GPS incorrect positioning

4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 553 bhp
4.0 V8 40v biturbo TFSI - 597 bhp (Performance)
Nick_T
Neutral

GPS incorrect positioning

Post by Nick_T » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:17 pm

My 2016 RS6 GPS is now pretty consistently out. Sometimes by meters but then sometimes by miles. It thinks sometimes I'm going in a slightly different direction so gradually gets worse. Started happening after last service at Audi after they also updated the MMI software (factory recall I believe). Probably a coincidence.

Issue appeared to be intermittent. Didn't notice it as rarely used GPS as I use Waze on the phone. Sometimes I check and it is spot on.

Checking VCDS shows the first instance of an issue was same date as service. Might be they reset the errors at that point.

Probably need a new shark fin / GPS antenna?

Error is:

2565 - GPS Antenna
B1054 13 [009] - Open Circuit

Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 27
Reset counter: 183
Mileage: 31089 km
Date: 2019.07.25
Time: 11:41:20

Voltage terminal 30: 14.2 V

Anyone else confirm the issue? Car went out of warranty last year

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

zzz
2nd Gear

Re: GPS incorrect positioning

Post by zzz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm

I have the same issue, when you use the MMI and go into the current location - it shows as no satellites connected. I've done a couple of continental trips, so I'm currently in the north sea 0_o. The further you travel the worse it gets, the car tries to keep you in the ballpark by using the accelerometers and it ordinarily does an OK job of that. Throw in a ferry and you need to reset the position (you can do this by entering the demo mode and manually setting the car to the current location) and that brings you back to base and driving with the approximation.
That said, I'm dropping the car off at Audi towards the end of the month and I'll let you know what they say & costs. I do have an extended warranty - all components, but I suppose they will count this as "electrical" and therefore not covered.

Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm

I've never had a notification of no signal on my MMI. Will try resetting but I think I have an issue with the GPS antenna unfortunately. I think you have to take the roof lining off to gain access to it though.

zzz
2nd Gear

Post by zzz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:23 pm

No, you don't get a notification of no signal, you only get to see that you have a connection to X number of satellites by going into part of the mmi when you have a destination programmed in - it's a bit convoluted and I can't recite from memory but will let yu know a bit later.

zzz
2nd Gear

Post by zzz » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:41 pm

To double check no satellites recieved, hit:
Nav
Tour (top left)
Scroll to the top of the list where it shows your perceived location, press down on the mmi wheel
Scroll to the top and it tells you the number of satellites you're connected to.

To reset your position:
Hit nav>settings.
Scroll to the bottom (presentation mode)>set start location
Enter exactly where you are and it'll reset your position.

Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:05 pm

zzz wrote:To double check no satellites recieved, hit:
Nav
Tour (top left)
Scroll to the top of the list where it shows your perceived location, press down on the mmi wheel
Scroll to the top and it tells you the number of satellites you're connected to.

To reset your position:
Hit nav>settings.
Scroll to the bottom (presentation mode)>set start location
Enter exactly where you are and it'll reset your position.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'd looked for this previously but not with a destination set.

morski
3rd Gear

Post by morski » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:09 pm

Its a common problem on the 4G model. Roof antenna gets water in it and sat nav stops working. Needs a replacement roof antenna. Changing it easier on the avant as only the rear section of the roof trim needs lowering for access. You can use the original cover from your old one so it will not need repainting.
RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics & Lots more..
A6 BiTdi Avant
Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Retrim

Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:44 am

Confirmed it was seeing no satellite today on my way back from London. Odd thing is that it was only 20 meters or so out after 50 miles. As soon as I turned off of the M11 though it all went to pot.

Wonder if it is worth trying to replace myself or just get a garage to do it. I like to think I'm quite handy, maybe I'll get a price first.

zzz
2nd Gear

Post by zzz » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Car has been in, confirmed as corrosion on the antenna internals and maybe the wiring. No cover with extended all components warranty as aerial are specifically excluded. Quoted £600 for a new part and fitting, I felt that was a bit rich.
Think I'll take it to my preferred independent for this one.

Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:22 am

Ouch, that's a little rich! I wonder how much the parts are and if it is worth a few hours on a weekend to swap!?

zzz
2nd Gear

Post by zzz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:42 am

I saw a few on fleabay for £120 but they're unpainted so you have that to contend with. I bought the correct colour (second hand) for £30 - thought it was worth a punt. Also found this: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ab22QyG so it does look pretty straight forward. Even if the cable itself is corroded it looks like there is plenty of length to crimp a fresh connection on.

Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 am

I still haven't fixed my GPS antenna, went up to the Lake District from Cambridgeshire where I live and now my car is convinced it is in France and now insists on initiating the headlamp conversion for driving on the right, I can't seem to turn this off or reset the GPS position even with the fix posted above. I set the presentation start location to be my current position but the moment presentation mode exists it goes back to France :(

zzz
2nd Gear

Post by zzz » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:04 am

I bought a second hand one on eBay for £30 (Audi A6, S6 (C7-4G) 2014 Aerial GPS antenna 4G0035503A MJA11387) and fitted it in an hour or so using the instructions in the link posted here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ab22QyG
I also bought a cheap trim removal kit from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Removal-Phyles ... 874&sr=8-5
I only had to remove the rear grab handles and the first piece of trim that is on the roof liner closest to the top of the boot lid. I could pull the roof liner down enough to get the access I needed. I can post up some pictures later if you get the part.

Nick_T
Neutral

Post by Nick_T » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 pm

zzz wrote:I bought a second hand one on eBay for £30 (Audi A6, S6 (C7-4G) 2014 Aerial GPS antenna 4G0035503A MJA11387) and fitted it in an hour or so using the instructions in the link posted here: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ab22QyG
I also bought a cheap trim removal kit from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Removal-Phyles ... 874&sr=8-5
I only had to remove the rear grab handles and the first piece of trim that is on the roof liner closest to the top of the boot lid. I could pull the roof liner down enough to get the access I needed. I can post up some pictures later if you get the part.
Thanks, I've ordered the kit as it seems like it'll be useful anyway and will see about removing the trim at the weekend if it turns up in time. Keeping an eye out for the antenna, unsure if it needs to be the exact model you stated?

zzz
2nd Gear

Post by zzz » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:57 pm

The trim kit is ok, a bit flexible, I suppose that is fine for not damaging. It did the job and now lies in the infrequently used tools drawer :D

I'm unsure if other model numbers will work with the car - I popped mine off before ordering and had a look at the part number then searched for that - yours could be different :?

A couple of things to be aware of.
I only had to take off the uppermost rear trim at the boot - it was a bit tight to get in but saved taking off the other parts of trim.
The trim is held in by popping fasteners.
The shark fin is held on by the blue box below - IIRC it was a Torx bolt and I had to use a low profile ratchet to get in there (because I was lazy with the trim). Once you have it undone the shark fin lifts off and has a stitcker on the base telling you the exact model number.
The wires that attach to the blue parts are actually plugs and pull out with long nosed pilers.

Return to “RS6 (C7 Typ 4G) 2013-2018”