads repair estimate for Aberdeen City Council and it says it all.

Anyway, I have new aftermarket flow formed wheels on order and due soon so I am not going to do anything about it at the moment.
RS3 Saloon, Merlin Purple, incoming.....
S3 Sportback Black Edition, Panther Black, BBS CHs
Previous:
RS6 C7 Riviera Blue, Carbon Pack, Sports exhaust, BC Forged HS04
C63 AMG Coupe, Fire Opal Red, Performance Pack, HRE P44SC's
RS4 B7 Saloon, Avus Silver, HRE P40s, Tubi exhaust
Volvo S60 R Black Saphire, Evolve Suspension + aerodynamics, BMC
Volvo S40 T4 Standard

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:56 pm

So both cases here were from Scotland. Are the bad roads to blame? Surely OEM wheels should be strong enough to deal with any proper roads?

Heden
1st Gear

Post by Heden » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 pm

This is some food for thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05gODNU04Q

almoRS
3rd Gear

Post by almoRS » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 pm

Seen that vid before it's about poor replicas. These are OEM Audi.
RS3 Saloon, Merlin Purple, incoming.....
S3 Sportback Black Edition, Panther Black, BBS CHs
Previous:
RS6 C7 Riviera Blue, Carbon Pack, Sports exhaust, BC Forged HS04
C63 AMG Coupe, Fire Opal Red, Performance Pack, HRE P44SC's
RS4 B7 Saloon, Avus Silver, HRE P40s, Tubi exhaust
Volvo S60 R Black Saphire, Evolve Suspension + aerodynamics, BMC
Volvo S40 T4 Standard

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:21 pm

Heden wrote:This is some food for thought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g05gODNU04Q
That is what I'd expect though, the OEM wheels are proved to be tough enough to survive, but that's not what we are seeing here with the RS6 wheels.

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:22 am

Poor roads is a cop out. Audi should replace the wheels of their design is so marginal they can be damaged by that. I'd be making a hell of a lot of noise to Audi's head office if I were you, just not acceptable.
I was a quality engineer for General Motors for 7 years, this should not be accepted on a $20k car let alone a bloody RS6!

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:03 am

This is why I went with 20 inch wheels. Roads around here are crap and having buckled numerous wheels on 5 series BMW I was warned off 21 inchers by another RS6 owner.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:38 am

AlexB7RS4 wrote:Poor roads is a cop out. Audi should replace the wheels of their design is so marginal they can be damaged by that. I'd be making a hell of a lot of noise to Audi's head office if I were you, just not acceptable.
I was a quality engineer for General Motors for 7 years, this should not be accepted on a $20k car let alone a bloody RS6!
Unlikely to be a problem on a General Motors type car, but on a 2 tonne machine on ultra low profile 21 inch wheels it is always going to be a risk. Laws of physics still apply however much the car costs. I have had it happen lots of times on Porsche and BMW too.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”