LED headlight condensation

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
feeltheburn
2nd Gear

Re: LED headlight condensation

Post by feeltheburn » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Varsity, now that you have , i think, explained that you had a similar problem and the Garage changed them out for you on your RS6 C7 we are all enlightened that the Garages are fobbing some members off.

Can you confirm that you had the same condensation problem, on the LEDs of a RS6 C7, as in the OP's picture?
Can you confirm that since the units have been replaced, that condensation has NEVER formed again.

If the answers are yes, then I am definately going to get mine looked at by Audi so thanks for heads up :bigwave:

And, for the record, we all know these are expensive cars. There is no question that those that have one are hardly scratching around for cash. I think there is even a guy on here that has/had a F430 indeed! [not that it is mentioned in every one of their replies so you may have missed it :notworthy: ]
That said, I have always been uncomfortable with the expectation that just because you have cash you should be treated differently. The guy that bought the SE model is just as entitled to fair treatment as any one else [which I hope was what you were saying]. I bought the car cause I always wanted an RS since I was a boy, not to let people know how much I spent. I consider myself to be in fortunate position to be able to afford to run let alone buy one. Sorry…not aimed at you specifically…Rant over :rant: …I must give Russell Brand a call :bigblink:
RS6 C7 (2014), Daytona Pearl, 21" Titanium, On Air, LEDs, Sports Exhaust, Dynamic Steering, Red Calipers, ACC, Top View, Connect, Tints, Rear Side Airbags, Rear heated seats; MP4S

lexos
Neutral

Post by lexos » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi,

I never had the problem on my old RS4 B7 (of course no leds)....I bought an RS6 C7 two weeks ago (no new , around one year old 2013), imported from germany.

and same issues as you (Led headlight)...I asked Audi Switzerland, no warranty as seems to be normal (if you have got the same issue on the rear lights, they will change them...)

For the price of the RS6...It's a bit ennoying...

Maybe the leds are producing heat and need a bit of fresh air coming from somewhere...

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:12 pm

IMG_1843.JPG
Old thread I know but as a new owner of one day I have noticed this same problem. I will be back to the dealer tomorrow.

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:37 pm

For what it is worth.....i do had condensation issues with my S6 (matrix leds).
A small amount of condensation is 'normal' and yes there are vents inside the lights to get most out of it.
But the right one took forever and covered half of the lightning house.
Sealing the top (lens/housing) didn't help, untill i removed my airfilter and took of the cover (where the fan is located). Turned out the cover lid was pretty much cracked on several 'bolt' taps. Kept it open with infra red light on it and replaced the cover. No issues since then... :).
Fact is the bolts that hold a holder for the printboard screws pretty hard on the cover witch might cause small cracks in the lid or even break them off, making water vapor to enter the housing...
Might want to take a look at it if you can, never know....
*When i adressed the issue (before i found out about the cover) they offcourse suggested to take off the lights etc ($$$)

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Mine 2014 model no issues

wildbore
4th Gear

Post by wildbore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:19 pm

skirs6 wrote:Old thread I know ... I will be back to the dealer tomorrow.
But did you read the thread? Have you read the owners' handbook? It's normal. What are you going to complain to the dealer about?

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:45 pm

wildbore wrote:
But did you read the thread? Have you read the owners' handbook? It's normal. What are you going to complain to the dealer about?
When I collected the car yesterday I noticed some condensation on the headlights. I mentioned this to the salesman and he said it was standard and Audi recommend you put the headlights on for 10 minutes and the heat will remove all the condensation.
Ok fine. Today I drove the car for most of the day with headlights on all day the condensation didn't go it go worse.
I will post the answer tomorrow.

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:27 pm

wildbore wrote:
Wildbore. I read the thread and the handbook. Went back to dealer today, New light unit ordered under warranty. Boom !!!

wildbore
4th Gear

Post by wildbore » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:14 am

skirs6 wrote:
wildbore wrote:
Wildbore. I read the thread and the handbook. Went back to dealer today, New light unit ordered under warranty. Boom !!!
Glad they are fixing it for you. You must have a faulty unit, as indicated by your subsequent elucidation regarding a prolonged drive failing to clear the lens. All units mist up whilst the vehicle is parked up, including those on my car and countless others. It should clear after the headlights have been switched on for a while as the fans circulate warm air through the unit. Yours wasn't clearing so there must have been an issue with the unit.

chandler99
2nd Gear

Post by chandler99 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:27 pm

0668D8E8-73C8-4F47-86C8-0C5747FCA656.jpeg
Not wanting to resurrect old threads but Audi are saying this is normal.. looks shocking to me.. or am I just been too fussy?

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:59 pm

That's just totally unacceptable on any vehicle, never mind a "premium" brand. Disgraceful that Audi considers that to be normal. Do better R&D to bloody sort it out! I'd be making a lot of noise at the dealer's if that was regularly happening to my car.

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 pm

Maybe my post of 2 years ago was too long....but it ISN'T NORMAL if it takes longer then a few minutes before the condensation is gone and definatly not normal if more then the have is covered with big water drops!
In 2017 i had it one my right light, this year on my left. In both cases it was THE PLASTIC COVER on the backside of the headlight. It is supposed to be waterproof with seal but on the inside of cover there is a small module screwed with 4 bolts onto the cover. 1 or more taps that hold the bolts break off and crack the coverplate big enough to full fog up the lens and not able to clear. Replaced it (luckly only a 10€ item at the dealer), took a long week to finally dry up on itself but since then again super dry!!
I helped many people with this issue and everybody that took the time to reply...confirmed they had broken coverplates aswell.
Not saying it is always the cover plate, but in most cases it is this simple cheap coverplate! Since some stealers are ready to bend you over and take you deep (in the wallet), please check the cover plate or let them pull it out so you can check it.
....unless you rather want to believe it is a hidden crack and stealer tries to trick you into a new headunit ;).
Feel free to thank me later ;).

Tadass910
5th Gear

Post by Tadass910 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:22 pm

No issues here, 2014 04 model

Fat Head
Neutral

Post by Fat Head » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:48 am

dasquade wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 pm
Maybe my post of 2 years ago was too long....but it ISN'T NORMAL if it takes longer then a few minutes before the condensation is gone and definatly not normal if more then the have is covered with big water drops!
In 2017 i had it one my right light, this year on my left. In both cases it was THE PLASTIC COVER on the backside of the headlight. It is supposed to be waterproof with seal but on the inside of cover there is a small module screwed with 4 bolts onto the cover. 1 or more taps that hold the bolts break off and crack the coverplate big enough to full fog up the lens and not able to clear. Replaced it (luckly only a 10€ item at the dealer), took a long week to finally dry up on itself but since then again super dry!!
I helped many people with this issue and everybody that took the time to reply...confirmed they had broken coverplates aswell.
Not saying it is always the cover plate, but in most cases it is this simple cheap coverplate! Since some stealers are ready to bend you over and take you deep (in the wallet), please check the cover plate or let them pull it out so you can check it.
....unless you rather want to believe it is a hidden crack and stealer tries to trick you into a new headunit ;).
Feel free to thank me later ;).
I have exactly the same issue on both headlights, do you have pictures of the cracked cover and ill have a look. does the headlight need to be removed to get to it? and front end off etc

dasquade
3rd Gear

Post by dasquade » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:31 am

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”