Lowering and / or spacers

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
VARSITY
4th Gear

Re: Lowering and / or spacers

Post by VARSITY » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Andy_W wrote:Looks like they have reacted to something. Have you checked the wheels as well as they are the same material?
A aluminium spacer against a alu wheel and hub shouldn't react like that. Alloy wheels can corrode badly if salt is left in for long periods so perhaps that's what's happened
As I said above, the car has never knowingly had any reactive chemicals sprayed on the car, it clear matte wrap over Teak Brown so we know not to because it will ruin the wrap.

The rest of the car is very good, as are the wheels, inside and out.

We do travel a lot across Europe, but no more or less than anyone else living there, or in Scotland say where it is cold and salted roads through winter.

The delimitation really is shocking. The last picture is where I pulled the edge by hand and it broke away!!!

I think a good pothole may have caused the spacer to shatter and fall apart.

Cheers
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

RS6chris!
Cruising

Post by RS6chris! » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Wow

Naughty!

I'm no metal expert but to me it's got to be something that's came in contact with the Ali and caused a reaction?

Sure no ones had your motor to a Turkish car wash or even local stealer using brick cleaner acid on wheels to clean without your knowledge? Once the reaction has started I assume it will quickly deteriorate?

Shocking behaviour by Eibach too.

I've always ran H and R never had any issues at all...even after a couple of years the Ali is as shiny as a shithouse door.
RS6 C8 carbon black(merlin)
RS6 C8 launch edition
R8 V10 plus
C7 RS6 PE dynamic pack plus
C7 RS6
Porsche Panamera Turbo
C6 RS6 AVANT
RS4 B7
Golf R32 mk 5
BMW M3 E46
Golf R32 mk 5
Golf GTI mk 5
VW Passat 130d 4 motion
VW bora 150pd
Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6
Ford Focus zetec
Rover 214!!

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Ah, you obviously went for the Welsh slate ones. Look smart but flake ;)

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:50 pm

Was it just one of the spacers or all of them?

boff
5th Gear

Post by boff » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Lips are sealed.

OK ish, mate if I did like spacers... I'd be pissed beyond belief with those. They could have shattered easily, especially if you'd done one of your high speed trips into Europe and heated them up a bit, I guess they could have crumbled and as the load increased from the studs began to spin and flex and finally.... No spacer left and over two tonnes riding on elongated studs. Although them it may have looked slammed... or stanced!

I'd go TUV straight away, as you say it is clearly a safety issue.

Erm "dear customer" buy some more parts that might kill your family again, whilst we work out why the first ones nearly killed your family.....

Can you imagine the report after the accident? Dear Varsity - we have concluded that the reason you crashed is because you fitted more TUV approved spacers that failed in the same way as the ones you reported to the manufacturer as faulty failed.

Spacers or no Spacers that is terrible customer service, and negligent.
Zero Drama

m14rrv
2nd Gear

Post by m14rrv » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:15 pm

RS6chris! wrote:Standard ride height with spacers
Are you going for the kW Spring/ coilover kit
b7 rs4 avant

VARSITY
4th Gear

Post by VARSITY » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:21 pm

Shouldn't matter if the car has been cleaned by the Polish, Turkish or Albanians (no racism intended) as this still shouldn't cause any issues.

3 are really bad and one is reasonable but starting to degrade.

You can actually see the way it looks like the spacer is made from a winding of aluminium rather than a forged or billet piece, which is what the motorsport guy said.

leys see what the next few days bring. They should at least be given an opportunity to reply.

Cheers
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

VARSITY
4th Gear

Post by VARSITY » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:22 pm

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I'll get back in my box.

Cheers

RS6chris!
Cruising

Post by RS6chris! » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:01 pm

m14rrv wrote:

Yep

Getting fitted next week :thumbs:
RS6 C8 carbon black(merlin)
RS6 C8 launch edition
R8 V10 plus
C7 RS6 PE dynamic pack plus
C7 RS6
Porsche Panamera Turbo
C6 RS6 AVANT
RS4 B7
Golf R32 mk 5
BMW M3 E46
Golf R32 mk 5
Golf GTI mk 5
VW Passat 130d 4 motion
VW bora 150pd
Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6
Ford Focus zetec
Rover 214!!

feeltheburn
2nd Gear

Post by feeltheburn » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:30 pm

What metal were the additional bolts made from that you used to secure the wheels/spacers?
RS6 C7 (2014), Daytona Pearl, 21" Titanium, On Air, LEDs, Sports Exhaust, Dynamic Steering, Red Calipers, ACC, Top View, Connect, Tints, Rear Side Airbags, Rear heated seats; MP4S

Nigelo2
Neutral

Post by Nigelo2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:29 pm

The only circumstance I can think of where a reputable manufacturer declines support is if the parts were counterfeit. Not long back, there were a spate of brake discs with Brembo markings doing the rounds in Ferrari and Maserati circles that were very clearly not original. Counterfeit wheels and brake parts also featured on BBC's Watchdog at the time. Of course, the parts may well be genuine but very strange that Eibach have not sold these in the UK for 8 years.

Given this, why are you not seeking redress under the SoG Act from the actual supplier or was this through Ebay?

m14rrv
2nd Gear

Post by m14rrv » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:29 pm

RS6chris! wrote:
m14rrv wrote:

Yep

Getting fitted next week :thumbs:

Great pmd him last week to see what deal he could do
b7 rs4 avant

VARSITY
4th Gear

Post by VARSITY » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:35 pm

Nigelo2 wrote:The only circumstance I can think of where a reputable manufacturer declines support is if the parts were counterfeit. Not long back, there were a spate of brake discs with Brembo markings doing the rounds in Ferrari and Maserati circles that were very clearly not original. Counterfeit wheels and brake parts also featured on BBC's Watchdog at the time. Of course, the parts may well be genuine but very strange that Eibach have not sold these in the UK for 8 years.

Given this, why are you not seeking redress under the SoG Act from the actual supplier or was this through Ebay?
You raise some very valid points Nigel.

I can only think that these were supplied in good faith as genuine items (not ebay), for many reasons but for the mostly because there has never been a counterfeit example of this for Eibach, I am told. They have had issues with springs in the past, but not spacers.

Eibach, are, in fairness to them, taking this very seriously and will now send the items to Germany to decide why these have failed so badly.

The spacers are clearly marked with their part numbers and also batch numbering.

Lets see what next week brings.

Cheers

VARSITY
4th Gear

Post by VARSITY » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:00 am

As for the failed spacers from Eibach.

I can confirm that the problem has been visited by Eibach in Germany and that they will be doing what they can to ensure these are dealt with as a manufacturer should.

Replacements have been offered and the issue is now closed.

Cheers

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:28 pm

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”