Living with an RS6?

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Living with an RS6?

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:28 pm

Former B7 RS4 owner here with a few q’s for the RS6 crew.

I’m currently tossing up getting into a C7, or keeping my Disco 4 and buying an M2/M3 Competition as well. I do the occasional camping / mountain biking / snow trips that require me to drive on less than ideal surfaces, though I don’t necessarily need to do any proper off-roading.

How’s the suspension over bumpy roads / dirt tracks? Can you raise the air suspension? How’s the dynamic pack go? My lowered B7 with KW V3s was painful and I don’t want to repeat that experience.

What’s the smallest wheels you can put on? 19”? Looking for more comfort over rougher roads.

Anyone with an aftermarket exhaust (ie akrapovic) - how is it on long journeys?

Any reliability issues to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich85
Neutral

Re: Living with an RS6?

Post by Rich85 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:27 pm

My previous car was a 2015 A6 allroad and was the first car I've owned with air suspension. If you want comfort then air is the way to go and can be raised or lowered. I have DRC on my RS6 and was actually surprised at how well it rides although I am on the 20inch forged rims which probably helps.

Personally I think you would struggle to put 19s on one of these, I can barely get my wheel brush in between the caliper and alloy.

List of things to look out for, here's a few and I'm sure people may add or correct:
- Oil strainer (official campaign out for this now) can block and goose the turbos (had mine done under warranty)
- 21inch alloys prone to cracking I believe on earlier cars
- Disc warping although maybe down to misuse?
- Coolant Hose can rub on firewall clips on facelift cars
- High pressure fuel pumps
- PCV valve
- On DRC equipped cars and I have personally had this issue, knocking from dampers and fast rebound in dynamic. System refilled and repressured under warranty

si_b
Neutral

Post by si_b » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:59 pm

My previous RS6 was on air and you can lift the suspension. Very comfortable on the road, but not the best for very spirited driving on bumpier roads or if you expect it to be absolutely flat through fast corners. It suited me fine though.

I took it fishing plenty of times driving across grass fields and down rutted tracks without a problem with the ground clearance. Width was another matter..

This picture was about a mile off the nearest tarmac road.
Attachments
0907D89B-44C3-4370-B773-97552C58E77C.jpeg

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:10 pm

AlexB7RS4 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:28 pm
Former B7 RS4 owner here with a few q’s for the RS6 crew.

I’m currently tossing up getting into a C7, or keeping my Disco 4 and buying an M2/M3 Competition as well. I do the occasional camping / mountain biking / snow trips that require me to drive on less than ideal surfaces, though I don’t necessarily need to do any proper off-roading.

How’s the suspension over bumpy roads / dirt tracks? Can you raise the air suspension? How’s the dynamic pack go? My lowered B7 with KW V3s was painful and I don’t want to repeat that experience.

What’s the smallest wheels you can put on? 19”? Looking for more comfort over rougher roads.

Anyone with an aftermarket exhaust (ie akrapovic) - how is it on long journeys?

Any reliability issues to look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can get my mountain bike in the boot with wheels and seat off, plus my sons' bike on top of it with no bother.

Akrapovic exhaust is awesome and doesn't present any issues with drone etc when hurtling down the motorway.

I also take it camping with the family and on DRC it rides well 'offroad' in comfort with no issues.

It's breadth of skills and abilities really do make it a one car garage solution...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”