Carplay in 2018 C7

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Mumbojumbo321
Neutral

Carplay in 2018 C7

Post by Mumbojumbo321 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:37 pm

Hi All,

Long time lurker but new poster! I have learned a lot from the forum so thanks to you all for all the great knowledge shared!

I have been reading through all the previous CarPlay posts and still can't figure out what my late C7 RS6 should have. I have the USB ports in the armrest etc, but no Apple CarPlay as it stands... To get it activated, is this something that I should get Audi to do, or should I revert to the Telegram contact to get this done less formally!? And if Audi can do it, is this something they charge (a lot?) for?

Thanks in advance!

morski
3rd Gear

Re: Carplay in 2018 C7

Post by morski » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:23 pm

hi
You will be able to enable the carplay in your car with some updates which you have a few options for, 1st Audi who will probably give you ballache about how the stars are not aligned and it will cost you a childs kidney. 2nd you can get updates form people who are charging £100 or so for the cd usb etc and they will update it at their site or send you the usb etc or find the update online and download it to a usb and do the update yourself. There are instructions online out there and this will cost you nothing unless you have no idea bout technology etc then dont risk it
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

Mumbojumbo321
Neutral

Post by Mumbojumbo321 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 pm

OK - Thanks, I'll do some digging around a DIY option if there are options out there!

LostInSpace
Neutral

Post by LostInSpace » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:18 pm

As a prospective new owner, understanding options to add CarPlay has been part of my pre purchase research. Have a look at this guy https://thenavman.com/blogs/What-Audi-M ... -Do-I-Have he’s got a lot of good info and very reasonable prices. If you have 2x USB’s in the centre console, one of them should have a phone symbol by it. If you contact the Navman with a photo of the MMI version (instructions to find this also on his site) he’ll be able to confirm exactly what you need. No affiliation, haven’t used him, but is my preference based on internet research so far. Let us know how you get on and good luck - it’s certainly a bit of a black art determining options!

Piece
Neutral

Post by Piece » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:30 pm

This may, or may not, help. Check out a very recent YouTube video from VolksWizard. Shows how to update MMI for C7.5 variants for free. I’ve just done mine this way. 👍😀

Mumbojumbo321
Neutral

Post by Mumbojumbo321 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:38 am

Perfect, thanks! At least there are options!

LostInSpace
Neutral

Post by LostInSpace » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:01 pm

Piece wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:30 pm
This may, or may not, help. Check out a very recent YouTube video from VolksWizard. Shows how to update MMI for C7.5 variants for free. I’ve just done mine this way. 👍😀
Nice find. Will watch later, looks like some useful RS6 content too.

Veedub
Neutral

Post by Veedub » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:31 pm

Alternatively, if you'd prefer Audi to enable it, I did this via my local dealer and it cost about £360 iirc. Certainly more expensive but I felt more comfortable with Audi doing it-a few hundred pounds extra on what (then) cost me about £60k wasn't going to break the bank.

Good luck either way!

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:44 pm

I personally did the online download- free and updated the mmi via usb. Sorry cant provide further info on this as im not going to be responsible for someone getting it wrong and destroying their mmi system
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

Mumbojumbo321
Neutral

Post by Mumbojumbo321 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:16 pm

So I decided to go for the DIY option. I bought a (well reviewed) SD card with MMI update and instructions from eBay for a small sum and did the rest myself. Works perfectly and can’t argue with £30….

Chrismac13
Neutral

Post by Chrismac13 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:51 pm

Mumbojumbo321 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:16 pm
So I decided to go for the DIY option. I bought a (well reviewed) SD card with MMI update and instructions from eBay for a small sum and did the rest myself. Works perfectly and can’t argue with £30….
Did this also for £30 it was a cheap upgrade which so far is working fine.

LostInSpace
Neutral

Post by LostInSpace » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:17 pm

Good to hear reputable DIY options are working for those comfortable with this approach. Via Dealer also doesn't seem extortionate for peace of mind either. I need to focus on buying one first, but good to know adding CarPlay is easily done, one less thing to think about.

wildbore
4th Gear

Post by wildbore » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:00 pm

Ok, I have just done this successfully. Here are a few observations to help:
1) Mine is a very early C7.5 car (delivered to dealership early Jan 2015). This had been a concern of mine as, when Apple CarPlay was first made available as a retrospective upgrade on C7.5 cars by Audi, only later MY16 and above cars were eligible so I had assumed there was some hardware-related reason the early cars didn't support it, but it turns out there is no issue with early C7.5 cars running CarPlay/Android Auto.
2) I actually have an Android phone, and Android auto works very well indeed, although I haven't yet worked out the slickest way of managing the use of Android Auto and the rest of the MMI simultaneously. (Most reviews - all the ones I found - only ever told you that CarPlay worked and never confirmed that Andorid Auto also worked).
3) The upgrade is an easy DIY job. I can't see what could go wrong if you follow the instructions exactly. It took about 40 minutes all in.
4) I left the engine running throughout - I doubt my battery (the original) would be at risk of dropping the voltage and stopping the upgrade but why take the risk? The MMI is out of action and so cannot warn you of an imminent switch-off by the battery management module.
5) I disabled Start-Stop for the duration of the upgrade - just by using the switch on the dash. I doubt it would have kicked in and turned off the engine, but you never know.
6) I only had one SD card to hand - from my camera. It is formatted ex-FAT, not FAT32, and I didn't want to blat the contents, either, so I just used it as-is, and it was fine. The firmware folders just sat next to folders of pics. The firmware folders (called "1" and "2") and some files all sit at the root level of the SD Card.
7)Once you are in Android Auto, the MMI touchpad to the right of the gear selector works as a way of navigating the display. On some upgrade videos I watched, owners were saying that navigating via the rotating dial is a pain (it is, a bit) but the touchscreen makes it quite easy and fast to move around the phone screen.
8) My car is too early for wireless charging but it does have Audi Phonebox (wireless charging was promised in the brochure but MY15 cars arrived without it). I have never used the Phonebox up to now as I always connected via rSAP (the joy of a Samsung phone). Now, I have to connect to the car using a wire (of course) and I will start using the Phonebox, too. One good thing is that you can enable a reminder in the MMI if you leave the phone in the car (new feature in this release of the firmware). As soon as you open the driver's door it reminds you the phone is still in the car. Cool. EDIT: F**K knows why the forum engine thinks I want a smiley face instead of an eighth bullet point. Kids today, eh? Can't live without their emojis.
9) For those people preferring that Audi do the job, bear in mind that Audi will install the official update and this DIY install is an unofficial one. The difference is that the unofficial one has a permanent licence for mapping burned into it - so my next job is to install the latest nav maps for free. And I feel no guilt because Audi is ripping us off royally by charging £300-ish for each update (of which there are two per year). The only disappointment is that you can't get the online traffic for free, too.
10) Just remembered this one: The system reboots many times during the update (it tells you it is going to do that). Mine rebooted as promised but it only folded the screen away once - right at the end of the process. It took 30 seconds for the screen to open up again - so hold your nerve and don't start stabbing buttons at that point!

EDIT 2: No need to buy an SD Card off the internet with the firmware already on it - just follow the links in this thread and download the firmware for free. That £30 saved will buy you enough petrol to keep the engine running for almost all of the 40 minute upgrade time!

Good luck - but you really don't need it.

AudmRS6
Neutral

Post by AudmRS6 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:42 pm

Just done this update to mine as well (2015 C7.5)

The best information i found about the update is here: https://youtu.be/VS21Lyess7o (Mr Fix)

Links to the files to download can be found in the video description and/or by searching google for Audi C7 "metainfo2" carplay install exploit (https://gprivate.com/63e2n)

You can use an SD card formatted to exFAT if you SD card is over 32GB.

Works a dream, there is also a video to update your onboard nav maps for free too (https://youtu.be/ryMud5Q9h9U)

Happy to answer questions if you need?

Thanks,
Adam.

carlos50
Neutral

Post by carlos50 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:42 am

Hi guys

Im new to the forum and will hopefully be picking up a March 2016 RS6 at the end of the week, and I’m interested in the Carplay & Nav map updates, but Im not confident downloading the files from the internet and putting onto an SD card myself, happy enough to insert and follow instructions but the initial steps of downloading and formatting etc put me off, is there an option where I can buy these updates on an SD card ready to go, without going to Audi?

Im told the car has the High version MMI and Carplay is a compatible update.

Im also looking into Traffic Sign retofit and reverse camera, despite being a huge spec car it doesn’t have those options which I really wanted, Ive had some quotes from the usual sources in the UK, none close to me however and assume Traffic Sign can’t be retrofitted by SD card?

Thanks
Carl

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”