RS6 C7 Brake Judder!

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
HDPete
3rd Gear

Re: RS6 C7 Brake Judder!

Post by HDPete » Wed May 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Does this problem exist on facelift 2016 cars?

zzz
2nd Gear

Post by zzz » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:40 am

Long overdue update.

After a significant battle with my dealer (I drove it incorrectly, I must have a weird braking technique, I've been sitting on hot breaks etc) ... They had the car just over a week, apparently the managers of each cost centre were fighting with each other on who was going to pick up the tab :roll: The service department agreed there was a problem (warped front nearside) but as it was a "consumable part" the cost should be assigned to sales. Internal politics that I shouldn't have had to deal with.

The problem appeared a 2k miles, went away a bit then got so bad by 4k that I thought the vibration would do further damage to the car (I only drove 200 miles home & straight to audi at that point).

Anyway, new pads & disks on the front was the outcome so asides the delay in them getting their finger out it was a good outcome. I hope it doesn't happen again.

zebede
2nd Gear

Post by zebede » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:55 am

I've just had a similar problem, took car into dealer Tuesday, the brakes have apparently not been allowed to cool and have resultant cracking to the centre of the discs.
Firstly I do drive quick, but never thrashing it as I'd end up dead.
Secondly I don't recall the manual telling me I should cool the brakes prior to parking.

I firmly believe I should be able to stand my 96k car on its nose as the brakes should be up to the job regardless. I should then be able to park go shopping whatever without waiting for the brakes to cool down!

They have replaced the discs only this time only for this issue and won't be replacing in the future if it happens again.

I have requested a meeting with service and sales when I collect the car. If the brakes aren't up to the job then surely they're not fit for purpose?
For the record I don't do track days or anything similar but do fast driving in Europe often.
Zebede

911 C4s cab - summer is fun :D

Panamera Turbo - fully loaded - gone
RS6 C7 - Panther Black - dodgy steering
911 GT3 - awesome but ate tyres
RS4 b8 - Black on Black with Black windows
911 Targa 4s 991 - Black with Grey Leather

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:06 am

zebede wrote:I've just had a similar problem, took car into dealer Tuesday, the brakes have apparently not been allowed to cool and have resultant cracking to the centre of the discs.
Firstly I do drive quick, but never thrashing it as I'd end up dead.
Secondly I don't recall the manual telling me I should cool the brakes prior to parking.

I firmly believe I should be able to stand my 96k car on its nose as the brakes should be up to the job regardless. I should then be able to park go shopping whatever without waiting for the brakes to cool down!

They have replaced the discs only this time only for this issue and won't be replacing in the future if it happens again.

I have requested a meeting with service and sales when I collect the car. If the brakes aren't up to the job then surely they're not fit for purpose?
For the record I don't do track days or anything similar but do fast driving in Europe often
For a minute, I thought you were going to say the dealer was going to try and wriggle out of it by saying the speed limit was 70 mph in the UK, and that you must have gone over that to damage them. :bash:

Pathetic isn't it - these kind of cars cannot be having these issues.
B5 B6 B7 B9

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:20 am

Unfortunately this sort of crapola is all too common with the brand now.

You receive zero preferential treatment for owning an RS or R8 product, same rules of engagement apply across the board, and that includes AUK.

As Mr Bannatyne says, 'I'm out'.

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 pm

hdpete wrote:Does this problem exist on facelift 2016 cars?
10,000 miles on my 16 facelift and brakes are perfect.

RS6chris!
Cruising

Post by RS6chris! » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Markp wrote:

It will do

Don't believe the hype Audis are "premium" and "reliable".

Sometimes wonder why I'm a fanboy... :bash:
RS6 C8 carbon black(merlin)
RS6 C8 launch edition
R8 V10 plus
C7 RS6 PE dynamic pack plus
C7 RS6
Porsche Panamera Turbo
C6 RS6 AVANT
RS4 B7
Golf R32 mk 5
BMW M3 E46
Golf R32 mk 5
Golf GTI mk 5
VW Passat 130d 4 motion
VW bora 150pd
Ford Mondeo Ghia X V6
Ford Focus zetec
Rover 214!!

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:44 pm

RS6chris! wrote:
Markp wrote:

It will do

Don't believe the hype Audis are "premium" and "reliable".

Sometimes wonder why I'm a fanboy... :bash:
Mine does seem both reliable and premium. But then I drive a 2CV as well so warped perception :)

zebede
2nd Gear

Post by zebede » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:18 pm

Well I picked the car up today, the discs have been changed front and rear, had a long chat with both the service advisor and the service manager, I have been advised that I should be allowing the brakes to cool prior to parking. Advice is from technical not the dealer. I have pointed out that this is complete b*llocks as how would I know the brakes are hot for a start, what do they expect me to do.

On another note they have replaced the suspension top mount to cure a bad rattle - it's still there and to top it off they have ripped my seat somehow whilst in there. Comedy of errors.
Zebede

Markp
5th Gear

Post by Markp » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:27 am

zebede wrote:Well I picked the car up today, the discs have been changed front and rear, had a long chat with both the service advisor and the service manager, I have been advised that I should be allowing the brakes to cool prior to parking. Advice is from technical not the dealer. I have pointed out that this is complete b*llocks as how would I know the brakes are hot for a start, what do they expect me to do.

On another note they have replaced the suspension top mount to cure a bad rattle - it's still there and to top it off they have ripped my seat somehow whilst in there. Comedy of errors.
To be fair if you come to an abrupt halt after a long brake - eg at roundabout or traffic lights - and sit with your foot on the pedal you risk pad transfer and vibration. Same with all fast cars. I creep or sit in neutral if that happens after I have been going for it. These are heavy fast cars. But parking shouldn't be an issue unless you are the fastest parker in town ;)

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:44 pm

zebede wrote:Well I picked the car up today, the discs have been changed front and rear, had a long chat with both the service advisor and the service manager, I have been advised that I should be allowing the brakes to cool prior to parking. Advice is from technical not the dealer. I have pointed out that this is complete b*llocks as how would I know the brakes are hot for a start, what do they expect me to do.

Ripped the leather in the drivers seat? WTF? :audibash:
B5 B6 B7 B9

zzz
2nd Gear

Post by zzz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:12 am

Markp wrote:

To be fair if you come to an abrupt halt after a long brake - eg at roundabout or traffic lights - and sit with your foot on the pedal you risk pad transfer and vibration. Same with all fast cars. I creep or sit in neutral if that happens after I have been going for it. These are heavy fast cars. But parking shouldn't be an issue unless you are the fastest parker in town ;)
I normally use park at the lights on an incline, it disengages the brakes & activates stop start.

zebede
2nd Gear

Post by zebede » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Ian_C wrote:

Ripped the leather in the drivers seat? WTF? :audibash:
Yep ripped the drivers seat, not sure how but they are replacing the seat cover
They claim it will definitely match
Zebede

Bit_evl
3rd Gear

Post by Bit_evl » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:36 pm

I took my RS6PE into Tetbury to finalise a glitch they found in PDI this week. Collected in March and 5500 miles on the clock. I have also suffered from the brake vibration as well in the last 1000 miles and asked them to look at it. They said that they had put the car on the MOT test and the vibration was just over the MOT guidance. I did not push them but they said that AUDI had agreed to replace the front discs. I just needed to sort a time. Great attitude and service.

I have been thinking through the possible cause and I suspect it is down to weight, power and autobox. I don't cane mine, I have not tracked it. I figure that if you use it well then the brakes will heat up as you drag 2000kgs down to a halt, the power means the autobox causes wild creep unless you hold it on the brakes so at every junction you sit hard on the brakes (with the stop-start as well) causing the heat to be trapped on the disc/pad. I have never warped a set of discs on any car in my life. I had the AMG E63S for 22k miles in two years and never even had the pads changed. I had a 550+ Bhp Skyline GTR33V and got to 108000 with one set of front discs at 80,000.

The only thing I can think of this is the challenge of holding it on the brakes at junctions, would ceramics make any difference on this situation ?

andywaddy
1st Gear

Post by andywaddy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Bit_evl wrote:I took my RS6PE into Tetbury to finalise a glitch they found in PDI this week. Collected in March and 5500 miles on the clock. I have also suffered from the brake vibration as well in the last 1000 miles and asked them to look at it. They said that they had put the car on the MOT test and the vibration was just over the MOT guidance. I did not push them but they said that AUDI had agreed to replace the front discs. I just needed to sort a time. Great attitude and service.

I have been thinking through the possible cause and I suspect it is down to weight, power and autobox. I don't cane mine, I have not tracked it. I figure that if you use it well then the brakes will heat up as you drag 2000kgs down to a halt, the power means the autobox causes wild creep unless you hold it on the brakes so at every junction you sit hard on the brakes (with the stop-start as well) causing the heat to be trapped on the disc/pad. I have never warped a set of discs on any car in my life. I had the AMG E63S for 22k miles in two years and never even had the pads changed. I had a 550+ Bhp Skyline GTR33V and got to 108000 with one set of front discs at 80,000.

The only thing I can think of this is the challenge of holding it on the brakes at junctions, would ceramics make any difference on this situation ?
I think most people tend to either knock it into neutral if on a flat or Park if on a gradient to try and avoid sitting on the brakes.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”