£14k Rear Diff Failure Warranty Issue

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
PresaRS6
Neutral

£14k Rear Diff Failure Warranty Issue

Post by PresaRS6 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:38 pm

RS6 Performance 2017 - 48k miles
So I had my diff serviced by my local Audi dealer and 2 months later it starts making a whining noise.
Took it in and asked them to look at it as part of the inspection service and oil strainer recall that was due.
Refused to test drive it as they found a nail in the inner edge of a tyre and wanted to charge £400 for one tyre! So I took the car back on the Friday after the service and sorted it.
Took the car straight back on the Monday as the whining was getting much louder when cold. The dealer didn't look at the car for two weeks despite my chasing. I then get a call to say they've plugged in their diagnostics tool which has flagged that the car has been 'chip tuned' and my extended warranty is void! Apparently its the first time this has flagged.
They now want to charge me £14k to replace the diff.
The car was also driven out of the bays into the car park with no diff oil in which they had drained, suggesting this was acceptable.
Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on and suggestions of how to deal with this mess. Obviously I haven't had it 'chip tuned' I assume they mean the ECU is showing as being altered, which would have needed to happen over the weekend I fitted the tyres!
Last edited by PresaRS6 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Re: Rear Diff Failure Warranty Issue

Post by stuartbarriskell » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:39 am

Might help if you lay out the history of the car, how long owned, new/used, etc... irrespective, reading this with great interest !

Talk about wriggling out of a repair. Guessing you never bought the car new ?.. sounds like you've a by the book service manager who has taken the hump over a tyre.

How do you know they drove it with no oil in the diff?

Lots of questions on this one.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Current stable: B8 RS4.
13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
MV Agusta Reparto Corse Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

PresaRS6
Neutral

Post by PresaRS6 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:05 am

I bought the car from a performance car dealer back in May 2020 with a 12 month Audi warranty. It has been maticulously maintained and serviced by my local dealer ever since with no issues flagged. The dealer confirmed that the diagnostics tool automatically flags any ECU map issues when connected and has not done so at any of the inspection services, including the one undertaken the week before.
One thing that I've now remembered did happen when I picked the car up was that they convinced me to have the audi data plug installed, which connects to the OBD port. He had problems setting it up pulling it out numerous times, could that be the cause!? How they can suggest I had the car remapped over the weekend before it came back I will never know, especially as I had already reported the diff issue.
In terms of driving it with no diff oil in, the service rep said if I wanted to take the car they would need to put some oil into it. I asked him how it was back out in the car park and he said it didn't matter as it hadn't been driven far. He has subsequently tried to correct that in a recent email, suggesting he was wrong and they actually pushed it out into a space in the car park!

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:50 am

Cant help with the tech side of things but FWIW I'd ask to have a meeting with the service manager and have him explain their inactions, why nothing has flagged up before and without doubt challenge the pushing the car out story which let's face it never happened, its good you have something back in writing in regard to that.

I definitely wouldn't deal with this over the phone, face to face is the only way and take someone with you.

Pretty sure others on here will give you advice..

. Best of luck

13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

CRSRS
1st Gear

Post by CRSRS » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:45 am

I had the same issue having bought mine directly from Audi. They can print out the diagnostic which shows you when td1 flag was raised( normally when they plug it in). Good luck
2007 RS4 Avus avant - now gone
2013 RS3 black - bye bye
2013 B8 RS4 - Sepang, Ceramics, Buckets, Carbon pack, Sports pack, ACC, B&O, privacy. - now gone
2017 C7 PE - Panther, Ceramics, Carbon pack, BO upgrade.

PresaRS6
Neutral

Post by PresaRS6 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:54 pm

An update:
It hasn't flagged a TD1 warranty key, but a TXD warranty key, which has exactly the same descriptor 'vehicle check code' software in the ECM has changed. Does anyone know the difference, I can't find anything about TXD on the Web? The dealer is clueless, just insisting it's chip tuned with zero evidence.

One thought I have had is whether the CETE air suspension lowering module that I used to have fitted has flagged this code. I assume the ECU controls the air suspension which the CETE module must interfere with!?

harey
Neutral

Re: £14k Rear Diff Failure Warranty Issue

Post by harey » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:41 am

I guess the Audi Warranty was transferred from the previous owner? Can you ask the selling dealer for confirmation they completed the ECU check?
RS4 Avant (B9) Sports Edition
Also: Q4 e-tron, Lotus Evora
Previous Highlights: RS6 Avant Performance, RS7, S4 Avant, M5, M3, E55, A45, Maserati Gransport, Maserati 3200 & Lexus ISF

CRSRS
1st Gear

Post by CRSRS » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:40 am

PresaRS6 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:54 pm
An update:
It hasn't flagged a TD1 warranty key, but a TXD warranty key, which has exactly the same descriptor 'vehicle check code' software in the ECM has changed. Does anyone know the difference, I can't find anything about TXD on the Web? The dealer is clueless, just insisting it's chip tuned with zero evidence.

One thought I have had is whether the CETE air suspension lowering module that I used to have fitted has flagged this code. I assume the ECU controls the air suspension which the CETE module must interfere with!?
Had exactly the same thing, my dealer who i know very well said the same thing. Couldnt tell me what had been changed only that something had been. Changing the ECU produces this flag too. Hate to say it but you will do well to get Audi to change their mind.
2007 RS4 Avus avant - now gone
2013 RS3 black - bye bye
2013 B8 RS4 - Sepang, Ceramics, Buckets, Carbon pack, Sports pack, ACC, B&O, privacy. - now gone
2017 C7 PE - Panther, Ceramics, Carbon pack, BO upgrade.

PresaRS6
Neutral

Post by PresaRS6 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:09 pm

An Audi Extended Warranty was put on the car by previous dealer, not an Audi dealer. He says they do their usual diagnostics check and nothing was flagged. I also spoke to Newcastle Audi who maintained the car for the first three years and had no record of any warranty key reports. It appears this warranty key has just been flagged now at the point of a claim!!!! I also recently renewed the audi warranty online, which requires a reg number and quote to be issued, you'd expect an existing warranty key to flag during that process.

So many tech questions still!

Is an automatic warranty key in the Elsapro system limited to TD1 indicating a chip tune, as that has not happened.

My understanding from research is that TD1 cannot be manually reported by a Tech. Are any of the others automatic or are they all manual, such as TXD that I have just had reported after 5 years and no engine tune remap!

As it's not a TD1 the onus is on the dealer to explain what it actually means and if it is a manual flag what is the supporting evidence and why this has only just been reported at a major warranty claim! TD1 appears to be reserved for a confirmed engine tune or unauthorised flash of the ECU, automatically identified by Audi's diagnostics system when connected and always runs in the background whether a Tech is interrogating the ECU or not. This doesn't match with what my dealer is trying to suggest.

Any Techs on here who can confirm whether the TXD Warranty key is manual only and is that the difference between TXD and TD1?

Thanks for all the replies so far, really appreciated.

harey
Neutral

Post by harey » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:02 pm

Speaking from experience, dealers will increase their checks, when it matters; and typically when any (expensive) work needs approval. Which is to ensure cover for their costs.

As the selling dealer extended the warranty, I would look to get their support. They must have felt it was viable to extend the Audi Warranty, and it be clear of any modifications/issues, to ensure it was valid.
Previous Highlights: RS6 Avant Performance, RS7, S4 Avant, M5, M3, E55, A45, Maserati Gransport, Maserati 3200 & Lexus ISF

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:28 am

harey wrote: As the selling dealer extended the warranty, I would look to get their support. They must have felt it was viable to extend the Audi Warranty, and it be clear of any modifications/issues, to ensure it was valid.
Best point made so far !

13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:24 pm

Any update on this ?

13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

PresaRS6
Neutral

Post by PresaRS6 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:08 pm

Hi all, so update is:

My local dealer has had it confirmed from Audi UK that their relatively new diagnostic software that operates behind the scenes whenever the car is connected to their diagnostics system picked up that the car was actually TD1 back in May 2021. This was the first time I took the car for an inspection and oil change service after buying the car. Still had no more info as to whether it is tuned now or was in the past, as their system can detect both.

This isn't flagged to your local dealer, as I was never informed then or after a further two visits, until the warranty claim visit.
Furthermore Audi UK continue to sell you extended warranty, as it requires no inspection or testing, just an online purchase.

The selling independent dealer claims he knew nothing of the issue and it went in to Audi Newcastle for an interim inspection and oil change service just before I bought it and obviously didn't flag then. I have the service receipts with the car. The only possibility was that it wasn't connected to the diagnostic equipment.

What I'm trying to establish now:

1. Is the car still tuned, if so is there any info that gives away who did it, because I'm told the ECU in the RS6 has no date stamps to show when. Suspecting it is no longer tuned and won't be able to establish when through this route. Trying to find a local tuner near to me to go and connect to the car.

2. What information do Audi have in the 'long' diagnostics log that might show when it was done. Have a Master Tech with good diagnostics experience from Boston Audi that I contacted through LinkedIn, who has been really helpful and will review this log if I can get hold of it.

3. When was that car last connected to Audi diagnostics prior to my purchase.

At the moment I'm left holding the s**t end of the stick on this unless I can find some evidence. Otherwise the selling dealer can just say that I did it.

Been a life long Audi fan, but I've had enough, next car won't be and I will be wanting a diagnostics report done before purchase with evidence.

harey
Neutral

Post by harey » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:07 am

I would speak with the selling dealer. If they sold you the vehicle with the extended warranty, as a benefit/inclusion of the purchase, they should have made sure it was valid (in my view).

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:57 pm

harey wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:07 am
I would speak with the selling dealer. If they sold you the vehicle with the extended warranty, as a benefit/inclusion of the purchase, they should have made sure it was valid (in my view).
Agree, even though the Audi dealer is being a tw@t which is the norm for them anyway, the onus lies with the selling dealer as to prove whether they sold you a chipped car and i think it would be up to them to prove otherwise. Maybe look at cutting out all this ballache and work with the selling dealer to agree a repair as i very much doubt you will get anywhere with the dealership or audi uk.
well thats my opinion
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”