RS4 v 911 GT3?

Porsche Automobil Holding SE
Housemaster
1st Gear

Re: RE: Re: RE: RS4 v 911 GT3?

Post by Housemaster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:23 pm

karl wrote:Housemaster - Can you explain what you mean when you say the GT3 is hard work?
The 996 GT3 in both Mk1 and Mk2 is a much more raw car than the current 997 GT3, which is more more suited to day to day work, though as I said the 996 never once caused me an issue.

The 996 GT3 does not have the electronics of the 997 version and is very reliant on setup and tyre pressures. Most 6 GT3's will be running a non standard geo setup I suspect and if this is track biased it makes the car very hard work on the road, the factory settings too are no walk in the park and its still hard work. It will cause the car to follow contours and cambers like a race car and on bumpy roads will become very unsettled and move around a lot. This takes getting use to and really this is what means on most roads the RS4 will be quicker due to far superior damping. An RS4 won't see 80% of the bumps that will have a 6 GT3 skipping and bouncing all over the place and you really need to be on your game to drive a GT3 quickly on a bumpy road as it will bite your ass off if you're not. What you learn to do is let the car move around, don't fight it and play yourself into how it reacts but it never gives you time to rest.

Having said this it has steering, braking and engine from a race car, really, its epic in this department. You will quickly realise how dull the RS4 steering is once you drive a well set up 6 GT3 and you think the RS4 engine is good (for it is) then you need to drive a GT3 lump. The sound it makes over 6000 rpm is spine tingling and the throttle response is scaple sharp. On a track of course it all makes sense and the thing shows its real skill and this is why so many people use them. You can spank the arse of GT3's for 10's of thousands of miles and they will keep giving. THIS is what you are paying for.

Very special car that you either get or you don't and no right or wrong. Turbo is a much better road car no question, not even on the same page of special however. You will know in less than a mile if you NEED one.

karl
4th Gear

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: RS4 v 911 GT3?

Post by karl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 pm

That's a great write-up, many thanks for it. It seems I may have to book a test drive to get my answer
then!

Adam
4th Gear

Post by Adam » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:32 am

are people really comparing an RS4 to a 911 let alone a GT3 or TT - bizarre!

considering switching to a 996TT but still can't get my head round how good the RS is, and how often I use the boot space and my shopping would have to follow me in a taxi

still love 911s but comparing a 911 GT dynamically to a 4 door saloon/estate is unfair fight to say the least, to mention them both in the smae comparison is testament to the RS4 abilities

dace
5th Gear

Post by dace » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:11 pm

I really had my heart set on a 996TT, until I drove one. It was standard, however not a patch on my RS4, albeit mine has been breathed on my MRC and looked after by APS.

I have been in a 996 GT3 at Vmax and they are special. They look, handle and sound fantastic. Very similar performance in a straight line, however as previously stated, on a track.......
Dave

BlingBling
4th Gear

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: RS4 v 911 GT3?

Post by BlingBling » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 pm

dace wrote:I really had my heart set on a 996TT, until I drove one. It was standard, however not a patch on my RS4, albeit mine has been breathed on my MRC and looked after by APS.

I have been in a 996 GT3 at Vmax and they are special. They look, handle and sound fantastic. Very similar performance in a straight line, however as previously stated, on a track.......
So your comparing apples with oranges :roll: I am sure the 996TT breathed on by MRC would tell a different story.

dace
5th Gear

Post by dace » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:22 pm

BlingBling wrote:
dace wrote:I really had my heart set on a 996TT, until I drove one. It was standard, however not a patch on my RS4, albeit mine has been breathed on my MRC and looked after by APS.

So your comparing apples with oranges :roll: I am sure the 996TT breathed on by MRC would tell a different story.
Only sharing my experience! My point is that I was surprised how poor a standard 996TT is.
Dave

Contigo
Top Gear

RE: Re: RE: RS4 v 911 GT3?

Post by Contigo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:49 pm

My uncle has owned Porkers over the years and whilst I enjoy them I really do not see the attraction of the vehicle.

I think If I did go for one it would be the last of the 993 Air cooled wide bodied S model.
2001 Avus Silver RS4 B5 60k on clock, MRC Custom Remap, Sunroof, Bluetooth prep

2006 Daytona Grey RS4 B7, RNS-E - SOLD

2006 BMW M6 - GONE

BlingBling
4th Gear

Post by BlingBling » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:07 pm

dace wrote:
BlingBling wrote:

Only sharing my experience! My point is that I was surprised how poor a standard 996TT is.
Sharing experiences is all the good but your experience was based on a modified RS4. The standard 996TT never stood a chance. Your experience would add value if they were based on base models.

dace
5th Gear

RS4 v GT3

Post by dace » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:42 pm

RS4 v GT3RS. Now is that a fair comparison?
Attachments
OultonPark25-02-09151(1).jpg
Dave

BlingBling
4th Gear

RE: RS4 v GT3

Post by BlingBling » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Probably in your own, exclusive part of the world.

Return to “Porsche”